Audiophile Ninja cables?
Jul 12, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #31 of 214
Is everyone afraid to say how they sound compared to oem because of the anti-cable flamethrowers? This hobby IS about sound, not just looks. I’d really like someone to say that these sound better than stock and how - it doesn’t make sense to spend even ‘only’ $83 (with shipping) just because a cable looks cool.

So - how do they sound?

Thanks.
My headphones sound phenomenally good. I stopped A/B testing cables a while ago especially for full sized headphones. I don't notice anything missing from my $70 audiophile ninja cables and my $600 zmf copper cable. I only buy cables for ergonomics, tactility
And looks.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #32 of 214
Oh, please. If the sound of all cables was the same, we’d all buy the neo-musica or New Fantasia replacements from Amazon for $16. “What does it sound like?” is a fair question for any headphone cable with higher aspirations than that. IMHO.
I agree cables do alter the sound, as you can see in my signature.

However even if they wouldn't, there'd still be reasons to get an aftermarket cable vs a replacement from the manufacturer

Jul 13, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #33 of 214
Oh, please. If the sound of all cables was the same, we’d all buy the neo-musica or New Fantasia replacements from Amazon for $16. “What does it sound like?” is a fair question for any headphone cable with higher aspirations than that. IMHO.
Now I can make an apples-to-apples comparison. I bought New Fantasia balanced cables with a Pentaconn connection first for my hip-dac, and they were crap. The connection shorted out so I had volume only in one cup after just two days. I put no extra tension on them, yet they just failed.

So, then I tried the Audiophile Ninja cables. They have far better build quality, looks and feel, with better sound, for just $20 more. Money well spent.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #34 of 214
Is everyone afraid to say how they sound compared to oem because of the anti-cable flamethrowers? This hobby IS about sound, not just looks. I’d really like someone to say that these sound better than stock and how - it doesn’t make sense to spend even ‘only’ $83 (with shipping) just because a cable looks cool.

So - how do they sound?

Thanks.

I think the main appeal of these cables is the relatively low price to replace awful stock cables that come with stuff like Hifiman.

I can't give an answer to sound since I couldn’t use the stock cable on my balanced set up to compare any differences in Sundara.

These are practically guitar cables with a nice sleeve around it.
They’re a bit on the stiff side and tad heavy but I’m comparing it to$700 ZMF cable (doesn’t fit my Sundara) so you get what you pay for in terms of build.

I just ordered another one with mini xlrs and pentaconn to use my Audeze on my balanced amp too.
I like these better than Hart cables plus the turn over time is quick.

If your main focus is sound (and if you truly believe it makes a difference) I’m sure you can find better cables but as an owner of pricey cables I’m not so sure I’d pass a blind test.

Jul 15, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #35 of 214
I think the main appeal of these cables is the relatively low price to replace awful stock cables that come with stuff like Hifiman.

I can't give an answer to sound since I couldn’t use the stock cable on my balanced set up to compare any differences in Sundara.

These are practically guitar cables with a nice sleeve around it.
They’re a bit on the stiff side and tad heavy but I’m comparing it to$700 ZMF cable (doesn’t fit my Sundara) so you get what you pay for in terms of build.

I just ordered another one with mini xlrs and pentaconn to use my Audeze on my balanced amp too.
I like these better than Hart cables plus the turn over time is quick.

If your main focus is sound (and if you truly believe it makes a difference) I’m sure you can find better cables but as an owner of pricey cables I’m not so sure I’d pass a blind test.
Yes, of course my main focus is sound. Funny how that’s become some kind of backhanded an insult on an audio site. 🤭. Anyway, I have a 5ft pair of the audiophile ninjas and a 5ft pair of gravediggers on the way (both used, less than $150 total delivered for both) for comparison. Whichever I like better I keep, the other goes on usaudiomart, catch and release, as they say. And yes, I will consider sound as well as convenience, price and construction/looks in my personal evaluation. The gravedigger will be at a slight disadvantage because I will have to use a 3.5mm to 1/4” adapter, but I have a handful of those adapters laying around (just to make things even more interesting I can do a shootout of which adapter sounds best - Lol!). Hoping one or both of them will allow for that slight bit of missing bass traction whose absence keeps me from all out raving about the Anandas (off topic, but I don’t hear the midrange glare others complain about with these phones, but I do think the bass, while extended is a little soft). To me this is the type of subtle subjective qualitative difference cables can make, probably due to differences in capacitance and resistance matching and the like - they’re never going to be night and day differences, except in the case of a grossly flawed wire. But the devil is in the details. IMHO.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #36 of 214
I have three Audiophile Ninja cables and three on the way - I love them, well built and they sound great to me. My motivation to buy aftermarket was to get balanced connections, replace the horrendous OEM cables (I'm looking at you Hifiman) and get shorter cables for my Sennheisers.

