Audioengine A2+ popping
May 23, 2015 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

quantummechanic

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

First post here, and i'm looking for some advice with an issue i'm having. I bought a pair of Audioengine A2+ about a month ago to replace my AV40's, and they're proving to be inferior in more ways than one. I noticed a few weeks ago that i would randomly get this popping noise from the speakers, as they do when they're first turned on, or first initialized on computer booting. So i started to look for solutions and figured it was because i was running hackintosh, and it sometimes has issues with sound. So i booted into windows, and low and behold, the same issues occured. It really became annoying when the speakers appeared to 'crash'. When they popped, they would either go back to playing music a few seconds later, but sometimes the music would loop continuously until i unplugged them.

For clarity, this only happens when i have them connected via USB and using the internal DAC on the speaker. I have them connected now by 3.5mm and haven't heard one single pop. I did notice one way to reproduce my issues though (only through usb connection). I have a lamp beside my computer, and every time i turn it off/on, the popping will occur. So i tried moving everything to another outlet and the other side of the room where there was no possible interference. It still happened. It happened when i unplugged anything at the other side of the room even. So it seems to be related to surge issues or something. I tried hooking them up to my laptop with the laptop plugged into the mains, and i haven't experienced a single pop yet. Weird huh?

I did notice on my main pc, when the popping happens, it seems to momentarily kill the internal usb hub on the motherboard. All the devices plugged into my computer disconnect and reconnect. This only happens with the speakers plugged in. Is it possible the speakers are causing an issue with my machine or vice versa? I haven't experienced any issues like this before. I'm tempted to just send them back or buy a dac.

Any ideas? I'm stumped.

May 26, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #2 of 3

DanielP

Member of the Trade: Audioengine
Welcome to head-fi!

Sorry to hear you've been having trouble with your A2+s.  I work for Audioengine, and this doesn't sound like something I'd expect you to run into with them.  If you haven't already I'd recommend contacting Audioengine support - support@audioengineusa.com.  

It sounds like you've already done a good job trying to troubleshoot this, but they may have some ideas for you to try.  Or if it's not something easily fixed, they can help you start a warranty claim.

-daniel

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 3

jaybird5619

New Head-Fier
I realize this post is 3 years old, but I'll take a shot. I currently also have M-Audio AV40s (ridiculously good for the price) and am contemplating getting either the A2+s (or possibly the A5+s). Popping noise aside, what's your opinion of the sound difference? Is there a significant improvement?

Users who are viewing this thread