Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Dec 17, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #2,027 of 2,205

Something that really bothered me about the AD1000x was that the comfort got worse. The drivers aren't angled so it's easier for them to touch your ear, and the opening in the earpad is small and circular which makes it hard to get a good seal. Loosening the clamp and getting new pads should fix this for most people, but it was still disappointing for a $300 headphone. Without these fixes, the headphone isn't comfortable at all.

I didn't loosen anything or have to change to oval pads (that part was close), what I did was carefully tweak the top loops so the drivers were angled correctly and the tension was correct for me. I suppose it may have something to do with different average head-shapes since these are made for Japanese release?

I was also wondering if anybody that changed to the deeper pads noticed any difference in bass impact, which is usually the first thing to suffer with the added distance between the driver and the ear?

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #2,028 of 2,205
If there is a given option to choose AD500X and AD700X - Is it worth to get later one ? Any Significant difference / Improvement in sound quality ?

Read / Watch most posted Review / Thread - But not sure....so asking here.

Usage will be Movies / TV Shows / Light Gaming from my PC with Fiio DAC / Creative Sound Card External / Asus Xoanr Internal....no music though.

Please let me know which one choose ?

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #2,030 of 2,205
Between the AD700x and AD900x, which has the largest soundstage? I've heard the AD900x has more bass which could sacrifice soundstage.

I think ad700x has more soundstage than ad900x.. But i prefer the ad900x because it has more bass depth and more balance than ad700x. It has more better separation and soundstage just a lil bit narrowed (just a il bit). I tried them both and ad900x give me more smile when i tried listening my fave music genre (jazz, Orchestra, instrumental, pop, rock)

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #2,031 of 2,205
I think ad700x has more soundstage than ad900x.. But i prefer the ad900x because it has more bass depth and more balance than ad700x. It has more better separation and soundstage just a lil bit narrowed (just a il bit). I tried them both and ad900x give me more smile when i tried listening my fave music genre (jazz, Orchestra, instrumental, pop, rock)

I already have a headphone for music though, the HD650. So purely for things like gaming, the AD700x would be superior? Or do you think the AD900x would be more immersive with it's extra bass?

Jan 22, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #2,033 of 2,205
  I already have a headphone for music though, the HD650. So purely for things like gaming, the AD700x would be superior? Or do you think the AD900x would be more immersive with it's extra bass?

well.. i think for gaming & movies, a little bit extra in bass will be makes things more exciting. You do need the extra effect  ambience from explosion, gun shooting, etc right? :)
i own AD900x, and already tested A to B with AD700x.
If you have more extra budget, i think u should go with  AD900x because the soundstage margin is not night and day.

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #2,035 of 2,205
I got a brand new ad900x and only had it a few days and somehow managed to bend the plug on it enough to permanently damage it, no idea how I bent it. Switched back to my Ultrasone pro 750 which I haven't been using much because I never liked them as much as the Beyerdynamic dt880 pro I used to have but sold a few years ago when I was desperate for money. Audible impressions of 750 after a few days with the comparatively luscious ad900x, Ultrasone 750 is thin (mids), flat/2-dimensional and harsh and dry/chalky. Particularly from improperly amped source like my laptop. No fun at all in comparison. Only pro is punchy bass. Which is the only way it's slightly better than the Beyer was. From aural memory, Beyer was technically better than ad900x with more extended highs and lows and very linear and coherent frequency response. Female vocals were nice but never as intimate and luscious as the ad900x. Beyer better all-arounder but never achieved the beauty of the ad900x in the mids. Beyer was comparatively lacking bloom and liquidity in that area.

I'm buying an ad1000x next week.

Apr 15, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #2,037 of 2,205
Hi guys

Anyone compared the two version of same model ?
closed and open of same model is like a comparison between the A900x and AD900x for example ......

Closed version is more fatiguing than open as listen  ?
Bass in closed version is soo different than the open version ?

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #2,038 of 2,205
I listened to the AD1000x for a while and compared them with my AD700. The AD1000X is obviously better, but by how much? Surprisingly, not a lot. Maybe I underestimated diminishing returns, but the only real differences in sound to me was the AD1000x being more forward (which supports vocals and mids), cleaner more refined treble, and superior accuracy. There might have also been a touch more bass but it's practically the same, and both are bass-light headphones anyway. If you want the best out of your music, I think it's worth the jump in price, but only if you're sure you wouldn't prefer other headphones around the same cost.

Something that really bothered me about the AD1000x was that the comfort got worse. The drivers aren't angled so it's easier for them to touch your ear, and the opening in the earpad is small and circular which makes it hard to get a good seal. Loosening the clamp and getting new pads should fix this for most people, but it was still disappointing for a $300 headphone. Without these fixes, the headphone isn't comfortable at all.

Compared to other lines of headphones, I feel like each step in the AD line isn't as big. Maybe that's why Audio-Technica makes some of the best low-price headphones around while their expensive offerings aren't that popular. I do love the R70x though.
R70x is great sie choice for people looking for neutral can but found HD600 and K712 non agreeable.

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #2,040 of 2,205
help ?
anyone ?

Owned both years ago... They are completely different sounding headphones. AD900X is clear, airy and detailed while A900X in comparison sounds closed-in and noticably less clear. However, AD900X is the more fatiguing one due to its extended and sparklier treble. A900X would make for a smoother and more relaxing listen. Bass is very different as well; the AD900X's bass is tight, punchy but rolled-off while A900X has more quantity but is bloatier and less defined.

People generally consider the AD series to be better technically than the A series.

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back