Audioengine A2 vs Creative Gigaworks T40 Series 2 ?
Dec 29, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #16 of 36
Thanks, this certainly is very helpful. I'll save money by going for the T20s right now and the upgrade to some monitors next year. I tend to burn in all my audio equipment for at least 50-80 hours. so initial impressions will definitely not be my last. To be honest, I wasn't too excited on spending an additional $100 - $120 on the A2 or T40, and was just going with them for a lack of options. This makes it a lot easier. 

Hopefully they will start selling some Swan 200MKII in India by next year!
Quote:
I was coming from a 5.1 setup of Logitech X530, they were horrible compared to the T20, muddy bass (someone here called it single note bass and I agree with him), unclear but thick mid and a recessed, unclear treble. I was very happy with the T20 when I started using it (before burning in they sound kinda stiff, though). If you plan to save up for an upgrade for next year, go for it. I don't think you would be disappointed considering the T40 only add a little more bass and partitially fix the low volume problem of the T20 (I tend to listen at low level and at the level I like, it does not provide a very clear image of the music, not muddy, just some cue is too subtle to hear).

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #17 of 36
The t20's will lack bass, a 2inch driver won't move enough air to get them low notes, eletronic music will sound better with a sub or a 2.0 with bigger drivers, look at the cheaper edifier 2.1 sets the s530 or the s330 or the c2, i think the c2 is around the same price as the t20 and may be a better option as you get a 6.5inch sub aswell as 2 satilites with 2inch midrange drivers and seperate tweeters, sound quality should be around the same level as the t20 but alot fuller as you have a sub to do the low-end, with the the t20's all you will get is mids and highs and i wouldn't enjoy my eletronic music like that.

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #18 of 36

Thanks! I see your point, and as both these brands are easily available in the market I should be able to find a place that lets me demo both the sets before I decide.
I am also getting the Swan M12 (slightly bassier version of the M10) here at pretty much the same price as T20 (it's the only Swan set currently in stock here). It's got a Midwoofer with 5" drivers and 2 satellites with 3" drivers. It doesn't have a dedicated tweeter though which might affect top-end detail adversely. I wonder if that would be better than the T20 and the Edifiers..the problem is that I can't demo the Swans.

Quote:
The t20's will lack bass, a 2inch driver won't move enough air to get them low notes, eletronic music will sound better with a sub or a 2.0 with bigger drivers, look at the cheaper edifier 2.1 sets the s530 or the s330 or the c2, i think the c2 is around the same price as the t20 and may be a better option as you get a 6.5inch sub aswell as 2 satilites with 2inch midrange drivers and seperate tweeters, sound quality should be around the same level as the t20 but alot fuller as you have a sub to do the low-end, with the the t20's all you will get is mids and highs and i wouldn't enjoy my eletronic music like that.

Swan M12
Quote:
Swans high-tech M12, powered 2.1 multimedia system is designed to compliment the high definition graphics delivered by next-gen video game consoles and high-end PCs, but it's also at home in the office connected to your iPod® or MP3 player. Individual amplifiers drive each of this three piece system. 15 watts RMS is sent to each of the aluminized satellite speakers that employ shielded 3" full range drivers that feature tone adjustment controls (midrange and treble) built into the subwoofer. A full 20 watt RMS amplifier is dedicated to the 5" long-throw subwoofer. The bass reflex enclosure features both a front-mounted stereo 3.5 mm MP3 player input jack and a 3.5 mm stereo headphone output. Cool blue LED backlighting is provided for finding the volume control in the dark. Connection cables are included.
High-tech design for modern computer desks
Built-in tone controls for midrange and treble
Shielded system design
3" full range satellite speakers
Dedicated long-throw 5" subwoofer in a bass reflex enclosure

Satellite speaker specifications: • Driver: Shielded 3" full range • Amplifier output: 2 x 15 watts RMS • Frequency response: 180-20,000 Hz • Impedance: 8 ohms • Dimensions: 5.91" H x 3.74" W x 4.65" D.
Subwoofer specifications: • Driver: Shielded 5" long-throw woofer • Amplifier output: 20 watts RMS • Frequency response: 50-200 Hz • Impedance: 4 ohms • Dimensions: 10.12" H x 8.43" W x 9.65" D.

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #19 of 36
About bass, it mostly depends on your type of music. My Yamaha monitors alone does not have as much bass quantity as the T20 and it still works fine for me. Why? My music doesn't have much bass like instrumental music, new age, some modern orchestra, OST... Bring some of your music of various genres to the shop to demo them. That's way you'll have a better assessment.

