Audioengine A5's?
Oct 21, 2008 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

Sof

New Head-Fier
Is there anything better than these speakers at this price point? Anyone have any issues with theirs? I've also read they sound "cold", but is that just with a flat eq line? I think I want to get these because I don't feel like buying a receiver + book shelfs......side note: do you lose sound quality when going from the receiver to the comp sound card with a RCA audio cable?

Also does anyone have a sub hooked up to these?

Oct 21, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 66
These and the Mackie MR5s (priced per monitor) are probably the top contenders unless you want to hunt down vintage amp or t-amp and some bookselves. Personally I just bought a pair of A5s for a friend. Eyeing those Bamboos myself.
wink.gif

And I can't imagine needing a subwoofer with them, but people surprise me with subwoofers often.

Oct 21, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 66
i have em. replaced my amp + insginia bookshelves...

integrated amp = very small and compact... each monitor takes up only like 1 cubic feet each... even a little less.

they sound great for me, i got them shipped new for like $270. nice and bassy with clear sound all around.

and for the OP: going from sound card to receiver wont degrade sound unless the cable absolutely sucks or is damaged.

Oct 21, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 66
I have the A5's and they do sound good.

I also have a pair of the Mackie MR5's.

Been so busy doing pool turnaround's I have not been able to make side by side comparision of the A5 and MR5's.

My initial impression is that the Mackie's sound better.

Have the A5's connected to a Velodyne VX10 (RCA out of a AudioTrak HD2 into the VX10 and out to the A5's)...Crossover in the sub that knocks out anything below 80 going to the A5's.

The MR5's are Bi-Amped...Have great connectivity...I like em...Just need to do the comparision to make sure which ones I am going to keep.

One thing for sure...The A5's paired with a VX-10 is a great bang for the buck computer as source speaker setup.

Do yourself a favor...If there is a Guitar Center close go listen to the MR5's.

Impressive for the money IMHO.

Oct 21, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 66
The only problem with the A5's are when you let someone hear them, they try to buy them from you. I took them to a wedding last weekend and we used them for a slideshow in a 150 X 100 ballroom and had them turned 1/8th of the way up. If you want small size, no external amp, these are the best I could find for $315 shipped (google A5 promo code for 15% off)

The only reason I would add a sub is if you listen to rap. I notice that they can't get really really low without a sub. I listen to a lot of jazz, swing, and rock and have yet to need a sub.

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 66
Yeah I took the A5's to a pool party and liked to never got outta there with them.

I took them with the VX-10 to another one of her pool party's and darn near everybody said something about the sound.

I do not know if this is common...But the USB connection has come loose from the mounting...Rendering it usless...Hoping AudioEngine will just send me a new connector without me having to ship the speakers back.

And Brown is right...Take em somewhere and you just might need security.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 66
Oct 22, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #10 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I took the A5's to a pool party and liked to never got outta there with them.

I took them with the VX-10 to another one of her pool party's and darn near everybody said something about the sound.

I do not know if this is common...But the USB connection has come loose from the mounting...Rendering it usless...Hoping AudioEngine will just send me a new connector without me having to ship the speakers back.

And Brown is right...Take em somewhere and you just might need security.

Email Logan at customer Service support@audioengineusa.com Tell him what is going on and he may send you a new left speaker. I got a new one after having a concern with overheating. I am shipping the defective one back with no out of pocket costs.

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #12 of 66
Yeah you gotta give AudioEngine props.

Easily the best customer service I have ever recieved from any online vendor.

I returned some A2's to get the A5's and they apologized the A2's did not work out.

They actually answer a telephone there...And they have never failed to reply to a email ASAP.

5 Stars for sure on product support, build quality, fit and finish

Yep...You will like the A5's.

Nice speakers...Really nice.

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 66
My roommate has the A5Ws. They're pretty impressive. My floormate has some M-Audio BX-5as for comparison, and after burn-in the A5Ws sound a lot more organic and rich. Their customer service is indeed amazing - he had problems with his slave speaker cutting out and they sent him a replacement after a brief phone call. The compactness for their sound is also very impressive; they are far smaller than my own bookshelves.

However, as an active pair, the A5 is easily trumped by passive setups costing less money. My setup (Denon DRA-425R + Infinity Primus P152s) cost a little over $200 but sound much better in all respects. The tradeoff you get is in portability and space - my setup takes a lot more space (the speakers alone are bigger than the A5s!) and it is impractical for me to carry them around to places considering the overall size.

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #14 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sof /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anything better than these speakers at this price point? Anyone have any issues with theirs? I've also read they sound "cold", but is that just with a flat eq line? I think I want to get these because I don't feel like buying a receiver + book shelfs......side note: do you lose sound quality when going from the receiver to the comp sound card with a RCA audio cable?

Also does anyone have a sub hooked up to these?

No it's not cold, but quite musical for such product!
Yes i had problems too, but their customer service was indeed excellent, i've got now a perfect working NIB pair (for sale)!

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #15 of 66
Thank you all for your input.

I'm not too overly concerned about space saving designs when we're talking about going the receiver/bookshelf speaker set up. The A5's seem to be very versatile. I just wish I could hear the difference.....hmmm decisions decisions....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back