I don't over analyze the sound of cables too much other than put em on and if it sounds good then roll with it. I bought another aftermarket cable a few months ago and it did not sound right with my Clears & Sundaras, I took it off within 10 minutes and threw it in a draw - where it's been ever since.

The only drawback with ordering from Jeremy is the current post time from the US to Perth, which is 6 to 7 weeks :astonished:

Jul 24, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #37 of 214
These do seem to have nice synergy with the Sundara. A very satisfying pairing all around. Sound quality and construction way beyond stock in every parameter. I am pleasantly surprised.

Jul 24, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #38 of 214
These do seem to have nice synergy with the Sundara. A very satisfying pairing all around. Sound quality and construction way beyond stock in every parameter. I am pleasantly surprised.
Haha. Hifiman is world renouned for their terrible cables. Beating them in construction is a pretty low bar. I do agree that audiophile ninja cables have great quality and construction though.

Jul 24, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #39 of 214
Haha. Hifiman is world renouned for their terrible cables. Beating them in construction is a pretty low bar. I do agree that audiophile ninja cables have great quality and construction though.
Quite true, but if we shower them with too much praise, we might trigger the cable police, so left-handed compliments and faint praise only please. Lol! 😁

Sep 7, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #40 of 214
I ordered a custom length cable for my LCD-2 and it was made and shipped very quickly. When I received it, I was highly impressed with the build quality. It exudes quality. I don't believe in cable magic as far as sound goes, and this sounds just fine. I'll buy from him again.

Sep 7, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #41 of 214
I just got some when I ordered my amp and dac from Schiit. Oddly enough also for a pair of sundara's lol. I decided to get the Ninja cables mostly because of limited options and price point. The cheap ones from amazon looked ok but after doing some searching got pretty mixed reviews. Sounds like they have poor quality control issues. Which is to be expected at that price point I guess. And everything else I was finding was just stupid expensive in my opinion. Heck the stock cables from hifiman are freaking 130 bucks! And I was wanting like a 8-10 foot long cable. The Ninja cables, single ended with a 1/4 jack and 10 foot length was like 80 bucks or so with express shipping.

I got an email after ordering them letting me know the order went through on the website. I never received another email letting me know they were being built, when they actually shipped or any kind of tracking number. I think I got them in under a week which I didn't think was bad considering he probably had to make them because of the longer length.

They came in a fancy branded cardboard box, no real extra packaging of any kind for protection but they are just cables and they made it to me just fine. Inside the box is the cables, a pen, a bottle opener/key chain and a little card telling you how to know which cable is the left from the right when you plug them in (they are not marked L and R or anything). They look nice enough with fabric sheathing and nice hardware with solid connections. The cable was not as stiff as I thought it would from reading reviews. A few said they are bit stiff I think. I was expecting something like RG6 RF cable stiff or something I guess lol. They are supple enough to coil up and lay nicely while using them. I would say about the same as my XLR cables for my microphone set up. They look good. They don't look like flashy expensive cables or anything. Just nicely made, solid black cables. And they feel 10 times better than the stock ones. Those were just gross.

