Audioengine A5s have slight "hum"
Oct 6, 2008 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

rbf1138

1000+ Head-Fier
I don't know that this was there Saturday when I first hooked them up, but if I put my ear right up to the speaker, even with nothing plugged into them, and the volume on the speakers all the way down, I can hear a slight hum/buzz/hiss. What're the reasons for this? Is this just something that some speakers exhibit, especially at this price point?

Oct 6, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 15
What are they plugged into? I mean, what is the power cord plugged into? Power conditioner? Straight into the wall? On a strip with the computer?

It sounds like electrical interference to me; most likely dumped into the line from the computer. Try this: take the speakers to a different room in the house (preferably a room which doesn't have a refrigerator, fluorescent lights, a lot of eletronics, etc.) and plug them in. See if the hum has disappeared. If it does... you need to buy yourself a good power conditioner!
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 15
I was plugged into a power strip, now I'm into a different wall socket with nothing else on that socket, and still hearing it. What are other possible causes, or is this basically the issue?

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 15
You might have a ground loop. if the A5s are plugged into a different wall socket from the PC or other audio input source, you might get a ground loop. The A5s have two audio inout connectors; I've found that pluging in 2 different Pcs produces erratic noise - not just 60 Hz hum.

There are several advantages to feeding the A5s with a fairly high input level and using the volume control on the front of the A5s to lower the sound level. It minimizes noise from the amp inside the A5s. And the A5 auto-turnon feature works better when the input level is relatively high.

Bill

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 15
I have the hum with nothing plugged in...which wall socket would work, if not the power strip or a completely different outlet, as I've already tried?

Oct 7, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #6 of 15
I have read others from other forums also state that the AudioEngine A5's have a hum too. Very disappointing - it is the reason I've not purchased them. I hate all speaker and/or mechanical chassis hum, and insist on silence from all my components.

Oct 8, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 15
it has a hum for me too. i never tried plugging them in anywhere else though.

doesn't bother me since it's so quiet anyways. plus, i use them with my computer, so the computer's noise is already louder than the hum. haha.

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 15
I just got my A5. I love the sound, but, alas, I hear the hum as well, after a few days. (It was not there in the beginning.) Strange, when I turn everything off, and then back on, the hum disappears. I have not checked to see whether the hum returns after a while.

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaimem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my A5. I love the sound, but, alas, I hear the hum as well, after a few days. (It was not there in the beginning.) Strange, when I turn everything off, and then back on, the hum disappears. I have not checked to see whether the hum returns after a while.

Turning them off and then on again stopped the hum for me too (have KRK Rokit 5 studio monitors) when i had this issue but I fixed mine. I connected speakers, DAC/soundcard, PC and monitor to the same power outlet using a power strip ofc

Apr 1, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are they plugged into? I mean, what is the power cord plugged into? Power conditioner? Straight into the wall? On a strip with the computer?

It sounds like electrical interference to me; most likely dumped into the line from the computer. Try this: take the speakers to a different room in the house (preferably a room which doesn't have a refrigerator, fluorescent lights, a lot of eletronics, etc.) and plug them in. See if the hum has disappeared. If it does... you need to buy yourself a good power conditioner!
wink.gif

Not necessarily. My A5s are plugged into a surge protector(not a conditioner) with gaming computer, 24 inch monitor, 5 port usb hub, printer and another surge protector that has bunch of other power adapters for other gadgets and yet mine sounds completely silent even at max level. Now, if I connect my corda move as a preamp, I then get the slight hum but nothing drastic. The OP might have just got a bad pair.

@OP: Have you tried calling them or shoot them a email? My experience with their staff was quite pleasant. I'm pretty sure they'll be able to figure out what is wrong with your pair.

Apr 2, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #13 of 15
My A2 used to have hum too. When I changed my speaker cable and IC, they were gone. Probably cables are not related to the source of hum, but it is gone and I am happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back