Audio-Technica's Take on the Microdriver: ATH-CKN50 and CKN70
May 24, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #196 of 294
Quote:
What tips do you find best with those? Stock?

I take the 3590 tips and mount them onto Audio Technica ATH-CKN70 IEMs. These are unique IEMs which use carbon nano-tube technology. They sound very harsh with their stock tips but sound marvelous with the Philips SHE3590 tips which are a soft silicone (I think). This was suggested by another poster so I can't take credit for discovering this but I can confirm that he made a great discovery. 

May 24, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #197 of 294
I take the 3590 tips and mount them onto Audio Technica ATH-CKN70 IEMs. These are unique IEMs which use carbon nano-tube technology. They sound very harsh with their stock tips but sound marvelous with the Philips SHE3590 tips which are a soft silicone (I think). This was suggested by another poster so I can't take credit for discovering this but I can confirm that he made a great discovery. 

Perhaps those tips will improve the sound of other IEMs as well. Zero Audio Carbo Tenore for example... Hmm?

May 24, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #199 of 294
Quote:
Perhaps those tips will improve the sound of other IEMs as well. Zero Audio Carbo Tenore for example... Hmm?

I've been wondering that as well. Thinking of maybe trying them on the T-Peos H200 triple hybrid IEMs. Just not sure if they will fit or not. It was no easy task getting them mounted onto the CKN70's.

Might be worth a try with some other IEMs. I actually bought two 3590's so I'd have spare tips if necessary some day. At just $4 it wasn't much of an investment for the same shipping cost.

May 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #200 of 294
Quote:
talking about tips rolling, does  anyone find it hard to take the stock tips off?

Yes! Sometimes it can be a real struggle. I've settled on a technique of holding one side with the fingernails of my first two fingers and pressing with my thumb nail on the other side. Then I rotate the tip core while pulling and that usually works pretty well.

I've been pondering if there would be some way to heat up the tip without damaging the IEM. I bet the heat would soften the plastic and make removal or mounting much easier. Anyone got thoughts on how to do that?

May 24, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #202 of 294
I've been wondering that as well. Thinking of maybe trying them on the T-Peos H200 triple hybrid IEMs. Just not sure if they will fit or not. It was no easy task getting them mounted onto the CKN70's.

Might be worth a try with some other IEMs. I actually bought two 3590's so I'd have spare tips if necessary some day. At just $4 it wasn't much of an investment for the same shipping cost.

Ah that's true, I might get some SHE3590s just for the tips. They are only £5.99 on Amazon.co.uk.

May 24, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #203 of 294
Quote:

No I meant what tips do you find best with the 3590 themselves lol.

May 24, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #204 of 294
Quote:
No I meant what tips do you find best with the 3590 themselves lol.

Sorry, didn't understand. Truth be told, I never listened to the 3590s. I would imagine the stock tips would work well with them though... only bought them to scavenge the tips.

I'm not judging the 3590s but my whole focus was getting the best possible sound out of the CKN70s. The first thing I did was remove the medium tips from the 3590s to try out on the CKN70. There's a whole thread on the 3580/3590s so a lot of people probably think pretty highly of them.

May 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #205 of 294
Sorry, didn't understand. Truth be told, I never listened to the 3590s. I would imagine the stock tips would work well with them though... only bought them to scavenge the tips.

Lol!

You bought some earphones and you didint even listen to them?

That's new :p

May 24, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #206 of 294
Quote:
Lol!

That's new
tongue.gif

Yep, that's what I did. Seems odd but the CKN70s cost me about 15 times as much (well, only about 7 times as much including shipping) and I was intent on solving the harshness issue. Takes all kinds I guess.

May 24, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #208 of 294
Quote:
Lol!

That's new
tongue.gif

I've done that too. I bought these headphones for 1.99 just for the headband (for my ksc75 drivers). Never bothered listening to the original drivers - straight into the garbage can they went lol!

May 24, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #209 of 294
I'll probably just buy the 3590's for the tips and not listen to them either! :p

Lol, I'd find myself hard pressed not to listen to them after reading the appreciation thread. People were proper raving about them there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back