Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Apr 1, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #887 of 2,205
At this early point I want to put the MA900 between the AD900X and the AD1000X...

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #888 of 2,205
Quote:
Quote:
You're the man! Congrats. Looking forward to you letting us know that the ad900x's are pretty much on par with them!
wink.gif

Haha thanks.

Early impressions and I don't have an AD900X for direct comparison anymore, but the AD1000X is seems much better at imaging than the AD900X. My misgivings about the AD900X's splashiness are immediately resolved.

However, the AD1000X is also voiced pretty distinctly. The AD900X is neutral, but the AD1000X definitely has some mid colouration (reminds me of the AD2000X but not as nasal). I'm still trying to work out exactly what is happening in terms of the sound, but it definitely has a more solid sound than the AD900X without that same sense of treble extension. It feels like a more forgiving phone.

It also feels way more comfortable compared to the AD900X. I think for $280 or so my initial instinct is to think that I got a great deal.

This sound also makes me EXTREMELY curious about what the AD2000X sounds like.

When did you try the AD2000X?

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #891 of 2,205
Quote:
No F-ing way! I ordered my AD2000X a good few days before you and I don't think they've even arrived at the Tenso warehouse yet 
mad.gif

That sucks! Maybe the AD2000X ran out at Amazon. Have they shipped from Amazon JP yet?

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #893 of 2,205
Okay, yep, the AD1000X sounds pretty awesome to me.

This is one of those rare circumstances where there is no diminishing return on performance; a 1/3 price increase on the AD900X ($180 USD vs $280 USD) has resulted in an at least a 1/3 improvement in technical performance. That said, I'm not sure how similar the AD1000X and AD900X are in terms of signature - only that the AD1000X images far better.

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #894 of 2,205

Quote:
Okay, yep, the AD1000X sounds pretty awesome to me.

This is one of those rare circumstances where there is no diminishing return on performance; a 1/3 price increase on the AD900X ($180 USD vs $280 USD) has resulted in an at least a 1/3 improvement in technical performance. That said, I'm not sure how similar the AD1000X and AD900X are in terms of signature - only that the AD1000X images far better.

I own the AD900x and am now very interested in the AD1000x! I do feel the imaging ability of the AD900x is a bit lacking and is the one thing that I feel like I am missing the most. I would also like to know if you can recall how similar the bass is compared to the AD900x?  I am satisfied with the bass extension on my set, but would enjoy an ever so slight increase in bass impact.   

Apr 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #896 of 2,205
Quote:
For the price ($180 shipped), I'm loving the AD900X's.  Mids and highs and soundstage are all great.  The bass leaves something to be desired, but is still quite enjoyable.

Yup - they are amazing for that price - what a beautiful sound signature. Lovely balance. As far as the imaging is concerned, yeah I suppose it could be better, but I don't really notice any problems, so it is obviously more than adequate for me.

Regarding  the bass, do you use an amp? I'm using the E12, and the AD900X sounds wonderful out of it. And the bass boost really works well also. I honestly don't ever feel that the bass is lacking and it just sounds very nicely balanced. Btw, if you ever want to get a closed set of cans with really amazing bass to compliment the ad900x's, consider the WS99's. Pretty sweet pairing imo.

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #897 of 2,205
Quote:
Ordering the AD2000X very soon. $715 w/ EMS shipping, a few shmups (type of game), assorted kit kats, and other random crap included. Seems like a fair deal to me.

Jqpanese Kit Kats are awesome....we get shafted here in the US. Chocolate. Thats it.

MAybe I'll order another pair of Japanese only headphones sine the AD900x and A900x are readily available in the US now.

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #898 of 2,205
Quote:
I own the AD900x and am now very interested in the AD1000x! I do feel the imaging ability of the AD900x is a bit lacking and is the one thing that I feel like I am missing the most. I would also like to know if you can recall how similar the bass is compared to the AD900x?  I am satisfied with the bass extension on my set, but would enjoy an ever so slight increase in bass impact.   

I get an impression that the bass is actually stronger on the AD1000X, though that may be because the highs are smoother so I turn up the volume higher on them.

I'm pretty satisfied with the level of bass; its on par with the MA900 if not more. On some tracks I've been surprised at the impact of the bass, especially for an open headphone. It sounds pretty tight.

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #899 of 2,205
Quote:

Yup - they are amazing for that price - what a beautiful sound signature. Lovely balance. As far as the imaging is concerned, yeah I suppose it could be better, but I don't really notice any problems, so it is obviously more than adequate for me.

Regarding  the bass, do you use an amp? I'm using the E12, and the AD900X sounds wonderful out of it. And the bass boost really works well also. I honestly don't ever feel that the bass is lacking and it just sounds very nicely balanced. Btw, if you ever want to get a closed set of cans with really amazing bass to compliment the ad900x's, consider the WS99's. Pretty sweet pairing imo.

I was using a E07K AMP/DAC, but the DAC was causing BSODs on my laptop and was barely, if any, an improvement in sound quality.  Using it as an amp, the sound was slightly better, but I returned it yesterday though as I figured if I couldn't use the DAC, I shouldn't be paying for it.  I may get just an amp, like an E11 or E12, or maybe a different DAC/AMP, I haven't decided yet.  Where did you get an E12 and how much did it cost?  I haven't been able to find anyone selling it.

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #900 of 2,205
The E12 is currently entering mass production (with a revised bass boost) and should start to be available in the next few weeks. Check micca store if you're in the US.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620339/fiio-flagship-portable-amp-mont-blanc-e12-discussing-thread-the-pre-order-unit-arrives/1710#post_9309478

More info at this post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back