Audioengine D1 not working properly?
Sep 18, 2018 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

endallchaos

100+ Head-Fier
A couple of weeks ago I got Audioengine's 5+ speakers and decided to also try out their D1 as well. I've been having problems with the D1, though. It seems to only work randomly. I have the D1 connected to the speakers via RCA cables and USB to my laptop. Every time I turn the laptop on, all I get is static/noise. So i have to play around with the cables, by unplugging them and plugging them until it decides to work. I have a feeling that it might be the USB cable, but I'm not exactly sure. I heard that most USB cables don't work with the D1, so I don't want to buy a USB directly from Audioengine (which cost $46), just to find out that it's not the USB that doesn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sep 19, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #2 of 2
I also have the Audioengine D1, connected with Presonus Eris E5. There is a hissing sound coming out of the right speaker but I think it is due to D1.
When the active monitor is powered on with the RCA to the D1 unplugged, there is a very minimal hiss with the included power cable (and alsmost dead silent with a custom power cord). Thus my belief is that the hiss is due to the D1 although there are mentions from other Presonus owners of hiss. Also when laptop-D1-Presonus are connected and on, if the laptop goes into sleep mode, then the hiss increases significantly.

Note that I have checked that the phase is aligned between my power socket and the power cable going to the Presonus.

D1 comes with its own USB cable and in the pursuit of the elimination of said hiss I replaced it with an AudioQuest Carbon USB cable: this was an upgrade which did not impress me as the power cord. I hear no difference tbh.

The way you describe the behaviour of your unit, it seems to me as problematic. Perhaps check it with another laptop and another pair of speakers and see if this situation persists?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back