Audiofly AF1120 UIEM Impressions/review/appreciation thread
Aug 2, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #61 of 71
Yeah it does happen to copper based cables with clear coating. But to be fair I believe you can use other cables with the IEM because I have used the mic cable I have with them. At the moment I have nothing but love with Audioquest, 3rd party seller sent me a faulty unit and even though it was really past warranty they had me send it in and repaired it for me with no cost other than shipping to them. It was really fricken cool. Now, that I can really compare to other IEM's I have it is definitely an upgrade to the Nuforce Primo 8 and earsonics sm64, granted different more neutral and reference sound signature, but as far as imaging and detail I find them fantastic.

Sep 1, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #64 of 71
Finally found a 3rd party 2.5mm cable solution for the AF1120. Bought a Brainwaivz mmcx 2.5mm cable for $20 off Amazon. If you trim the strain relief on the mmcx connectors to the 3rd ring on the strain relief with a utility knife (which is quite easy to do) then the Brainwaivz cable fits into the Audiofly AF1120 without having to sand the nubs on the shell off. Just push a little harder than normal and they snap right in.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076SHDYTF?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Mar 5, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #66 of 71
For anybody interested in a 3rd party compatible cable I finally found a brand. I just tested on my Hiby R6 pro on balanced and this one works.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0761SW5K4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AN1VRQENFRJN5&psc=1

I dug around and noticed that AKG N5005 and audiofly both suffer from the same compatibility problem. They both have a protrusion on the outer most ring. In the case of the AKG it is the whole ring, but on the audiofly it is on two points. This onso brand is the only known “universal” mmcx connector compatible with AKG due to its recessed ring. This cable should also work with the standard mmcx (shure, campfire, etc). after fitting to the AF1120, the earpieces can rotate freely.

I know audiofly have corrected their mmcx connector issue in mk 2, but anyone still owning the original version and not wishing to mod their earpieces this is a good option.

Aug 19, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #67 of 71
Late i know, but i have just picked up a used AF 1120 having already own the 180's, i want to be clear, i need to change cables, if i file away the nibs, can i then use any mmcx cables please ?
Many thanks in advance.

Aug 19, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #68 of 71
Late i know, but i have just picked up a used AF 1120 having already own the 180's, i want to be clear, i need to change cables, if i file away the nibs, can i then use any mmcx cables please ?
Many thanks in advance.
Trim about 2-3mm from the boot of the mmcx cable with a utility knife. Go slow and try every few mm.

careful with the af1120. They are very fragile and mine fell apart.

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #69 of 71
Trim about 2-3mm from the boot of the mmcx cable with a utility knife. Go slow and try every few mm.

careful with the af1120. They are very fragile and mine fell apart.
Thank you. I need to choose one with a plastic/ rubber sleeved fitting, i've noticed some are solid built. Which cables are people using? I'm finding the highs are a little too much for my tastes, so thinking all copper ?

Aug 19, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #70 of 71
Thank you. I need to choose one with a plastic/ rubber sleeved fitting, i've noticed some are solid built. Which cables are people using? I'm finding the highs are a little too much for my tastes, so thinking all copper ?
Try TRN cables on amazon. Boots trim pretty easily. I use the 16 core all copper (or did) with these. Warmed them up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back