Audiophile cans for gaming ?
Jul 1, 2020 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

lastGRIMM

New Head-Fier
Hi,

On a quest to find best possible headsets in range of 200-300 USD for gaming on PS4.

Past Experience -

1. Tried Steelseries Arctis Pro + Gaming DAC - Returned
2. Currently using Beyer DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm - Planning to return as the sound signature is too bright for me. The high treble gives me fatigue & cracks at high volumes. (connected with Denon AVR 3500 at the moment, but i doubt the treble problem will go away even if I pair it with a decent amp/DAC)

Amp/DAC - Most likely planning to get Soundblaster G6 as it is compatible with PS4.

What should I buy next ?

1. Need immersive gaming experience. Prefer nice tight bass.
2. 30% competitive & 70% single player gaming.
3. No music.
4. Open back works for me as I have no background noise.
5. Country - Sweden. (buying from drop USA is an option, but not the preferred one due to not so smooth return process).

Many thanks.

Jul 1, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 15
Hi,

On a quest to find best possible headsets in range of 200-300 USD for gaming on PS4.

Past Experience -

2. Currently using Beyer DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm - Planning to return as the sound signature is too bright for me. The high treble gives me fatigue & cracks at high volumes. (connected with Denon AVR 3500 at the moment, but i doubt the treble problem will go away even if I pair it with a decent amp/DAC)

Amp/DAC - Most likely planning to get Soundblaster G6 as it is compatible with PS4.

What should I buy next ?

3. No music.
5. Country - Sweden. (buying from drop USA is an option, but not the preferred one due to not so smooth return process).

Many thanks.

The most popular gaming headset, is the Hyper X Clouds. Their known to have greata sound for being a gaming headset, which is not very common believe it or not, they are usually crap, but the Hyper X Clouds, are the top of the gaming headset class. Here is Zeo's review of them.

Jul 1, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 15
I would look into the Fidelio X series. I think its in its 4th revision at this point.
Theyre easy to drive. have a wide stage and plus bass. Good enough detail retrieval for that 30% comp play,and plenty of bass for that 70% fun factor.

Jul 1, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 15
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X, very bass light, popular with FPS gamers

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 15
@PurpleAngel is there anything better than the AD700 for pure FPS gaming? I have a AD700 from 2010 that I recently dug out of storage that is miles better than the Astro Gaming headphone I was using for a year. Much much better for detecting footsteps. However, my AD700s are pretty worn and I'm looking for a replacement. Is the AD700x really my best option? I am ok spending around $200.

Jul 10, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #6 of 15
@PurpleAngel is there anything better than the AD700 for pure FPS gaming? I have a AD700 from 2010 that I recently dug out of storage that is miles better than the Astro Gaming headphone I was using for a year. Much much better for detecting footsteps. However, my AD700s are pretty worn and I'm looking for a replacement. Is the AD700x really my best option? I am ok spending around $200.
Sennheiser HD598 seems to be popular with FPS gamers.
If you replace your AD700's ear pads and headband, would they be less worn out?

Jul 10, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #7 of 15
Another vote for the Philips Fidelio X2HR. They're the most 'fun' of my 3 sets without being really muddy, and are easy to drive.

They were on sale for $100 USD a while back, can currently be had for around $150 on Amazon. If you're patient on the FS/FT forums here or eBay you can probably get them around that $100 price point. Original MSRP was $300; I wouldn't personally pay that much for them, but they're certainly worth the $150.

Jul 10, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 15
Guys, LastGrimm made only 1-post, his original post, and never made anymore. That person is obviously gone. :thinking:

Jul 12, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #10 of 15
I use my 'audiophile' set up: I listen to John Mayer and then switch to Batle Field 3. I can recommend ZMF Eikon or Grado PS500 with a tube amp...haha. I use a dedicated mic: Blue Yeti.

If I would game more, my pick would be a Schiit Fulla and a headphone you like eg Audeze Mobius or LCD GX.

Jul 27, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #11 of 15
Another vote for the Philips Fidelio X2HR. They're the most 'fun' of my 3 sets without being really muddy, and are easy to drive.

They were on sale for $100 USD a while back, can currently be had for around $150 on Amazon. If you're patient on the FS/FT forums here or eBay you can probably get them around that $100 price point. Original MSRP was $300; I wouldn't personally pay that much for them, but they're certainly worth the $150.

How about the AKG 712k Pro ?

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #12 of 15
How about the AKG 712k Pro ?

Never heard it, so can't comment. I have Q701 and enjoy them, but the X2HR is definitely more "fun".

Jul 27, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #13 of 15
Hi,

Past Experience -

What should I buy next ?

3. No music.

Many thanks.
I recommend the Hyperxs Alpha S, I had them for 1-2 weeks and the truth is that the comfort is too good, the sound is strange to be gaming because the basses are just and necessary they are not pure basses, the mids and trebles are detailed . For many people, this headset is one more step for Hyperx to become an Audiophile. In addition, the USB card that comes inside can be updated on your PC (takes no more than 5 minutes) and you can connect it directly to the USB port of the ps4 to listen and speak on the microphone. The only downside is that the 7.1 on the BOARD, when you turn it on (you can use it off, I recommend that) is pretty bad because it takes away the bass from the sound. The only reason I returned them is because of the situation of the moement and I did not want to spend that much money, and I wanted to see if I can find something better sound or something more audiophile at a lower price, but do not take it as they are bad It is a feeling of mine that may be wrong.

It also has the best of Hyperx which are the planar magnetic, Hyperx Orbit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back