Audio-Technica's New Multidriver IEMs: The ATH-IM Series
Dec 28, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #212 of 427
wow I didn't know the IM50 was priced so low.  Now I'm intrigued.  After the R3 I want to try out another dual dynamic.  So far I've read that the IM70 is bassier than the IM50.   Anyone heard both?  or one of them and can compare them to other iems?

Dec 28, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #213 of 427
I only have the IM50, but it clearly has more bass than neutral, and more than something like the GR07, so the IM70 must be a pretty bassy phone to have more than that. The IM50 really is excellent, better separation and layering in the soundstage than one would expect at the price.

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #214 of 427
So I finally got my pair of IM50's today, bought from Yodobashi Camera by a friend. They've got only about 10 minutes of play time on them, but here are my thoughts so far:

1. Holy crap that's a lot of bass for an IEM. I thought the CKN70s were fairly bassy phones, but these are nuts. I don't think I could stand to listen to the IM70s if they have more bass than the 50s.
2. The bass is pretty deep, but so far it's pretty bloated. I'm hoping this is something that not only tames down but also tightens up over time.
3. I really like the mids. They're forward but nicely defined and don't get in your face.
4. The highs are also quite nice. Not sibilant or harsh, but still crisp. Trouble is, it's hard to really tell how decent the highs are because all I hear is bass. But if I throw on an EQ curve that rolls of the low end, the highs are definitely there.
5. Build construction is great, they fit very comfortably, and the memory wire works very well for me. The cord is decent too, but about 2 feet too short for my taste.
6. For $60 or so, even if the sound doesn't change during break-in, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better value.

I'm not the biggest believer in burn-in, but for A-T's headphones it does seem to make a difference. I'll throw these on the iPod burn-in rig for a couple of days and see if that low end gets tamed a bit.

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #216 of 427
  I only have the IM50, but it clearly has more bass than neutral, and more than something like the GR07, so the IM70 must be a pretty bassy phone to have more than that. The IM50 really is excellent, better separation and layering in the soundstage than one would expect at the price.

thanks.... hmmm.  GR07mkII or BE?

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #218 of 427
Originally Posted by DrWebster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Holy crap that's a lot of bass for an IEM. I thought the CKN70s were fairly bassy phones, but these are nuts. I don't think I could stand to listen to the IM70s if they have more bass than the 50s.

Based on reading this http://www.phileweb.com/review/article/201310/10/964.html, with the help of google translate (so I cannot guarantee correctness), it seems that the bass of IM70, when compared to IM50, is more controlled with damping obviously improved, more "air" and clearer.  So, IM70 may not be bassier, but may have more bass "impact".

Hope we'll hear from someone who has listened to both.

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #219 of 427
2. The bass is pretty deep, but so far it's pretty bloated. I'm hoping this is something that not only tames down but also tightens up over time.

If you have some thinner tips, maybe with a wider bore (UE TF10 for example), they'll clear that up a bit. The AT tips are pretty thick.

thanks.... hmmm.  GR07mkII or BE?

Mk I.

Originally Posted by tlau1125 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

it seems that the bass of IM70, when compared to IM50, is more controlled with damping obviously improved, more "air" and clearer.  So, IM70 may not be bassier, but may have more bass "impact".

Hope we'll hear from someone who has listened to both.

Here's one:

The sound signature of this earphone is not for EtyHeads, obviously, but the bass response is well within reason for the mainstream audience. Bassheads, conversely, will perhaps crave the bassier IM70, which gives more mid-bass impact and even greater sub-bass decay. 

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #221 of 427
I bought mine from cdjapan they are very impressive seller

Same here, they were in the front door within a week (using Fedex, though they did spiked the price a little, but i regret nothing!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back