Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Mar 24, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #841 of 2,205
Quote:
Is there anyone who has heard both the ATH-AD700 and the ATH-AD700x?

I would like to know if they 700x maintains the giant sound stage of the AD700 that I have read so much about? 

I would also like to know if they are still very good with treble music such as metal and rock, yet another thing Ive read the AD700 does amazingly well for its price.

If you can afford it I would get the AD900X instead of the 700X for the few dollars more they cost. I have the A900X and love this headphone for its great detailed sound , its airiness, its great mids and bass and nonsibilant treble with a good soundstage. The only problem for the A900X is it can have boomy bass on a bad recording which probably is not an issue with the AD900X. I will probably get the AD900X to get the open version also. I listen to rock and the bass makes a difference.

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #842 of 2,205
If you can afford it I would get the AD900X instead of the 700X for the few dollars more they cost. I have the A900X and love this headphone for its great detailed sound , its airiness, its great mids and bass and nonsibilant treble with a good soundstage. The only problem for the A900X is it can have boomy bass on a bad recording which probably is not an issue with the AD900X. I will probably get the AD900X to get the open version also. I listen to rock and the bass makes a difference.

Do you own the AD900X and AD700X or are simply recommending it based on your use of the A900X? If it's the latter, I don't know why you'd recommend something you have not used and is so incredibly contrast from each other. One is open and one is closed. It's apples and oranges. Completely not comparable.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #843 of 2,205
Yes I don't understand why people are offering opinions on the ath-ad700x and ath-ad900x when it seems everyone only owns the ath-a900x. I used the ath-ad700x for the past three days and the sound stage is very wide and detailed. However the highs were very piercing and fatiguing. It worked great with classical, acoustic, and female vocals, but weren't very good with any electronic music. It fit perfectly on my head, but my roommate with a wider head needed to use a rubber band to tie the wings.

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #844 of 2,205
So can anyone recommend me a better headphone over the AD700x? Im looking for that massive soundstage Ive heard so much about in the 700x mainly for gaming. But I would also love to have a headphone that does very well with my treble music such as Metallica and Guns & Roses. Or would the ATH-AD700x still be best?

I looked at the AKG K240 MKII but couldnt find out anything definable that I wanted. Budget would probably be $125 max.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #845 of 2,205
Quote:
Yes I don't understand why people are offering opinions on the ath-ad700x and ath-ad900x when it seems everyone only owns the ath-a900x. I used the ath-ad700x for the past three days and the sound stage is very wide and detailed. However the highs were very piercing and fatiguing. It worked great with classical, acoustic, and female vocals, but weren't very good with any electronic music. It fit perfectly on my head, but my roommate with a wider head needed to use a rubber band to tie the wings.

Are you familiar with the AD700? If so, how does the AD700X compare to it?

Quote:
So can anyone recommend me a better headphone over the AD700x? Im looking for that massive soundstage Ive heard so much about in the 700x mainly for gaming. But I would also love to have a headphone that does very well with my treble music such as Metallica and Guns & Roses. Or would the ATH-AD700x still be best?

I looked at the AKG K240 MKII but couldnt find out anything definable that I wanted. Budget would probably be $125 max.

I have not tried the AD700X, but I know for a fact that the reason you buy the AD700 is because of the extremely massive soundstage, detail whoring, and positional audio. It sounds great with Metallica and GNR. Try that first, especially considering how cheap it is. I'd love to see a comparison against the AD700X, but my gut is telling me they put resources into improving other aspects of it since the soundstage, detail, and positioning really need none.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #846 of 2,205

How is the bass? I have the 700 and am curious how they changed it in the x version.

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #847 of 2,205
I was listening to my phones again, T500, A900X and AD700. I keep going back to the AD700 for its staging and highs. Have Fagen's - Morph the Cat on CD and used the computer CD player to play it back, beats FLAC all to hell. Also have a Blu-Ray player in the computer so I put the CD in there to check it out. That would be a red beam versus a blue beam of light reading the tracks and maybe some better internal DACs, I am not sure but Mary Shut The Garden Door track 08 was a cheap thrill compared to the CD player's output.

I know some of the older DVD player wouldn't plays CDs (including stand alone players) but all the different players can handle it now. You can tell me if your phones sound any better from a CD played in maybe a DVD or Blu-Ray player.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #849 of 2,205
I can't compare it to the ath-ad700 since I've never tried it. I would only be able to compare it to the ath-ad900x and soon the ath-a900x.

True but I'm just wondering what you think about it. Is it lacking? Full? Too much bass relative to the rest of the presentation (lolol)? What do you think about the texture?

I know it's all subjective and therefore difficult between the two of us to compare headphones that one of us doesn't have, but basically, I just want to know what kind of quality the ad700x bass is since the ad700 has practically no bass to speak of. Good to hear that the soundstage is still big, though.

How is it compared to the ad900x, too, since I do have that phone.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #850 of 2,205
The bass is definitely lacking. If you are even the slightest dissatisfied with the bass on the ath-ad900x then the ath-ad700x would for sure disappoint you. The bass has zero impact, you can kind of hear it there, but it makes you feel something is missing. My roommate used the headphones to play counterstrike and he said that the gun shots were pretty much killing his ears since it was so loud(he used an equalizer that helped balance the sound, but it still wasn't perfect). There has probably only been 25-30 of hours of burn in the headphones, but the sound is not very balanced. I think my roommate is going to see if the changes within another week before he is going to sell them.

If all you plan on listening to is slower acoustic, classical, non-electric music(the treble creates an echo like sound that makes most string instruments sound amazing as well as female vocals) then I could recommend them, but otherwise I feel that the ath-ad900x is noticeably superior and worth the increase of $30. 

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #851 of 2,205
I'd like to point out, I don't think my ear pads are uniform. ATH-ad900x

the left ear pad didn't fit for a bit  and the right ear pad did. (could be because of my ears, though read on)

but i rotated the left ear pad to the right and left for a while and the left ear pad fits better on the left ear now. I'm not sure if they're supposed to be uniform or not, but I did notice it. I'm guessing it might be manufacturing issue? not a big deal, but just a heads up if someone complaining they dont fit their ears perfectly.

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #853 of 2,205
This thread is badly lacking good comparisons between the AD900X and AD2000X. I picked up some AD900X from a certain poster in this thread but have always been interested in the AD2000. So I felt I had no choice but to go ahead and order them while they are discounted on Amazon Japan. I really hope I entered my Tenso address correctly, does this look right?

[size=smaller]My Name
120-0023
Tokyo-to 足立区千住曙町42-4
TSXXXXXXX
通販商品配送サービスTENSO取次ぎ
[/size]

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #854 of 2,205
Quote:
while they are discounted on Amazon

Wait is there some kind of special discount at the moment?

Edit: The prices do seem very cheap atm. I might spring for the AD1000X...

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #855 of 2,205
Shame that my AD900x has no pivot but it does grip nicely on the sides so I have no qualms. 

Quote:

The issue is the pressure it causes where the lower part of the cups touch your upper jaw and the upper part of the cups not sealing enough with the side of your head. If these stupid cans just added a horizontal pivot point across the cups like most headphones did, this would solve everything. It's beyond me why AT has not done this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back