Audioengine A5+ / 2+ : How long to burn in ?
May 24, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 9
Burn-in *may* accomplish a bit in terms of speaker sound quality, and then there are certainly the psychological effects of getting used to your speakers. But you can start using them right away just as you intend to. Won't hurt the speakers.

May 26, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 9
@cel4145 is right, you can use your speakers normally as soon as you get them.  Break in will happen on it's own as you use them, and there's nothing special you need to do.  

I work for Audioengine, and we usually recommend around 40 to 50 hours of mid level playback before doing any critical listening, and it is mostly a mechanical thing.  From what I understand, some of the materials we use for the drivers are kind of stiff right after manufacturing and need to move around to loosen up.  

I've had the chance to hear a lot of before/after on this and, once they're broken in, what I tend to notice is that the low end seems to smooth out a bit, and mids/highs seem to be a touch sweeter.

May 28, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 9
Yeah low end on my a5+'s transformed after 50ish hours. Speaker stands made the biggest difference though, as with any energetic and large speakers they need isolation to sound anything like they should.

how transformed ?
much noticeable difference than just unboxed ?

A only the bass was transformed ?

May 28, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 9
how transfored ?
much noticeable difference than just unboxed ?

A only the bass was transformed ?

Burn in was definitely noticeable, both more bass and much much much smoother. The highs and MIDs didn't change a lot over time if at all.

Speaker stands had the greater over all effect, both aiming the speakers at my head and lows/low MIDs performance was greatly improved by not fighting or reflecting of my desk. But again that isn't a a5 thing, that's just a all large speakers thing.

May 28, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #8 of 9
Thank you :wink:

Your post was very helpful for me.

For "stands" you means Audioengine DS2 right ?

I bought full size metals stands filled with sand. But the ds2 are based on the exact same principle and as such should offer the desired effects.

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #9 of 9
Burn in was definitely noticeable, both more bass and much much much smoother. The highs and MIDs didn't change a lot over time if at all.

Speaker stands had the greater over all effect, both aiming the speakers at my head and lows/low MIDs performance was greatly improved by not fighting or reflecting of my desk. But again that isn't a a5 thing, that's just a all large speakers thing.

Yeah I notice the burn in as well. When I initially got the speakers, I notice a lack of bass in the beginning. I told myself; this can't be right. But i continue to use it normally, I didn't crank up the volume too much at first, just enough to be audible. Then one night, I decided to listen to a bunch of songs and just let it run for hours. I cranked up the volume more to fill my room with loud music. The longer I played, I definitely noticed that the bass levels started coming out. Now its perfect. The bass is tight and punchy. 

I never really believed in burn in. I used to own a pair of Aego M 2.1 speakers. They sound great right out of the box and never really notice any changes to the audio quality output. With Audioengine's A5+ however, I definitely noticed it. 

@cel4145 is right, you can use your speakers normally as soon as you get them.  Break in will happen on it's own as you use them, and there's nothing special you need to do.  

I work for Audioengine, and we usually recommend around 40 to 50 hours of mid level playback before doing any critical listening, and it is mostly a mechanical thing.  From what I understand, some of the materials we use for the drivers are kind of stiff right after manufacturing and need to move around to loosen up.  

I've had the chance to hear a lot of before/after on this and, once they're broken in, what I tend to notice is that the low end seems to smooth out a bit, and mids/highs seem to be a touch sweeter.

I agree, I think you need to ease up on the burn in. Listen normally at mid level for about 40 hours before cranking up the volume for your own listening pleasure. The bass will come out strong and punchy and will blend nicely with the bright sounding mid/highs, making it, like DanielP said, sweet. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back