Audiophile iOS audio player
Nov 10, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #796 of 855
I have iAudioGate but when I backup my iPhone by iTunes, it also backs up all the huge lossless music files inside iAudioGate. So the itunes image backup becomes huge.

Anyone knows any other iOS audiophile player that does not backup the music inside it with iTunes?
I have Terabytes of music and ignoring real or perceived differences in SQ, nothing beats Softorino’s Waltr2 app for converting almost any lossless files, except DSD, into ALAC into my iPhones. It doesn’t need iTunes nor mess up my iCloud backups (as it doesn’t backup). And when I want to delete a file off my iPhone, it only deletes it from there and nowhere else.

Nov 10, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #797 of 855
Hi!

I'm thinking of doing a switch from android to iphone, but for doing so, I need to make sure I can find a good player for my flac collection. I don't really need much, but is there one that will implement it's own storage folder (so I can transfer music without using itunes), that will download artist and covers from the internet, and has a nice/uncluttered UI (i.e I dont need any soundcloud/or cloud stuff in general, just local files).

Edit: For example, I use and like Blackplayer ex in android (so looking for something similar).

Thanks!
I use Neutron on my iphone X. I don't know about the backup size thing, I only do icloud backups anymore. But it will play just about anything effortlessly, has it's own storage folder, displays files in folder view in the correct order (not all of them do this!), and you can do some rudimentary file management from inside the app (like delete files or folders). I still use itunes to put files in there, via the file sharing tab, but otherwise I'm not using the itunes music part, although I think you can use that also. I also think there's a way to direct access the files area, if you absolutely need to avoid itunes.

Nov 11, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #799 of 855
Hi!

I'm thinking of doing a switch from android to iphone, but for doing so, I need to make sure I can find a good player for my flac collection. I don't really need much, but is there one that will implement it's own storage folder (so I can transfer music without using itunes), that will download artist and covers from the internet, and has a nice/uncluttered UI (i.e I dont need any soundcloud/or cloud stuff in general, just local files).

Edit: For example, I use and like Blackplayer ex in android (so looking for something similar).

Thanks!
With an apple device you have to use iTunes to transfer music, however with some audio players, you can just use iTunes to copy the files you want in the player’s folder. So you don’t have to use iTunes library at all, but still need to use iTunes to sync files with the audio app. As far as I know there’s no other solution for flac files for example.

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #800 of 855
With an apple device you have to use iTunes to transfer music, however with some audio players, you can just use iTunes to copy the files you want in the player’s folder. So you don’t have to use iTunes library at all, but still need to use iTunes to sync files with the audio app. As far as I know there’s no other solution for flac files for example.
Not quite true.... I’ve ditched iTunes altogether and use iMazing instead.
It allows me to make my usual backups and I transfer hires files including FLAC and DSD to the KaiserTone and Glider app via file transfer support.

Nov 12, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #801 of 855
Not quite true.... I’ve ditched iTunes altogether and use iMazing instead.
It allows me to make my usual backups and I transfer hires files including FLAC and DSD to the KaiserTone and Glider app via file transfer support.
This is interesting, I didn’t know about that iMazing software, which isn’t free unfortunately...

Nov 12, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #802 of 855
This is interesting, I didn’t know about that iMazing software, which isn’t free unfortunately...

This one is free http://www.i-funbox.com/, I have never tried it.
Another for purchase (has a evaluation version) is iExplorer,https://iexplorer.en.softonic.com/. I played with this a bit, seemed OK.

I am actually working on developing my own Windows/iOS players which will include iOS device syncing and iOS remote control of the Windows player. Maybe one of these days I will get it to a point where I feel that it is distributable.

Nov 13, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #803 of 855

First, thanks all for your replies. Glider does seem nice, and ticks a lot of boxes for me. (lastfm, and can control my local MPD machine).

So, you can't get around the iTunes Library sync. You need either iTunes or maybe a couple other of specific apps (I think Waltr for example?) to populate the database on the phone with music (and in the process I think will convert flac to e.g. alac). Apart from the file transfer itself, they also perform some db work on the phone so that the music is recognized.

iTunes file transfer is a different thing. Apps that implement local storage will allow having files transfered there without conversion. However, because there is no db that needs updates etc, I can do that even from my Linux pc using libimobiledevice. Since I don't have access to a Windows or Mac (so I can't use iTune Library), the only sane solution for me is to pick apps like Glider that do that. I already tried with my wife's iPad Mini 4, and I can also get access to DCIM folders for copying pics/videos etc. (However, I haven't tried it after the ios 12 update).

Even without plugging the ios device on a PC, using the Documents app I can access my pc via sftp, pick some flacs and add them to Glider. (Tried that also briefly yesterday).

Dec 8, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #804 of 855
Hello, does someone have an older version of the ios hibymusic player, version 3.0 or latest 2.xx?
im looking for the .ipa file. maybe someone can backup one using itunes.
ive updated to the last version 3.1.7 on my old 4s phone but its too heavy for the cpu and gives hiccups.
pls dont tell me to buy a newer phone cause i use a 30pin connector application to my dac and i like the small size of this phone.

Jan 1, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #806 of 855
I figured out how to download legal older versions of any app from the Apple server using itunes v12.6.3.6 (with appstore) and Fiddler
Ive got all Hiby versions for backup to play with.
Now running Hiby v2.1.2 on my iphone4s with ios9. i really notice how light it is compared to the latest version. No stuttering anymore and no features i don't use.

May 20, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #809 of 855
any opinion on VOX? I like the interface but you're forced to pay 5 eur / month subscription even just to use the equalizer...

I'm considering trying it just for the lossless unlimited cloud storage (my phone has only 64gb) but I'd like to hear some opinion first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back