Audio Zenith PMx2 Impressions page
Sep 18, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #377 of 393
I have a PM1, a PM2x. Il like the PM1, but the PM2x is quite something. I just made an error, I should have bought 2. Alex did a tremendous job, that's just my humble opinion.

Now that they own the Oppo driver tech, would be cool if Massdrop considered collaborating with Audio Zenith to revive PMx2.

Sep 19, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #380 of 393
Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #381 of 393
I also heard about that. Anyway, that wouldn't allow to revive PM2x. Massdrop might have bought the PM3 driver driver tech but what about the skills ? I remember when the PM3 was aroud $350-400 retail in Europe. It might not be the best closed cans, but the ration price/quality was very hard to match.

Sep 29, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #382 of 393
I want a PMx3! :L3000:

Mar 27, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #384 of 393
My PMx2s are getting signs of battered use (usually cosmetics).

Is Alex still selling these? Maybe I'll ask...

However, are there any current offerings that rivals these especially where it excells (ie Timbre, Neutrality and Freq. Response smoothness)?

Mar 27, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #385 of 393
My PMx2s are getting signs of battered use (usually cosmetics).

However, are there any current offerings that rivals these especially where it excells (ie Timbre, Neutrality and Freq. Response smoothness)?
Yes, definitely, but expensive. Meze Empyrean are very close and IMO somewhat better. Both are lovely sounding, highly enjoyable.

Here's my view of the differences, it's an opinion, other views may differ somewhat.
Empyrean has slightly more detail, a touch more transparency.
PMx2 has a slightly fuller midrange.
Empyrean has slightly more bass, and it's well defined bass. Don't take this wrong, I don't mean PMX2 isn't well defined.
I'd say these differences are small, but there. Which is more correct? Hard to say; the PMx2 is superb for vocals, with great naturalness, tone, and perhaps a touch of warmth; the Empyrean might be a touch more neutral, and with the fine transparency (without harshness!) gives superb realism. Both superb but with very slightly different flavours; I now prefer the Empyrean.
Both are very comfortable, the PMx2 slightly more so.
Though figures for sensitivity are similar and people say the Empyrean is easy to drive, I find the Empyrean a bit less sensitive, and it benefits from some power to get the best out of them.
Obviously all phones benefit from a good source and amp, but this seems particularly true of the Empyrean. They love a good valve amp, but I've had to develop my DIY valve amp to get really good results.
With a superb Lector R2R/valve dac and a decent valve amp, the Empyrean gives plenty of fine, spine-tingly music; close to musical heaven.

Timbre, neutrality, response smoothness - yes, Empyrean does all these exceptionally well, but add 'enjoyment' to the list.
Plenty of info on the thread here.

Mar 27, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #386 of 393
Thank you Meze Empyrean along w/ D8000 Pro are among in my shortlist.

Have an Audiiobyte Hydra.Vox as DAC and Pathos Inpol Ear as amp.

Mar 29, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #390 of 393
Well I didn't trade my PMx2 and will keep them as they are very good.
But ultimately I prefer the Empyrean as explained above.

That is a very strong opinion; can you expand on what you dislike about the sound of the Empyrean?
I dislike nothing about the Empyrean. I might even buy one if I had enough money (price in France is 2999 €, about UDS 3530).

It is just that I had "un coup de coeur" a crush on the PMx2.

I keep some headphones because they mattered in my life : I'd like to find an AKG240 from the beginning of the 80's, best part of my life, I keep a ruined HD-560 Ovation because it's the first headphone I heard when I came out of coma, a PM3 that was my buddy during an over 2 years functionnal rehabilitation.

But you're right, I should have mentionned that my answer was kind of a tribute to Alex.

I made an error and can't edit my post. My most sincere apologises and PMx2 :heart_eyes_cat: Empyrean :L3000::L3000::L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back