Audiophile wanna-be looking for best over ear headphone for trip hop
Feb 19, 2013 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kypron

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking to buy a new set of headphones, with possible a DAC and amp if needed.  The problem is, I can't really try out too many types at local stores due to limited selection where I am.  The main place I'll be using them is off of my pc, which has a Xonar DG in it, and I also have Corsair SP2500 speakers and Sennheiser PC 350.  I've read a lot of the threads on here about basshead headphones, but it seems like I can't find a lot of them online anymore (discontinued)

I wish I had a more discerning ear for music, but to be honest I'm a sucker for huge amounts of bass, which tends to muddy the sound I know.  I listen to a lot of trip hop and drum and bass, and since I live in an apartment I want a real wicked set of cans to have as loud as I want.  Around 500 bucks for the headphones, with more for an amp is acceptable for me.  

I've currently been looking at - Sennheiser HD 650, Hifiman He400, Sennheiser momentum, AKG k702, Beyer DT880, AkG Q701, Grado SR325si, and possibly using a Fiio E17 with E09K amp\dac. (optical output from sound card) or alternately getting a Xonar essence Xtx or Creative titanium HD.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 12
I Doubt that those AKG's (I have Q701's) will do it for bass heavy stuff.
Nor will the Grados.

out of the remaining three, i think the best for bass heavy music is the HE-400, but overall, the HD650.
I've had both of the above as well, i only have the HD650's now.
It's a personal thing for sure.
Thing is the senns require a fairly meaty amp, the hifimans do not require such a powerhouse of an amp to run well.
if you decide on the hifiman's eventually, get the velour pads for the love of god.

No comment had been made about the momentums, as i have never owned, or even heard them, sorry :frowning2:

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 12
So the HD 650s can do very low sub bass pretty good?  I mean, if you crank up the bass on the equalizer will it really rumble?  I was looking at the HD 650\Fiio E17 with E09K to power them.  Do you figure that would be enough power?  Thanks for the response.  (I've heard the momentum's are really good for bass, and are good for portable devices because of low impedance) I should mention I'm in Canada, so those HD 650s go for 500 + for some reason.....

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 12
Hey, fellow bass head and DnB fan... You can be an audiophile and still love bass, so no worries... but PLEASE stay away from that bass boost, producers like me would prefer you let us give you the bass how we intended it.
L3000.gif

You have to remember that these are earphones, and you're not going to get massive low frequency impact, since the drivers in 'phones just won't displace as much air as a dedicated subwoofer would.

Now, I just got some Hifiman HE-400s sight unseen, and they go very low... for example, using this site for test tones, I can personally hear noticeable sub bass in the "Frequency Response" test right when the voiceover says "10 hertz", so maybe it's at 30 or so by that point.

But I'm obviously not getting the arm-hair moving impact at 30 hz that I get from the two 15"s in my car. 
biggrin.gif

As the saying goes, "there's no replacement for displacement".

I'd go for the HE-400s, personally; maybe get them from an online store that has a return policy, just in case you don't feel the same as I do.

On my work machine, a Mac Pro, I use an old Focusrite Saffire audio interface (an external pro audio sound card), and on my gaming PC, I use a Titanium HD. I might get a Schiit amp to give myself a bit more headroom.

I'm using the stock pleather pads on the HE-400s, and they seem OK so far; I've read on this site that the velour lowers the bass impact a bit, so who knows.

P.S I'm coming to the HE-400s from Denon D2000s, which are discontinued.

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 12
You can have good amount of bass and bass impact with headphones at low volume levels, you just need specific setups for that intended use. M-Audio Q40 + ZO is like subs strapped to your ears, no need to go loud on volume before satisfies you.

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 12
Yeah, I realize that a huge sound system with a sub would be better, it just sucks I'm always in an apartment so I can't crank it ever.  I wish I could get a couple 12" subs and pump it up.  My corsair's do pound though!  As for hearing loss, well, I'm an engineer so what with the constant sound of pumps\fans\chillers I'll probably be deaf in ten years anyway.....  I'm leaning towards either the He-400s or the HD 650s, I'm gonna try and find a place that would let me listen to them first if possible.  I'll look into those M-audio q40s as well, havent heard much about them.  Thanks people.

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 12
Ear plugs for work. Do it if you want to enjoy music when older.

That said, closed cans will give you "more" bass out of the box. Don't exclude them in your choices.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #9 of 12
I wonder if wearing closed headphones playing music from an ipod at work would count as ear protection.....But what about those Sony MDR-XB headphones?  I hear good and bad things, but the bass sounds pretty extreme at least.

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #10 of 12
DT770's actually have a lot of isolation.. and may just have the most satisfying sub bass in any headphone I've experienced.. maybe that could be a consideration.

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 12
So on a whim I bought a pair of JVC HAM5X for 37 bucks.  Wow, these things slam bass like crazy, really seem to be able to put out all levels of bass with no distortion.  The thing is, everything else is somewhat ho-hum, and they are ugly as sin.  Can't expect too much for that price though.... I'm still gonna buy a REAL set of headphones soon, I will look into those DT770's.   I'm leaning towards either Senn HD 650s or HIFIMAN He-400s.  Thanks for all suggestions.

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #12 of 12
So on a whim I bought a pair of JVC HAM5X for 37 bucks.  Wow, these things slam bass like crazy, really seem to be able to put out all levels of bass with no distortion.  The thing is, everything else is somewhat ho-hum, and they are ugly as sin.  Can't expect too much for that price though.... I'm still gonna buy a REAL set of headphones soon, I will look into those DT770's.   I'm leaning towards either Senn HD 650s or HIFIMAN He-400s.  Thanks for all suggestions.

Just buy them already :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back