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #20 of 36
Although my music preference includes a lot of low-end notes, I certainly don't want a system that is bass heavy. I do tend to think that unless the crossovers and drivers are really well engineered, the sub-woofer can be more of a nuisance and become boomy. I would much rather pick a system which is more lean and neutral sounding without any coloration. I think you are right and the only way I would be able to judge the amount of bass preferred would be through some demoing.

Quote:
About bass, it mostly depends on your type of music. My Yamaha monitors alone does not have as much bass quantity as the T20 and it still works fine for me. Why? My music doesn't have much bass like instrumental music, new age, some modern orchestra, OST... Bring some of your music of various genres to the shop to demo them. That's way you'll have a better assessment.

Quick technical question - I am wondering that if all these powered speakers have an onboard amplifiers, how much would I be able to improve their sound by an addon sound card. For example the Edifiers rate the Signal to Noise Ratio of their amplifiers as >=85dBA, so if my sound card has a rated SnR of >=116dBA, and that signal is being passed into the amplifier of the speakers, would the final output be limited to around 85dBA by the onboard amplifier of the powered speakers?

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #21 of 36
Not T40's, but I think worth noting:

I owned two pairs of the T20 Series II for a bit.  The first box was purchased refurbished from Creative for $50 (it was in new condition)
Played it for a few hours.  I didn't like the sound at first.  The second pair (which was suppose to be for me office) was sold because I did not like the initial sound I heard from the first pair.  I let it burn in over the weekend with pink noise.  Monday evening got back home, completely different sound.  What I noted as sounding too "pc speaker'ish" on Friday, really was not there at all on Monday.  Very balanced speaker.  And for $50 refurbished, I think it's hard to do any better.  It's a very nice set of pc speakers.

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:
Quick technical question - I am wondering that if all these powered speakers have an onboard amplifiers, how much would I be able to improve their sound by an addon sound card. For example the Edifiers rate the Signal to Noise Ratio of their amplifiers as >=85dBA, so if my sound card has a rated SnR of >=116dBA, and that signal is being passed into the amplifier of the speakers, would the final output be limited to around 85dBA by the onboard amplifier of the powered speakers?

It does not work that way, more like percentage on top of each other, IOW something like a*x = b then b*y=c. So the better each component of the chain is the better final result you will have.

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #23 of 36

Thanks, I have sent a query to a local Creative dealer for demo of the T20 and T40. Reading your and the other feedback, I'm pretty sure I want to hear these before I decide to buy.

Quote:
Not T40's, but I think worth noting:

I owned two pairs of the T20 Series II for a bit.  The first box was purchased refurbished from Creative for $50 (it was in new condition)
Played it for a few hours.  I didn't like the sound at first.  The second pair (which was suppose to be for me office) was sold because I did not like the initial sound I heard from the first pair.  I let it burn in over the weekend with pink noise.  Monday evening got back home, completely different sound.  What I noted as sounding too "pc speaker'ish" on Friday, really was not there at all on Monday.  Very balanced speaker.  And for $50 refurbished, I think it's hard to do any better.  It's a very nice set of pc speakers.

Thanks, I knew I was wrong on this, but was just trying to figure out how it works. In such a low price range I doubt the on-board amps can be anything better than 86 dB, so I'll focus on the actual reproduction of the sound.
Quote:
It does not work that way, more like percentage on top of each other, IOW something like a*x = b then b*y=c. So the better each component of the chain is the better final result you will have.

So, taking all your feedback into consideration, final options are T20, Swan M12 (No Demo), Edifier S330. At this point of time, I feel I would be satisfied with the T20, but I would really push for a demo first to assess the bass performance. It's not easy but I can push the local Creative company people on this.

Dec 30, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #24 of 36
All the above speakers have there own built in amps, the s330 has a built in dac aswell , i recommend you demo the s330d aswell the edifiers don't have boomy overpowering subs like most 2.1 sets the sub on my s730 is surpisingly neutrual, also you control the sub -10 to +10 on the control pod so you can have the sub the volume you want it, the s330 also has a 3/4" silk dome tweeter my bigger s730 have a 1.25" silk dome tweeter and its the niceist tweeter i've heard in a long time very clear and detailed and never ever sounds harsh the edifiers will easily have nicer highs than the creatives, i wouldn't buy the swans without demoing them first as the highs will suffer coming from a 3" full range driver opposed to a seperate tweeter, with the edifiers you can get the SnR of 85dBA by using there built in dac, you will need a soundcard or something with coax/optical out, for my S730 i use a second hand m-audio audiophile usb and a second hand bettercables Silver Serpent Digital Coax cable, both very cheap and unused.
   by using tb

