Audiobyte Hydra Stack: Hydra.Vox + Hydra.Hub + Hydra Zap
Jul 29, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #46 of 913
Its obvious...

giphy.gif

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #47 of 913
"They say" Vox is more "exciting". One guy in another forum prefers Vox because Wavelight is as it is called..."lighter". Here in the Wavelight thread, one preferes it to the Vox. He says its a joy to listen to and more transparent. Have you seen OCD Hifi Guys's vids in YT?. Of course its YT take it as grain of salt. But at least it gives you idea how it compared to others.

13 Mega DAC Shootout
BAlabo BD-1 $37K vs APL HiFi DSD M+ $36K vs AUDIOBYTE HYDRA VOX/ZAP $3.7K
Denafrips Terminator $4.5K vs Jeff Rowland Aeris/PSUP $17K vs Denafrips ARES $800
EXOGAL COMET Plus $3.500 vs Denafrips Pontus $1800 vs STELLO D700 $6K 7 years ago
Vermeer 2 $23K vs MBL 1511 $6K 25 years ago vs WADIA X32 Digimaster $2500 25 years ago

Rockna / Audiobyte Comparison
Rockna Wavedream Sig. Bal $16K vs Audiobyte Black Dragon $1.8K vs AudioByte VOX/ZAP $4K vs APL HiFi DSD M $25K

Audiobyte Vox vs $20K DACs
Audiobyte VOX/ZAP $4K vs APL HiFi DSD Master $20K vs Playback Designs Dream DAC $20K

Those videos don't hold any credibility as they are from the dealer of these products.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 29, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #49 of 913
Unless you can give me another link of a video comparison of Audiobyte Hydra.Vox to other DACs or even a Rockna that doesn't come from him so please post ...

If not, as i said on putting those links, take it for what it is...

BUT again that is not more the case, as far as I am concern. Because I BOUGHT ONE.
What Sandu was saying in his review in Soundnews or Dan's at Headmania and the things your hearing in YT are TRUE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 29, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #50 of 913
Unless you can give me another link of a video comparison of Audiobyte Hydra.Vox to other DACs or even a Rockna that doesn't come from him so please post ...

If not, as i said on putting those links, take it for what it is...

BUT again that is not more the case, as far as I am concern. Because I BOUGHT ONE.
What Sandu was saying in his review in Soundnews or Dan's at Headmania and the things your hearing in YT are TRUE.
Mine is on the way, too!

Jul 31, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #51 of 913
So you rate Termi over VOX/Zap?
How would you rate both compared to the rockna wavelight?

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #57 of 913
Looks like you are planning on driving the headphones directly with the Vox. Let us know how that works.

That is my immediate goal. They were driving the LCD-4 just fine at roughly -28db or so. So it seems there is plenty of headroom. For anything more demanding you would def need an external amp. I have been going back and forth on adding a GSX Mini, but I am going to give it some time and see how I feel about the built in amp first.

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #58 of 913
So I have now had a couple days with the Vox/Zap.... My initial impressions were, this unit is very good but not overwhelming amazing. However as of last night that totally changed. Things have really settled in and opened up. I can now say this unit sounds absolutely fantastic! I am actually surprised this unit does not get more attention. It is a true bargain imo.

With that said I think I need some more power for the LCD-4 and Abyss Diana V2 to get that last bit of goodness out of them. Going to give it some more time, but I have a feeling a dedicated amp will be coming next.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #59 of 913
So I have now had a couple days with the Vox/Zap.... My initial impressions were, this unit is very good but not overwhelming amazing. However as of last night that totally changed. Things have really settled in and opened up. I can now say this unit sounds absolutely fantastic! I am actually surprised this unit does not get more attention. It is a true bargain imo.

With that said I think I need some more power for the LCD-4 and Abyss Diana V2 to get that last bit of goodness out of them. Going to give it some more time, but I have a feeling a dedicated amp will be coming next.
Keep us updated which amp you want to pair them with

Users who are viewing this thread

Back