audioengine A2 vs. m-audio av40
Nov 18, 2008 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

rkb2948

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking at some desktop speakers to replace my bose ones (yeah I know). The bose ones, while okay at one time, have now developed an incredibly overpowering bass to where there is a near constant buzz when almost any type of music is being played. I was looking at either of the 2 speakers (or others) to replace them. I don't think I'm really interested in having to deal with a subwoofer, and these things would almost never leave my desk. I've read alot of reviews and done alot of searching, both seem to be well regarded, and I personally am looking for something that would really great musically as that is what I'd primarily use them for. I don't have a soundcard and don't plan on getting one for the time being. That said, how do the 2 stack up, for me size isn't too much of an issue, so the small size of the A2's isn't a distinct advantage to me. I'm kind of leaning towards the A2's just because from the reviews I've read the av40's sound sort of flat.

Thanks in advance

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 18
I really like my AV40s. But they cost $140 and I didn't expect much from them. I use them with the Bass Boost turned on. While they're not comparable to high-end speakers, overall they are very enjoyable for music listening.

I find their sound slightly tipped up on both the high and low ends. They're not a speaker with a pronounced or rich midrange. Thus perhaps for their lack of superior mids, you could say they sound "flat." I don't know what else is available in this price range that's better, though. I'm in an office and can't have a subwoofer, so these fit the bill.

My source for these is Foobar2000 playing all kinds of MP3s as well as FLACs, and Internet radio. Amp is on-board Realtek High Definition Audio. The headphone jack sounds really good on my Koss KSC-35's, so I'm assuming that the onboard sound card is capable of decent sound.

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 18
From what I've read the A2s seem to be pretty popular around here, anyone willing to comment on those? I'd largely be using them with music (mostly rock and electronic trancy stuff) and games and such. And barring however silly a question this is, how do they compare to an A900 or SR80 as a reference point?

EDIT: Been looking around a bit more, how are the Swan D1080MkII (and maybe the Swan M10, though I'm not sold on having a sub sitting on the desk).

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 18
If you're in the A2's price range, the Swan M200 MKII is on sale right now for $189 if you don't mind a larger footprint. I had the AV40s before I got these and I've been very happy with the switch. That being said, I don't think you could go wrong with the A2's; I've only heard the A5 and those sound similar to if not better than the M200. Av40's aren't a bad choice by any means I loved vocals on them but if you're willing to go up to the A2's price range you have a few more options.

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by evu325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're in the A2's price range, the Swan M200 MKII is on sale right now for $189 if you don't mind a larger footprint. I had the AV40s before I got these and I've been very happy with the switch. That being said, I don't think you could go wrong with the A2's; I've only heard the A5 and those sound similar to if not better than the M200. Av40's aren't a bad choice by any means I loved vocals on them but if you're willing to go up to the A2's price range you have a few more options.

Wow, that is effing cheap for the Swan M200 MKII. I would buy those so quick if I had the money... damn. They always have a sale when I don't have the money.

Nov 20, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #9 of 18
Let's just say, you won't regret the money spent on them at $189... AT ALL.

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #12 of 18
If I have a choice between used A5's for $200 or the Swan M200 MKII for $189(which will come out to be a few dollars more than $200) what is the better choice for hooking up to a laptop through a DAC?

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 18
Other people have said the difference is substantial and prefer the A5s but I think they're very close (maybe my hearing isn't as good)? If you can get the A5s for that price, however, I say go for the Audioengines. By comparison the Swans have a slightly recessed midrange, but other than that I can't really hear much of a difference. Again, if you purchased the Swans, you would not regret it but for that price go get those A5s before someone else does.

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #14 of 18
i really like my av-40s. I have not had much experience with speakers though.

but one day i was adventurous and decided to build my own set of speakers. so i ordered a pair of tweeters and woofers and a pair of crossovers. built the case and made it all. (took a few hours a day for three days). I used the amp on my av-40 and it already sounded much better. I then ordered a power amp but i had to send it back since the right output didn't work.

Total money spent $100< and much better mids and highs although my porting was a crappy pvc pipe so that's why bass response wasn't that good.

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #15 of 18
I have the A2s and I have to say I'm not a huge fan of them. They sound boxy and removed, like the music is coming from behind a very thin wall.

My experience may be unique though, as others seem to like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back