Audio Technica W100 / W2002 vs Sony MDR CD3000 / CD2000 (soundstage, imaging)?
Nov 14, 2002 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

halcyon

Headphoneus Supremus
I'd love to have a good pair of closed headphones with a more of an outside the head headspace than what is the norm with headphones.

Now, CD3000 from Sony and several Audio Technica models have drivers angled towards the ear in order to improve outside the head illusion.

I've heard the praise for CD3000 (esp. from the binaural folk), but I have heard very little comments for AT cans in this department.

The only AT can I've auditioned was W100 and that didn't actually startle me with the soundstage position (still almost fully inside my head).

Can somebody with experience with W2002 and CD3000 comment on this?

Which model would you prefer in terms of out of the head imaging (and binaural listening)?

Are the differences small, big or non-existant?

regards,
Halcyon

Nov 14, 2002 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 10
I'm working from memory here, but I think the CD3K has a bigger and "deeper" soundstage than the W2002, but the W2002 is no slouch in that area, and both are light years ahead of the flat and distant HD600.

You might want to check my reviews of both phones up in the permanent section for more detailed reactions when I had them.

Mark

Nov 15, 2002 at 7:11 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by halcyon
The only AT can I've auditioned was W100 and that didn't actually startle me with the soundstage position (still almost fully inside my head).

Can somebody with experience with W2002 and CD3000 comment on this?

Which model would you prefer in terms of out of the head imaging (and binaural listening)?

Are the differences small, big or non-existant?

The W2002 and CD3000 are my favorite 'phones and I listen to both on a regular basis. IMO, they share far more similarities than differences: Both are supremely comfortable, can be driven from practically any source, offer great imaging and a wide, well defined soundstage. I rate both above the other headphones I own which include the K1000, K501, HD600, DT990 and Ety 4P/S. These are all fine, of course, but I find them lacking in some important aspect compared to the W2002 and Sony CD3000.

I consider the CD3000 to be the best value and the W2002 to be the better investment. I can't imagine anyone being less than delighted with either.

Spad

Nov 15, 2002 at 9:39 AM Post #4 of 10
Spad,
Based on your description on your post, no wonder that no one in the board is selling his/her CD-3000. I really want to know how good is it...
wink.gif

Purk

Nov 15, 2002 at 11:05 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
Spad,
Based on your description on your post, no wonder that no one in the board is selling his/her CD-3000. I really want to know how good is it...
wink.gif

Purk

If you want to know how good it is there seems to be no better source than MarkL's review!! It is well done and does a great job comparing them to the Senn 600s. I have heard some who own them say they're a little finicky about source/amps, but since I don't own them I'll jsut pass this along to you.

If it weren't for the new A/W1000's by AT I would be listening to a pair of CD4Ks right now!!! They seem to be that good!!!!

Nov 15, 2002 at 1:20 PM Post #6 of 10
is there any way to make the 3000 work with a portable amp?

Nov 15, 2002 at 2:41 PM Post #7 of 10
The CD-3000 doesn't require a lot of power to drive, and can be driven by almost anything. The question is whether or not it will sound good in a particular application. A portable amp will drive it, but the CD3K isn't going to hide any flaws in the amp or source, and can sometimes sound awful when the system isn't matched to it. This is not restricted to portables, either.

Nov 15, 2002 at 5:18 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by linnem
is there any way to make the 3000 work with a portable amp?

I mainly use my CD3000s with portable gear and reserve the W2002s for use with a Headmaster. The W2002s are equally easy to drive, but I don't want to risk damaging them outside my well-padded den.

Much of my work day is spent in my backyard writing or reading while wearing either the CD3000s or, when deployed in remote locations, Ety 4Ps. I could easily replace the Sonys should I dunk them in the pool, but, as you know, replacing the W2002s would be far more problematical.

The backyard rig I use at the moment consists of either a Sony EJ1000 PCDP, FixUp's SuperMini V2, and CD3000s, or Apple iPods, SuperMini, and the Sonys. The 3000s are easily driven by the iPods directly, as are the W2002s.

You, or anyone else reading my comments, should bear in mind that I am not an audio purist. I long ago gave up any hope of replicating the sound of the Berlin Philharmonic in my home, much less over headphones. What I seek is only a very pleasant listening experience using music, mostly classical, that I've heard for decades, leavened with equal measures of comfort and convenience.

For me, Mozart matters far more than any manufacturer's name or reputation. I would rather hear the "Jupiter" over ten buck earbuds than hip hop over an Orpheus.

Spad

Nov 15, 2002 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 10
I am one of the few who don't like the CD3000's. The trouble is not the efficiency, bass or basic sound per se - but I could clearly detect all those tinny, ringing noises from the CD3000's. Their semi-closed backs all cause strong ringing problems, because the material used in those cups are very resonance-prone. I actually preferred the cheaper open-back CD2000 to the CD3000, even though the CD2000 is a bit dark for my liking.

Nov 15, 2002 at 10:55 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
I am one of the few who don't like the CD3000's. The trouble is not the efficiency, bass or basic sound per se - but I could clearly detect all those tinny, ringing noises from the CD3000's. Their semi-closed backs all cause strong ringing problems, because the material used in those cups are very resonance-prone. I actually preferred the cheaper open-back CD2000 to the CD3000, even though the CD2000 is a bit dark for my liking.

si there anyway to stick something inside, or to the outside of, these cans to help reduce that effect?? Maybe like a little strip of Dynamat to go somewhere to reduce this effect from happening??
It works well for deadening car rattles and stuff, why not a set of cans?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back