Audiophile headphones w/microphone?
Feb 22, 2009 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

chzplz

100+ Head-Fier
Gamers, I'm gonna guess this one's for you.

I spend a lot of time using Dragon Naturally Speaking to dictate to my computer. (If you haven't tried it, try it - after it spends some time learning how you speak, it works great.) For Dragon to work, it needs a headset microphone -- desktop microphones or those ones that hang around your neck don't get the mic close enough and produce a lot of errors in the dictation. I've tried some pretty high-end array mics also, and they still aren't good enough.

Usually when I'm working, I usually have on a pair of pretty good cans running off of a pretty good amp and a pretty good source (check out my profile for details). Problem is, when I need to dictate, I've got to take the headphones off to put on the mic, or I've got to stretch the mic's headband to fit over the headphones, which usually doesn't work. To go from bad to worse, I can't even play music through speakers while I'm dictating b/c the music gets picked up by the mic and screws up Dragon's accuracy.

Anyone know of any audiophile-grade headphones that have a mic attached? The quality of the mic isn't that important. If not audiophile quality, what's the best headphone/mic set out there?

Thanks

Ira

Feb 22, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wouldn't something like this work?

Amazon.com: Zalman Microphone Zm-Mic1 High Sensitivity Headphone Microphone Retail: Electronics

Sheesh, how'd you find that so quick? It might work better than the ones that hang around your neck because the problem with those is that they don't move with your head. I guess if I could clip this one to both sides of the cables on a pair of dual-entry phones, it might get the mic close enough. Or it might strangle me.

Still would appreciate any recommendations of integrated headphone/microphone combos that have at least decent SQ, even if not Orpheus-level. (Baby orpheus would be fine
regular_smile .gif
)

Thanks for the tip, nullstring.

Ira

Feb 22, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #5 of 24
It´s not optimum it´s not noise cancelling... If budget is no problem Beyerdynamic have some cooperation with I don´t know if it was alien computer or what they call... But that was about 250 euro I think... They look very much likt DT 770s in design

Feb 22, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #9 of 24
If I had the monies to go with a headset, it would have been the Beyerdynamic MMX300's. Its a DT770 with a Mic, blam, theres another hundred or so bucks added
frown.gif

As well, Ive seen a version of HD280's that have a mic on em, they are called 280 Pros or something of that sort.

Feb 22, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firewall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had the monies to go with a headset, it would have been the Beyerdynamic MMX300's. Its a DT770 with a Mic, blam, theres another hundred or so bucks added
frown.gif

As well, Ive seen a version of HD280's that have a mic on em, they are called 280 Pros or something of that sort.

all "280's" are HD 280 Professional

you're thinking of the HMD280Pro and HMD281Pro

Sennheiser Worldwide - Professional Headsets

Feb 22, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #11 of 24
the best boom mic on a 'gamers' headset is on the creative labs fatal1ty professional headset. its the one thats an hd580 copy. very clear and loud mic. as for the speakers- they are ok- better than most headsets but not headphones.
the steelsound 4h is also one of the better headsets. more bass than its big bro the 5hv2

the senn pc350 has a great mic also, but needs modding to sound good. also its expensive

whats your budget?

Feb 22, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #13 of 24
obobskivich

Thats the one!

ourfpshero

The Creative Labs headset blows, as headphones, as a mic, as a paperweight. Its really not an audiophile headset in the least.

The Mic on the Steelseries 5H V2 (And as well the 4H, as they are the same, different housing) is quite good. I really did love that aspect of those horrible headphones. Its unidirectional, and it didnt pick up anything in my room when the TV was on and the GF was complaining about this or that, except my voice.

But as the title of this thread states, the OP is looking for Audiophile headsets, not garbage. And in my humble opinions, both of those items are garbage.

The Senn PC350's ive heard have a great mic, but crap SQ to the headphones compared the the rest of Senn lineups. I have not heard these though, so I will not speak badly of them (At least, no much)

Oh wait, I see you are talking about the Proffesional Fatality headset... I thought there was only one. My apologies here, I have not tried the Pro, just the normal one (Which is crap! :p) Disregard my comments on the fatility one, I have never used this. As well, it TOTALLY looks like 580s. Crazy

Feb 22, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #14 of 24
Wow, there's more out there than I thought. I wonder if Larry will "darth" a mmx300?
evil_smiley.gif

Of those sets mentioned, any thoughts about best SQ? There's a lot posted about some having good mics, but I'd rather have great SQ and a crappy mic (which is what I generally use - a $10 plantronics headset) than the other way around.

Thanks all for the help

Ira

Users who are viewing this thread

Back