Audiophile 2496 vs. DCM-370
Dec 2, 2002 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

FrostyMMB

500+ Head-Fier
I just won an Audiophile 2496 off of eBay, so I haven't received it yet, and I've been considering going for a DCM-370 as well. I'd like to know if there's a reason why I should or should not go for the changer. I auditioned the Denon at a local pro audio shop, and if I can get it for around 100-120 shipped from eBay, it seems like a fairly good choice for my first non-portable source.

However, I'll be doing nearly all of my non-portable listening while using the computer or sitting at the computer desk. So I need some advice, opinions, or experiences. Is it worth it to buy the Denon and use it over the soundcard for CD listening? Will the Denon sound better than the soundcard? I'll be using a JMT CHA47 amp with either/both of the sources. Basically, I just want to know if the Audiophile's quality is comparable enough to the Denon that I will end up with a changer collecting dust rather than spinning CDs.

Dec 2, 2002 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 10
I just sold a Denon on ebay. I never liked the sound of it from day one. It sounds metallic, and overall it just doesn't sound right but I can't pinpoint what. The latest fan favorite is the Sony DVP-NS500V which can be had for less than $150 new. I haven't heard it though so I don't know if it's any better.

Dec 3, 2002 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the comments. It seemed to be that most people considered the DCM-370 to be a pretty good bang for your buck player, but now I don't read that anymore around the forums. Is the DVP-NS500V just a better sounding player? How is it that DVD player at 200(?) retail bests a redbook CD player at 300 retail? I'll be playing redbook and not SACD—my type of music will probably never be realease on SACD—and DVD is of little interest as well as I've already got plenty of ways to watch DVDs.

I've been reading around for a good option around 150 but there isn't a clear champion of the low end. The DVP-NS500V is the favorite, but then I'm still reading things about how good other Sony players are. This is making my decision pretty tough. Anyone else have a recommendation?

Dec 3, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 10
Well Mathew, that seems to be the problem we tend to have. You get better cans that requires better source that require better amps that require even better source which may outclass your original cans. Then you're back to where you started... looking for a nicer set of cans.

Dec 3, 2002 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 10
that's because the denon sux

seriously... a sony cdp i got from goodwill sounds better than the denon

Dec 3, 2002 at 4:18 AM Post #7 of 10
Ah jeez, not again. . .

Quote:

Is the DVP-NS500V just a better sounding player?

The reason the ns500v is such a hot item now is because of its SACD playback. It's basically a cheap ticket into the new and exciting world of SACD. Many have compared its SACD playback to more expensive sony players. Personally though, I find its redbook to be nothing spectacular. I'd go with the denon, though if SACD playback is important. . .

Also, try removing your headphone jack cable. It really makes a WORLD of a difference, and it removes that tinny, metallic quality that the denon had. PM me for details. The highs become much less fatiguing and natural, and the midrange more neutral.

Dec 3, 2002 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 10
Tim's on a one man crusade to take down the denon.
eek.gif

Dec 3, 2002 at 7:45 AM Post #9 of 10
I agree with andrejpw, the NS500V isn't a wonderfully good player, except for SACD. I have one, so this is an honest assessment based on experience. In my opinion the M-Audio Sonica sounds much better than the NS500V for Redbook, and it's possible that the Audiophile 24/96 will as well, though I think the DACs are different.

Dec 6, 2002 at 5:30 AM Post #10 of 10
I've been reading about the NAD players and they have me drooling. I've decided to hold off on a CD player until I can afford to pick up a refurbished NAD C541i. Damn that thing looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back