Audioengine D1 RCA line out to an amplifier
Mar 3, 2013 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bpandbass

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know if the Audioengine D1's RCA output jacks would work as an output to a desktop amp such as the Schiit Audio Magni or Little Dot hybrid amp (which have RCA input jacks)? Would I have to worry about double amping?

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 3
I have the D1 and run the RCA outs to my Audioengine A2's.  They are powered speakers so they have an amp built in to them.  I have no problem with the two working together.  The D1 has a headphone amp.  It is my understanding that the RCA outs do not run through the amp, only the DAC. 

I was pretty sure of this, but, not wanting to give bad advice, I just routed the D1's RCA cables to my Schiit Asgard and played a tune.  It worked just fine (although, I have to say that the Bifrost was more impressive sounding than the D1's DAC).

Hope that helps. 

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
I have the D1 and run the RCA outs to my Audioengine A2's.  They are powered speakers so they have an amp built in to them.  I have no problem with the two working together.  The D1 has a headphone amp.  It is my understanding that the RCA outs do not run through the amp, only the DAC. 

I was pretty sure of this, but, not wanting to give bad advice, I just routed the D1's RCA cables to my Schiit Asgard and played a tune.  It worked just fine (although, I have to say that the Bifrost was more impressive sounding than the D1's DAC).

Hope that helps. 

It absolutely helps, thank you. I am taking delivery of a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250s around Tuesday, and I eventually want to upgrade amps from my Fiio E11 to an Audioengine D1. I want to get the D1 since it is USB powered, functions as a DAC, and can still drive headphones. I am hesitant on getting the Schiit Modi since it is a DAC ONLY, and has no way of driving headphones, and I wanted to get a small hybrid desktop amp (when I decide to get the AKG K240s) I could plug the D1 into. But my concern was that whether I could use the RCA plugs on the back of the DAC to hook up to a desktop amp. 

So from your experience the amp on the D1 only runs to the 3.5 mm headphone output, not through the RCA output? That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I may get a Bifrost in the future, but I only when I could afford to get the Lyr hybrid amp along with it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back