Audiophile Optimizer v. Fidelizer?
Mar 2, 2017 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

latestyle

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, y'all. Currently using Z1Rs leashed to Ayre Codex at the office, where I sadly spend most of my hours. By necessity, using my laptop as source, and wanted to know if anyone's compared Fidelizer with Audiophile Optimizer? One caveat is that I need to use the PC for work, and cannot hobble it to serve as audio-only device. Thanks!

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 13
  Hi, y'all. Currently using Z1Rs leashed to Ayre Codex at the office, where I sadly spend most of my hours. By necessity, using my laptop as source, and wanted to know if anyone's compared Fidelizer with Audiophile Optimizer? One caveat is that I need to use the PC for work, and cannot hobble it to serve as audio-only device. Thanks!

I use both on a dedicated music pc. They're both great, but have different objectives. On a computer I had to use for other things, I'd use Fidelizer as it's less invasive.

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 13
I use both on a dedicated music pc. They're both great, but have different objectives. On a computer I had to use for other things, I'd use Fidelizer as it's less invasive.

Thanks, jcn3! I'm terms of SQ, are the two comparable? If you'd elaborate on the "different objectives" of both, would much appreciate it!

Also. AO via GUI mode on Windows 10 Pro is still too invasive, would you say?

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #4 of 13
Thanks, jcn3! I'm terms of SQ, are the two comparable? If you'd elaborate on the "different objectives" of both, would much appreciate it!

Also. AO via GUI mode on Windows 10 Pro is still too invasive, would you say?

a.o. only offers gui mode on win10.  a.o. concentrates on manipulating and shutting down parts of the operating system. the idea is to minimize the work being done by the operating system, reducing noise. if you go with the extreme settings (which sounds best), you can disable services that will make navigation difficult. a.o. works best when you can start the computer, operate your player software and do nothing else.  another interesting thing about a.o. is that you really can't uninstall it.  you can disable the optimizations that it does, but it's always there.

fidelizer concentrates on optimizing the audio processes within windows -- it's very focused.  fidelizer pro's optimizations effect normal computer operations to a lesser extent and fidelizer can be uninstalled.  once you've run fidelizer pro in the mode you want (like a.o.) it will automatically launch on start-up and the settings will be used until you uninstall them.

i can't say which one "sounds better" -- they're a good partnership.  for pretty short money, you'll get much blacker background, more texture in instruments, and better soundstaging.

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #5 of 13
Tremendously helpful, thanks jcn3! Given your description, I do think I'm better off with Fidelizer Pro as it seems that AO is best optimized when the PC is de facto devoted to audio-only. Again, very grateful!

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 13
Hi latestyle,

I would agree that Fidelizer is the better solution in case you need to use your laptop/pc for work while you want to listen to your music. In case you want to use your laptop/pc in addition to work with also for listenng to music but not always at the same time I would suggest to go for the best SQ solution with Audiphile Optimizer:

Use a part of your storage for a new partition, 10GB will be enough, install Server 2012 R2 with AO and a player of your choice. In case you need to work start your normal setup with the bootmanager, in case you want to focus on your favourite music start with your AOptimized music OS.

Enjoy
Thomas

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #7 of 13
Thanks, Thomas. Now I wonder whether I should not just get a tiny quiet PC loaded with 2012 R2 just as music player. Such a rabbit hole, this hobby!

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 13

..fidelizer concentrates on optimizing the audio processes within windows -- it's very focused.  fidelizer pro's optimizations effect normal computer operations to a lesser extent and fidelizer can be uninstalled.  once you've run fidelizer pro in the mode you want (like a.o.) it will automatically launch on start-up and the settings will be used until you uninstall them...

jcn3, one more question while installing fidelizer. Shall I choose 'audiophile' or 'purist'? I don't do much beyond emails. Microsoft Office applications and access files on networked drive. Would 'purist' be too much?

Mar 5, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #9 of 13
  jcn3, one more question while installing fidelizer. Shall I choose 'audiophile' or 'purist'? I don't do much beyond emails. Microsoft Office applications and access files on networked drive. Would 'purist' be too much?

I'd just see what works for you. You can try purist and if office doesn't work well then rerun and pick audiophile. Nice thing is that nothing is permanent.

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #10 of 13

a.o. only offers gui mode on win10.  a.o. concentrates on manipulating and shutting down parts of the operating system. the idea is to minimize the work being done by the operating system, reducing noise. if you go with the extreme settings (which sounds best), you can disable services that will make navigation difficult. a.o. works best when you can start the computer, operate your player software and do nothing else.  another interesting thing about a.o. is that you really can't uninstall it.  you can disable the optimizations that it does, but it's always there.

fidelizer concentrates on optimizing the audio processes within windows -- it's very focused.  fidelizer pro's optimizations effect normal computer operations to a lesser extent and fidelizer can be uninstalled.  once you've run fidelizer pro in the mode you want (like a.o.) it will automatically launch on start-up and the settings will be used until you uninstall them.

i can't say which one "sounds better" -- they're a good partnership.  for pretty short money, you'll get much blacker background, more texture in instruments, and better soundstaging.

Thank you for this information sir.:) I think I am going to get both of them for my setup as well.

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #11 of 13
but if you have a microrendu and roon, wouldn't those products be redundant ?(esp the microrendu as it's replacing your computer largely)

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #12 of 13
You better have them both. Both in combination are doing remarkable job.

Sep 15, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #13 of 13
I have a very revealing system. A few years back I upgraded my XMOS sound card (USB to i2s) crystals from NDK SD to SDA's with a noticeable difference. The sound gained details, space, bass definition, the background was darker.

Then I built a balanced, single-ended class A amplifier, DC-coupled (two gain stages only). The overall sound was impressive. I feed audio signal straight of the DAC I/V resistors, and into the amplifier (very high input impedance as well... helps with linearity at high frequencies:))

All along I was working on minimising the switching artifacts coming from the laptop (used as a JRiver streamer), so I was under-clocking the CPU, killing the unnecessary services, playing with the power supply. Every single bit contributed toward a more natural presentation.

Then I came across Fidelizer, and tried a demo version. Initial impression was very positive (immediate improvement in bass definition and darker background, more space as well...). I decide to get the Pro version, and now I am totally hooked on this app. The sound is so satisfying, wide and deep that I feel like I can stand up and walk to each instrument. Stunning.

I will now install Win Server 2016 from the scratch, and then install only the bare minimum (JRiver and the necessary drivers), and then treat it with Fidelizer Pro.

The audio player without network connections profile is infinitely better than any other profile. Option to choose filters is also nice.

The best thing is that the Fidelizer opens the JRiver on bootup and then starts playing the music. Fantastic!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back