Sound, well hmm. When I got all my other stuff, amp and dac I didn't have the cables yet. I was using the stock cables with an extension. When I got the new cables I swapped them out and started listening. They sounded fine, no issues so I didn't fuss with it any more than that. I am not a cable guy and don't pay a lot of attention to it. I have done a lot of testing and messing around in past years with home audio interconnect cables and speaker wire and never found there to be a difference unless something was wrong or damaged. I even took some very expensive cables on loan from a high end store once because they said once I heard them I would want them. I couldn't tell a difference from standard speaker wire so I took them back. So I never bothered comparing these cables to the old ones.

So I decided what the heck, lets test it out. It shouldn't take long and I have the time. At least I can tell everyone they sound just as good as the stock ones and I will feel honest about it. I just got done listening to both and I honest to god can't believe I am saying this. They actually sound better than the stock ones. Something I thought I would never say in my life about a set of cables. They sound "cleaner", especially in the highs, but over all in general. I wouldn't say they have more frequency range. I don't think the highs were any higher but then again I didn't break out any test tones and a spl meter either lol. It just sounded more clean if that makes sense. And maybe a bit more detail. They also had a wider sound stage. For sure, that isn't a "I think it felt like it had a better sound stage". They for sure had a wider sound stage. Not by any huge amount, but it was there. I think maybe better imaging as well but that is more of a "I think" kind of thing. I wouldn't bet a kidney on it or anything. And I didn't notice anything like more bass or anything like that either. It was kind of like the difference when I was testing out other amps and dacs compared to the Asgard and modi 3+. I would say the difference was kind of like going from a cheap crappy dac to the modi 3+. It was just better and more clean. Not as big of a difference though. And I don't think I was biased in any kind of way. I really wasn't expecting them to sound better after all. It was kind of a surprise really. And I wasn't trying to justify the purchase because I don't think the price was that much really. I mean the stock cables cost almost twice as much!

I first found his website because I was thinking of going balanced at one point so I was looking at balanced cables. His are by far the most affordable balanced cables I found. Aside from the amazon ones. Then I decided to go single ended and after looking around on the internet he still seemed like the best deal between quality and price.

I would recommend them, I am happy with the purchase.

My only comment to Ninja would be to drop the fancy box, pen and key chain and either lower the prices or go with labeled connectors. I would have really loved to see an L and R or at least a white and red dot or something.

Sep 7, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #42 of 214
I never received another email letting me know they were being built, when they actually shipped or any kind of tracking number.
I thought the same thing, but when I checked my spam box, boom, it was in there.

Sep 7, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #43 of 214
My only comment to Ninja would be to drop the fancy box, pen and key chain and either lower the prices or go with labeled connectors. I would have really loved to see an L and R or at least a white and red dot or something.
IIRC, the marking is there - you just have to look carefully. It’s subtle. But I could be confusing it with gravedigger or something else.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #44 of 214
Mine didn't go to my spam box, I always check my spam when I check my regular email. It could have got lost in the interwebs though. Email is not completely reliable.

As for markings on the cables mine came with a little card specifically telling you how to find the right and left cable by making sure the logo on the y splitter was lined up in a certain way. So in a way, ya it is marked. But what happens when I lose that card and a year from now I try to remember which was the correct one if I remove them lol. Its an extremely minor gripe I know. I just wanted him to know it would be a nice feature to see. I mean I can fix it on my end easy enough. Just in my eyes I would rather have properly marked cable ends then a pen and a can opener I will never use or a fancy printed box. You could have thrown them in a plain padded post office envelope and I would have been fine with it. Then again those post office envelopes might cost more than his custom printed box lmao.

I didn't want those to be the stand out things in my review/comment. I really like the cables and would tell others to get them.

Sep 7, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #45 of 214
You could have thrown them in a plain padded post office envelope and I would have been fine with it. Then again those post office envelopes might cost more than his custom printed box lmao.
I read his entire website before I ordered to vet him a bit. He wrote this under his business principles:

"Yes, it would be much cheaper and easier to ship our cables to you in a non-recyclable, plastic bubble envelope, but we choose to use a reusable and recyclable cardboard box. Yes, it costs a few cents extra, but in a world that is quickly becoming overrun with plastic, its a small price to pay."

I actually liked that as I am also environmentally conscious. Considering other cables of similar quality cost about 2x, I'm fine with the few extra cents added to my bill for the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back