Audiophile FUSES???
Sep 9, 2009 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

omigawsh_lollercoaster

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm reading this review and he writes: Quote:

While the A-9555 sounded just fine with its stock fuse, when I replaced that fuse with a HiFi-Tuning fuse of the same rating (6.3A, slow-blow), the sound became clearer and more precise, with crisper transients but without any of that "overetched" character that I dislike.

Any fuse aficionados in the house?
confused_face.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #3 of 40
Sep 9, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #4 of 40
Don't believe everything you read. Including this post, for that matter.

Do some homework and ask yourself how a fuse could possibly alter the sound. Heck, i you're handy with a soldering iron, you can bypass the fuse and see if that makes any difference. I've done that and found no difference between fused and non-fused.

What comes before the power supply isn't that important. The power supply is engineered to smooth the AC and turn it into clean DC. If something is amiss, it's the fault of the power supply, not the fuse.

But don't take my word for it. Try bypassing the fuse or even (temporarily) inserting a piece of copper rod to eliminate the fuse. That's not safe electrical practice, but you can determine for yourself how much the fuse really matters. I strongly suggest experimenting for yourself before believing what someone else tells you.

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But don't take my word for it. Try bypassing the fuse or even (temporarily) inserting a piece of copper rod to eliminate the fuse. That's not safe electrical practice, but you can determine for yourself how much the fuse really matters. I strongly suggest experimenting for yourself before believing what someone else tells you.

This statement is an oxymoron...
You tell people not to believe what others tell you, yet you tell them to bypass the fuse?, the devise that can protect you from Electrocution.

This forum is full of kids and people who are new to audio and electronics, who have no better idea than to do what they read, with no idea of the ramifications, we as a community should refrain from giving this type of advise.

DO NOT bypass the fuse on your gear or any other electronic devise. The fuse was put into the path for a reason.

If you want to try and see what an after market fuse does, try an after market fuse.

Sep 9, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by 883dave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This statement is an oxymoron...
You tell people not to believe what others tell you, yet you tell them to bypass the fuse?, the devise that can protect you from Electrocution.

Well, to be fair, he did qualify his suggestion with "temporarily."

And fuses are intended more for fire protection than protection against electrocution. One can easily be electrocuted without ever blowing the fuse or tripping a circuit breaker.

The "safety ground" on Class I rated chassis and GFCIs are what protect against electrocution, by either providing a path back to neutral for fault currents, or by tripping when the current on the neutral side doesn't match the current on the hot side.

However you'll routinely see people recommending the use of "cheater plugs."

And to be completely fair, I do agree that recommending bypassing the fuse even temporarily perhaps wasn't the best idea. At least not on public forums.

k

Sep 9, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 40
Apart from risk of electricution, your equiment could go bye bye too if you are unlucky.... "temporarily" probably not quite enough a qualification, a warning maybe more appropiate.

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't believe everything you read. Including this post, for that matter.

Do some homework and ask yourself how a fuse could possibly alter the sound. Heck, i you're handy with a soldering iron, you can bypass the fuse and see if that makes any difference. I've done that and found no difference between fused and non-fused.

What comes before the power supply isn't that important. The power supply is engineered to smooth the AC and turn it into clean DC. If something is amiss, it's the fault of the power supply, not the fuse.

But should it be a plain copper bar, OCF copper bar, OCC copper bar, silver plated copper bar, or maybe placebonium plated copper bar??!

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #10 of 40
IMO, EVERY single little thing you do to the inside of a piece of audio equipment effects the sound. These are musical instruments that are very sensitive to change - Yes, a fuse changes the sound. Uncle Eric doesn't think so and that is his opinion. However, many people can hear the slightest differences in power cords - they really can. Some people think that there is no difference between a coat hanger and a really great pair of speaker cables or interconnects. Imo, those people can't really hear the difference so to them, there is no difference.

I did a power cord comparison a while back between a stock power cord and a signal cable one. I didn't like the signal cable one but there was a huge difference in the sound. My wife could easily pinpoint what the difference was - too much bass.

If you're into cheap tweaks, go for it. I say get the Hi-fi fuses from Musicdirect. I just got some and have been pleased with a little better transparency and quickness in the sound.

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #11 of 40
at the risk of diverting the thread off-topic, I just have to wonder...

why is it that EVERY audiophile who defends power cables, fuses, $1000 usb cables, etc. always make the argument, "even my wife could hear a difference"!?!? it is quite rude to one's spouse, and borders on male chauvinism
frown.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why is it that EVERY audiophile who defends power cables, fuses, $1000 usb cables, etc. always make the argument, "even my wife could hear a difference"!?!? it is quite rude to one's spouse, and borders on male chauvinism
frown.gif

Yeah, I've always got a chuckle out of that phenomenon myself. I used it in a "satisfied customer" letter that was part of a spoof (The Audiophile Pricetag).

I was skeptical at first. But that ended just a few measures into the first song when I realized that I'd soiled my pants! You should offer a diaper with this thing! It's THAT good! And if you don't believe me, just moments later my wife who has no interest at all in this audiophile stuff telephoned me from the neighbor's house three doors down and asked me if I'd changed something in my system!

You guys are great!

Baskin Ennison
Runamok, South Dakota

k

Sep 10, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #13 of 40
So if power cords and fuses affect the sound, what about all of the much longer runs of wiring behind wall, and all the way back to the power station for that matter? I have yet to read about anyone rewiring their house with "audiophile" grade wiring, so chances are it is still standard copper or even aluminum wiring behind the wall. Similarly, I haven't heard of standard circuit breakers being replaced with "audiophile" fuseboxes. Once you get to the street its pretty much guaranteed to be standard power transmission lines. What is it about a standard power cord or fuse that makes it worse than the rest of this chain? I don't see how a power cord or fuse would affect the sound in the first place, but presuming it can, how would a specialty power cord help when the rest of the chain to get there is so sub-par by comparison?

Sep 10, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #14 of 40
penguin, seriously, don't go there. I mean it may be fun and new for you to ask such valid questions but it's been done to death and back so much. Plus this is the "believer's" forum section, I gather the faithful had to be cordoned off to prevent such typical audio forum arguments that always get ugly, so trying to make serious debate is not only pointless but not really proper for the forum section.

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #15 of 40
It's more likely that the reviewer has over exaggerated the effect of changing the fuse, which hi-fi reviewers are notorious for. Personally though, if I'd spend a crapload on hi-fi gear, I'd at least give a bunch of $5-25 tweaks a shot to see what effect they had, for fun. Maybe all combined you'd get some worthy improvement. I draw the line at Shakti stones or whatever the crap those things were though.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back