Dec 31, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #25 of 36
Yeah I read up that the S330 comes in a version that also has Digital Inputs - I'll definitely want to check them out. From the Edifier range, I would say the only reasonable option would be the S330D, as the others in Signature series are too expensive, and the C series doesn't really look that great in terms of pure performance. I'm trying to get in touch with a local Edifier dealer to setup a demo for the S330D and C3. It's much harder to get in touch with someone from Creative right now, but I'm definitely gonna try before making a decision. Swans are out!
Quote:
All the above speakers have there own built in amps, the s330 has a built in dac aswell , i recommend you demo the s330d aswell the edifiers don't have boomy overpowering subs like most 2.1 sets the sub on my s730 is surpisingly neutrual, also you control the sub -10 to +10 on the control pod so you can have the sub the volume you want it, the s330 also has a 3/4" silk dome tweeter my bigger s730 have a 1.25" silk dome tweeter and its the niceist tweeter i've heard in a long time very clear and detailed and never ever sounds harsh the edifiers will easily have nicer highs than the creatives, i wouldn't buy the swans without demoing them first as the highs will suffer coming from a 3" full range driver opposed to a seperate tweeter, with the edifiers you can get the SnR of 85dBA by using there built in dac, you will need a soundcard or something with coax/optical out, for my S730 i use a second hand m-audio audiophile usb and a second hand bettercables Silver Serpent Digital Coax cable, both very cheap and unused.
   by using tb

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #26 of 36
I know it's old, but thank you for this thread. I have owned some Klipsch Promedia 4.1's, some M-Audio Studiophile 4's (compusa/$150/7yrs ago?), and various other crap. While I liked the M-Audio's sound better than the Klipsch, I hated the size of them. The volume control/power on the back drove me nuts too. I was "this" close to pulling the trigger on some A2's from Amazon w/ the stand for $230. I'm honestly not super concerned w/ the quality as much as the profile and controls in the front. If these Gigaworks are even somewhat reasonable sounding, I'll be happy...and for $100 less too!

THanks!

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #27 of 36
I can't speak for the T40's but I tried the Audioengine A2 and I found the bass neither tight or defined. The quantity of bass isn't the problem with these speakers - There is plenty but the quality is poor.

Considering the size of the speakers the sound is still very good though (It's amazing how loud these can go!) and I know lots of people recommend buying stands which I haven't tried but may help matters.

I listen to mostly electronic music and I found the bass really boomy and bloated. They were second hand though and fortunately the power supply went after mere hours. A perfect excuse to send them back!

I know you probably can't get them in India but I have the Aego M and find them brilliant for electronic- and any type of music for the price. Bass is tight, defined and highs are bright and sparkly (I heard they have a 'analytical' sound which I can agree with). They aren't perfect (The laws of physics mean that the midrange isn't amazing) but considering the price (In the UK) they push well above their weight. I've had them probably around 4-5 years now and they still amaze me every time I switch them on.

I don't think the T40's would be any better for bass than the Audioengine A2. For trance music you will really need a subwoofer imo.

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #28 of 36
They were horrible. The T40's don't produce music, they produce electronic farts. I had to remove the midbass completely from my eq to hear anything, lol!

Went back to Fry's and picked up the AV40's for $10 less and they sound SOOOO much better. They still seem to struggle a bit w/ the low end quality wise, but it's more than tolerable now. I think I definitely need to be looking @ something like Swans M200 or the M50's. I've definitely given up on small speakers, haha. :D

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #29 of 36
I must say that I tried in the same room three models T20, T40 and A2 and A5. Yes, I did this comparo in due order for 2 days and I must say that all of them except A5 are huge compromises. Let's dismiss T20 as a non-strarter, they are not emitting music but just sound, they are best for Skype chat. 
T40 are improvement over the T20 but I just never developed a sense of the stage with them, while freq response is wider they sound that they produce is painfully flat or I would like to call it "digital" meaning that string instruments are sounding like replicas of the instruments, not the real deal. 
A2 - I have to agree that bass on these is funny to the point that it can be annoying but one big plus I have heard is the "analog" breathing sound of the speaker, it must be high freq what makes these speakers sound composed but they do play 24/96 Eric Clapton recording via HRT Streamer II+ to the point where you can enjoy it. However, when I plugged in my little REL sub to A2s they sang the song, beautiful music for nearfield listening. 

A5 - they are really good for bass, not sure why people buy subs for them, their highs are interestingly funny but I liked their sound overall, but then their price point is different too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back