Audioengine A5+ Review
Sep 7, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #17 of 37
Schiit actually ships to Canada from what I know, and they have a dealer in Vancouver as well.

They only sell the Modi 2 Multibit though, which is the best version of the Modi 2, but probably more than you want to spend.

http://www.headphonebar.com/schiit-modi-multibit/

I did not realize that you need a headphone amplifier as well.  The Modi 2 is just a DAC without a built-in amp.

Can you get an Audioengine D1 in Canada?  It would be a good choice for your needs.

You can also check around for good prices on used equipment here on Head-Fi, and of course the obvious ones such as eBay.

Sep 14, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #21 of 37
I have not personally heard that DAC, but reviews on it seem to be very good for the money, and it has all of the connections you need.  I'm sure that the D1 would beat it, but yes, the E10K Olympus should do everything that you need.

Sep 23, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #23 of 37
Yes, these will be a very noticeable upgrade.  I've never heard a pair of Logitech speakers that I've liked, including the Z 5500 (although I haven't heard some of their newer models, not that I expect much).  It looks like yours don't even have tweeters, so that alone is a big place to improve.  Just make sure to grab some stands at the same time so that you can position the speakers properly and isolate them from your desk.  You want your tweeters at ear level (or close enough to tilt the speakers to make up the difference), and you don't want the vibrations of your loudspeaker cabinets transferring into your furniture, as this muddies up the sound.

I would recommend a pair of IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155's, as they provide excellent isolation and adjustments, but if that's a bit more than you want to spend on stands, AudioEngine's DS2's will work also.

Sep 23, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #24 of 37
Yes, these will be a very noticeable upgrade.  I've never heard a pair of Logitech speakers that I've liked, including the Z 5500 (although I haven't heard some of their newer models, not that I expect much).  It looks like yours don't even have tweeters, so that alone is a big place to improve.  Just make sure to grab some stands at the same time so that you can position the speakers properly and isolate them from your desk.  You want your tweeters at ear level (or close enough to tilt the speakers to make up the difference), and you don't want the vibrations of your loudspeaker cabinets transferring into your furniture, as this muddies up the sound.

I would recommend a pair of IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155's, as they provide excellent isolation and adjustments, but if that's a bit more than you want to spend on stands, AudioEngine's DS2's will work also.

Thanks for the reply. The Z623 just sounds dominated by the sub. I might just go for it and get a pair of the bamboo ones. I think even the best Logitech speakers are only average. I will look at them stands too. Thank you again.

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #25 of 37
Are these worth the money hooked up to an STX II sound card? I've been considering these for a long time. I currently have the Logitech Z623. Thanks in advance.

If you don't want to spend quite that much, the JBL LSR305 are comparable performers and can typically be had for $260 to $300 a pair.

Sep 24, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #26 of 37
Thanks for the reply. The Z623 just sounds dominated by the sub. I might just go for it and get a pair of the bamboo ones. I think even the best Logitech speakers are only average. I will look at them stands too. Thank you again.

Yeah, that is a problem with every pair of Logitech speakers with a subwoofer that I've listened to.  There is no way that you're going to get 2 (or 5) good satellite speakers, a good subwoofer, and decent electronics for the price of a set of Logitech speakers.  They are going to have to make sacrifices, which tend to start with the electronics and the subwoofer.

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #27 of 37
might p/u a pair of these for my desktop....will try them with ifi micro idsd, dragon red and chord mojo
sure i'd like to have genelacs or adams acoustic...but i can p/u a pair of these for only $US210....

Dec 18, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #28 of 37
  might p/u a pair of these for my desktop....will try them with ifi micro idsd, dragon red and chord mojo
sure i'd like to have genelacs or adams acoustic...but i can p/u a pair of these for only $US210....

yup ...scored a pair, excellent shape....US$190.
had no remote...big deal.

.using the a5+ speakers from my laptop
(where i have my cds ripped and also 24/192 files) and streaming music
will be a wonderfully cost effective alternative while i build up a more $$$ HT system.
at least now i can have live music back in my smallish apt, vs just cans.
never play loudly (mindful of the neighbours). more towards mod volumes, if that.

Dec 24, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #30 of 37
Awesome!  Make sure to put them on some proper stands to get the most out of them.

Yes i did...big diff in sound.

Btw i have no idea how the original OP says these belong an 18-year-old's room who just wants to crank the volume
...makes no sense to me... heck any good speaker which gives good music you want to crank on occasion if it sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back