Audio-Technica's Take on the Microdriver: ATH-CKN50 and CKN70
Apr 30, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #151 of 294
Quote:
Replied to your post in the discovery thread.
biggrin.gif

Btw any particular reason why you're more interested in the Carbo Basso?

Mostly based on Dsnuts' impressions really, it sounds like I would like it.

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #152 of 294
Quote:
It's normal, mine has a white mesh cover as well. So no worries.

Quote:
It's the CKN50 that has the holes.

Quote:
I have both - the 50 have 2 holes, the 70 none.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, appreciate it. Right now in the process of burning in and initial impression is encouraging.

I'm also looking forward for the Carbo Basso to be available on ebay. I really like the look of it and will sure pick up a pair.

Quote:
from the OP:
the 70 have 3 holes. and i think the 50 have 2 or 1.

Hi Zelda, do you mean to say that you can see the 3 holes on your unit? I'm sure the CKN50 have 2 holes as i"ve seen it personally. Thanks.

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #153 of 294
Mostly based on Dsnuts' impressions really, it sounds like I would like it.

Ah that's fair enough I guess.

I'm gonna go for the DX200 since if looks like it will have more accuracy / speed which is what I need if I'm listening to Trance.

Hopefully, they might be the upgrade to my Yamahas that I've been looking for.

May 1, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #155 of 294
Hi Zelda, thanks for posting the pics. I'm assuming the 3 holes are right under the white mesh which might be acting as a kind of a filter or something.

Anyway, the T's and S's seems to have settle down quite a lot compared to open box. Also, I found that I need to get a proper seal and certain depth insertion plays a very big part to the overall sound. As at now, the 70 (with about 20 hours of burning) sounds full with good clarity with the Sony hybrid tips but still sounds a little closed in. Will try with the TF10 single flange tips and burn them further and see if that will yield better results.

Thanks again everyone for the feedbacks.

May 1, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #157 of 294
Yes, actually - though the 70s have better resolution and imaging, the 50s have a fuller and more even frequency response (going by my ears, haven't seen any graphs). The crispness and cleanness of the 70s are great, but I'd like them more if they were less V-shaped and had a signature more like the 50s. For rough rock or metal recordings that profit from warmth and don't need a magnifying glass on the details, for example, the 50s are definitely better in my book.

May 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #158 of 294
Quote:
Yes, actually - though the 70s have better resolution and imaging, the 50s have a fuller and more even frequency response (going by my ears, haven't seen any graphs). The crispness and cleanness of the 70s are great, but I'd like them more if they were less V-shaped and had a signature more like the 50s. For rough rock or metal recordings that profit from warmth and don't need a magnifying glass on the details, for example, the 50s are definitely better in my book.

agreed on that, detail is very nice
beerchug.gif
 for the comparision

May 2, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #159 of 294
So I did some tip rolling, and so far of the tips I have I quite like Sony hybrid foam tips with the CKN70. The normal hybrids take the edge off the sibilance and the foam variant seems to fill in some mid warmth. I think this may be due to the extra foaming causing the sound tube to constrict a little in the ear canal, since I can't imagine the foam having a direct effect on the sound.

Normally I don't find the foam tips to be all that comfortable but the earloop seems to take off some of the additional pressure caused by the foam insert. With this combo the CKN70 actually sounds closer to natural.

May 3, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #163 of 294
So I finally did my review of the CKN70:

I'm kind of glad I fried the foam hybrid tips or I would have given a much more negative impression. I still think the RE-400 is a better value option than the CKn70 especially considering the cable.

May 4, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #165 of 294
I don't use a clip with them. Granted, I've only used them outside ~3 times. They're just so ugly it's embarrassing.....
....nah :p

Great video!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back