Audio Technica WS1100 - Replacement Pads
Jul 4, 2018 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

daiso one

New Head-Fier
I've been trying to find the perfect replacement ear pads for my ATH-WS1100's for the past couple of months but haven't been able to find any resources on this topic. The closest I got to was a post on a few that have been tried and tests like the Brainwavs HM5 pads. I contacted Brainwavs directly and they told me to measure the pads, however the measurements on my headphones didn't quiet line up with their pads.

The stock earpads were comfortable but due to the climate and sweat here, they have started to deteriorate rather quickly.

1. Has anyone got third party quality pads for these headphones before ?
  2. What should I look at when getting a pair of replacement pads online?
  3. What is the difference between angled and flat ? Do they really make a difference.
I'm trying to consider on which material would best suit the climate here in Singapore too. Its generally hot and humid most of the time.

Currently I've come across the Sheepskin/Pleather versions from Brainwavs as these are readily available in Singapore (where I'm from) through an online retailer.

The links below are the ones I am planning to get but have no clue if they fit or not. Would really appreciate if someone could help me out here. It's been weeks of research and I've only come down to these three where I've found posts about. However, never really got a definitive response on how they actually affect the sound quality or if they would suit the climate.

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 17
If you sweat a lot, the sheepskin leather will work best. Otherwise, you can get a close-to-exact matching ear pad set here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075M3Y2BJ/ref=psdc_13880181_t1_B078J3XHYS
Hey thanks heaps man. I just ordered the Pleather ones cause the sheepskin were sold out and I badly need the replacement. I managed to take the old pads off and take some measurements. Then doubled checked the sizing with the local distributor. Hopefully I get to do another upgrade in a month or two to the sheepskin ones. I guess it would be safe to just have two sets lying around just in case.

Oct 8, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 17
would putting massive pads on it make the soundstage larger by alot?

At least with the HM5 angled pleather ear pads on the ATH-M50x, yes. You can get other pairs of ear pads, just make sure they will measure up to the earcups dimensions, as AT model earcups can vary in dimensions, diameter (like the ATH-W5000 ear cup diameter being 5-10mm larger than ATH-W1000x ear cups), AND other ways, like headband type.

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 17
At least with the HM5 angled pleather ear pads on the ATH-M50x, yes. You can get other pairs of ear pads, just make sure they will measure up to the earcups dimensions, as AT model earcups can vary in dimensions, diameter (like the ATH-W5000 ear cup diameter being 5-10mm larger than ATH-W1000x ear cups), AND other ways, like headband type.
the drivers are angled on ws1100.

ill hold tight until i feel more confident

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #8 of 17
the drivers are angled on ws1100.

ill hold tight until i feel more confident

The M50x also has angled drivers, but the HM5 angled pleather ear pads still makes a bigger soundstage, making it absolutely perfect for chamber music. Absolutely best for larger ears, too. Just put the ear pads on and rotate the angled part down a bit for proper positioning of your ear lobes.:)

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #9 of 17
The M50x also has angled drivers, but the HM5 angled pleather ear pads still makes a bigger soundstage, making it absolutely perfect for chamber music. Absolutely best for larger ears, too. Just put the ear pads on and rotate the angled part down a bit for proper positioning of your ear lobes.:)
so im thinking ZMF cowhide

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #10 of 17
so im thinking ZMF cowhide

I heard that the sheepskin ones are softer, but if you plan on using them outside, then the cowhide should be more rugged. In that case, get a vinyl headband cover as well to prevent pleather flaking, with ath-m50x-made covers having very comparable dimensions with the WS1100.

Oct 10, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #11 of 17
I heard that the sheepskin ones are softer, but if you plan on using them outside, then the cowhide should be more rugged. In that case, get a vinyl headband cover as well to prevent pleather flaking, with ath-m50x-made covers having very comparable dimensions with the WS1100.
does msr7 have pleather flaking?

ill probably just leave the pads. i went to a headphone store yesterday and tried sonorous III which apparently has a wide soundstage and i couldnt tell the difference.

Mar 28, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 17
is there a headband cover you can rec me? the ws1100is is almost flaking, you were right! dekoni had pads, im not sure if thats good enough.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #13 of 17
is there a headband cover you can rec me? the ws1100is is almost flaking, you were right! dekoni had pads, im not sure if thats good enough.

Yeah, Dekoni ear pads have a lot of variety, very closely copy the dimensions of stock ear pad sets, and are exceptionally comfortable. For the headband cover, check this one out, probably have Dekoni ear pads to combine for free shipping, too:

https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-pr...72783C9THYK&psc=1&refRID=0ZBJGKJQX72783C9THYK

Mar 29, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #14 of 17
Jun 12, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #15 of 17
I went with the Brainwavs Pleather earpads .. now I'm searching for a cover for my headband.. it already started flaking really badly.

I would love to replace the entire cushion on the headband but that seems rather impossible.

Guess the only solution will be to get the cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back