Audioengine A5 sound quality
Nov 11, 2008 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Mental_Medical

Head-Fier
Reading about everyone loving them, I had my hopes up. Audioengine seems like a company that really cares about sound quality as well as their customers.

I have my A5s resting on Auralex Mopads, which are resting on my desk. Well, they're resting on my LCD shelf that extends the entire length of the desk, so there's open air underneath.

I'll admit that the A5s lack bass for me. They have good lows, but I need some more UMPH, so I do plan on getting a Dayton 8" sub or something later.

When I first fired up the A5s, I loved them. The bass is warm and not overpowering. The mids really shine. I'm not real sure about the highs yet. I might need to find some good music to test those.

Anyway, I'm not sure they live up to the hype for me, but I want to make sure I'm utilizing them correctly. I know they're consumer speakers, geared towards iPods and other portable audio devices, plus they were tuned to make compressed audio sound better, but I'm not quite convinced, even when playing FLAC songs.

Eventually I want to get an audio interface for recording guitar and vocals. Since the A5s were so expensive, I can't purchase one right now, so my A5s are connected to my onboard sound. I know this isn't the greatest, plus there's a subtle hum as a result.

Will my A5s really shine if I were using an audio interface, a sound card, etc. instead of onboard audio?

Nov 14, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 19
Yes, if you go for a decent soundcard. The 0404 is bare minimum or anything with a decent opamp, but after that differences are smaller as these are not the most detailed speakers money can buy. But they are very clean and flat ala monitors so a more linear source will help.

Be sure to have the tweeters at ear level and try both toed in and facing toward. And I have a sub with mine, it definitely helps.

Cheers!

Nov 14, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 19
Since they are rear-ported, placement is critical. Placing them on a desk will not do - I suggest getting a pair of stands for them. Also keep in mind the distance from the rear wall - too much distance makes the bass a bit lean, too little makes the sound muddy and spoils imaging.

Try different placement positions until you find a good compromise. It costs nothing and will likely make a big difference. Choose a listening position that is a little further from the speakers - perhaps from across the room. I'm not sure if the A5 is really suited to near-field use.

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 19
I can't get stands. I have an L-shaped desk that's up against the wall. My girlfriend and I have a pretty small apartment, and we're using the second bedroom as an office.

I can mess with heights, but for now they have to be on my desk. I'd say they're about five or six inches from the wall. The tweeters are pretty close to ear-level I'm pretty sure. I'll keep messing with placement.

I do want a sub, but I'm waiting to be able to afford one. Probably go with a Dayton 8" for $90 shipped.

Nov 14, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 19
I had a pair of the A5's for awhile, but ended up sending them back due to the bass. I'm in a slightly similar situation where my desk is against the wall, but I have a little wiggle room to play with.

I ended up buying a pair of the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers. They sound great, bass heavy out of the box, but nothing a little equalizer tweaking in iTunes couldn't fix.

Recently, bought the HeadRoom Speaker Stands; WOW, what a difference. Getting the speakers up to ear level brings out the little elements in the music I'd normally hear with my headphones (echo's, longer decay of cymbols....).

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 19
I just came from ProMedia 2.1.
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #9 of 19
They are much better, yes. The mids really come through, but it depends on the audio source. I felt the Klipsch speakers were somewhat tinny on the highs. The A5s have a much warmer, richer sound experience. But I also got them because I'll be doing some guitar/vocals recording later down the road.

I do need more bass though. I was very happy with the Klipsch sub, and I'll be getting a sub whenever I have the money.

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #15 of 19
Having had an interest in these for some time now, and being uncertain whether to aim for the A2 or the A5, I have a simple question:

If you feel the need for a sub with the A5, would the A2 + Sub have been a better choice than the A5 alone?
And perhaps with the sub, the A5 is unecessary over the A2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back