Audiophile meets in Toronto, Canada
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 5, 2018 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

alex5908

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everybody,

I am just curious. In many European countries they have audiophiles meets almost every week.
Do we have anything like this in Toronto, Canada?
If not why not have them?
Toronto is a big city and I guess many members from Toronto post here.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 46
No meets whatsoever.
Except for the Expo held in Toronto.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 46
Why can't we appoint the time and have a meet at a bar or something like it?
Anyway I don't think there will be more than ten people.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 46
I assume you've never been to a meet.
Generally, someone organizes it, rents out a room with lots of tables and power outlets, gets people together after agreeing on a date that works for as many as possible.
People come, bring equipment, set up, and the rest is obvious.

If you just want to meet local audiophiles for drinks, that's cool. It's not a meet, and sounds easy to arrange.

I don't know you, but I'm always up for a drink with a fellow audiophile.

Jan 10, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 46
I've been to a meet in Europe.
May be we could try to get together the first time for a drink and then decide how to proceed with a meet.
Now to the equipment part. Why can't everybody bring the equipment 100% charged? Then we will not need the outlets at all for 6-8 hours. I can bring two poer banks too. They are quite powerful.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 46
When you recommend getting together at a bar to discuss on how to arrange a meet, it sounds pretty bad. Meet preparation takes time, much more than a few hours at a pub with a few people. The obvious limitation is that only those that can, or want to, meet for drinks will have any input and you'll only be able to get availability of those present.
I'm not trying to turn you off from the idea, but it's obviously much more convenient to make those plans online.
As for your phrasing, it does sound like you're looking for help in organizing the meet, not stepping up to the plate and taking the reigns. Just a thought.
It's perfectly fine if you're looking to put the idea in people's heads and get the ball rolling, but I personally think this will work better if you clearly state your level of involvement and commitment to making this happen. Like I said, people are much more likely to participate if they know that it WILL happen and there's someone behind the wheel that's actively working to do so.
I'll help guide you by asking a few simple questions:

1. Are you willing to take charge, drive this forward, be responsible for booking a place, and being on top of communication and coordinate everything? If yes, I will happily provide any support and guidance to help, just PM me. If not and you're just asking if others are interested in a meet but would want someone else to organize it, say so clearly.

2. Assuming #1 was a yes, you should set an approximate date at least a month or two in advance, decide on expected outcome (my meets had between 10 and 30 people, usually 15 or so), which helps to determine the size of venue to book. I've been to meets ranging from a home basement for 10, condo party room for up to 30, hotel conference room for 50+, or retail store that allows you to hold an event like this). The venue limits or enables what equipment you want or expect people to bring.

3. Decide on what kind of event you want to arrange. Will it be a head-fi meet for locals or a party with non members.

4. Based on #2 & 3, determine and arrange security measures. A small meet where almost everybody knows each other can work with name tags and introductions after a simple greeting at the door by the host while a conference room might rely on a security guard checking what equipment comes and goes. My personal meets used to be held in a condo party room where everybody signed in at the security desk who phoned me to be let in, I'd greet them and handed out name tags, and after a quick tour of what sort of equipment can be set up where, with many people knowing what belongs to whom, you enjoy the event.
A guideline of meet rules is generally posted in the first thread and a code of conduct established.
At the end of the day, not a single meet has finished without at least one or two cables or adapters that were left behind, and more than likely, one of my adapters going missing. Luckily, that's usually resolved in the meet impressions thread with a simple message of "I left with a cable that's not mine" or "Did anyone accidentally take X adapter" or more likely me thinking "Meh, I guess my 1/4 adapter got lost, but I got a power cable someone forgot". Easy enough to clear up.
Theft at meets is not usually an issue because there are ways to mitigate the risks, but that depends on preparation. At larger meets, without adequate security measures, especially after you implied mostly portable equipment, I can easily foresee someone putting a device in their pocket and leaving.
Ensure that security is managed.

I feel like I'm writing an essay with more to add, plus general guidelines.

I'll stop for now.

If a mod wants to contact me, I'll be happy to write a sticky with more content.

Jan 13, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 46
FallenAngel,
Your post is really great.
I just did not think a meet would imply so many "nuissances" to consider.
Yeah, these all make sense.
I think the best way to start is to meet at my son's house (can't be my place as I live in a 2-bedroom Condo) with a limited number of people invited. Possibly in mid spring. The location is at Victoria park and York mills. There we will be able to discuss the conditions of the next meet.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #11 of 46
I think the best way to start is to meet at my son's house (can't be my place as I live in a 2-bedroom Condo) with a limited number of people invited. Possibly in mid spring. The location is at Victoria park and York mills. There we will be able to discuss the conditions of the next meet.

You have not answered my questions and defined what you want to do.

"Possibly in mid spring" - That's a start, but you need to be more specific.
"Location is at Victoria Park and York Mills" - Great! What kind of place is this?

You said "There we will be able to discuss the conditions of the next meet" - what does this mean? Are you planning to organize an event for people to attend just so that they could organize another event?

Like I said @alex5908 I will be happy to help you organize a meet, I just need to hear you say "I am going to take charge!" - meaning you will be the one to pay for the place and get everybody together. I didn't write the point about funding - generally you can charge at the door or find other ways to fund the event.

Jan 14, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #12 of 46
"Possibly in mid spring" - 1. That's a start, but you need to be more specific.
2. "Location is at Victoria Park and York Mills" - Great! What kind of place is this?

3. You said "There we will be able to discuss the conditions of the next meet" - what does this mean? Are you planning to organize an event for people to attend just so that they could organize another event?

4. Like I said @alex5908 I will be happy to help you organize a meet, I just need to hear you say "I am going to take charge!" - meaning you will be the one to pay for the place and get everybody together. I didn't write the point about funding - generally you can charge at the door or find other ways to fund the event.

1. I will discuss it with my son and let you know when we will meet exactly.
2. It's a living-room in a house. There's a big table to sit around and a large sofa. All together may be for 12 people.
3. I am planning to organize a meet that everybody has a possibility to listen to each other's gears (portable players and IEMs/headphones) and have a discussion about the gears people use (like pros and cons of the gears). We will see how it will go and at the end of the meet we'll decide whether we shall meet at the same place next time or use something bigger (bar, restaurant etc.) That's what I meant by "There we will be able to discuss the conditions of the next meet"
4. If you had already orginized meets then I think it will be easier for you to contact the future attendees and invite them for a meet. As it will be conducted at my son's house there will be no charge for the place. Everybody should take care about drinks he will have.
To make it short, I'll be responsible for the place to meet at and you will invite the people for a meet, if you don't mind. Minor arrangements (like tags, etc) can be discussed on the phone or by PMs.

For now it's only you and me who are discussing the subject. Do you think you will be able to invite ten more people for a meet?

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #13 of 46
Id prefer a third party vender that has aspirational gear as intrigue and a motivator. But the again maybe it’s a bona vista social club type deal, good luck regardless.

Jan 14, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #15 of 46
I will be happy to help you organize a meet,
I thought the two of us will make it happen.
What is wrong now?
May I know the reason why you won't be involved?
Is it because of this?
"To make it short, I'll be responsible for the place to meet at and you will invite the people for a meet, if you don't mind."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back