Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Oct 16, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #16 of 2,205
If ATH made a new W series flagship I'll definitely have my hands on them. Shame they didn't, I can only hope that'll happen in recent years ):

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #17 of 2,205
Interesting.  For the ad2k it looks like the wing is different, headband arc different, and the pads are less angled and more flat which should solve comfort issues.  I bet you could put the new pads on older ad cans.  Maybe this is why there are so many ad2k's up for sale in the forums.

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #18 of 2,205
Wow. the only thing holding me back from the ad700s now is that the bass probably still isn't very powerful. I'm very interested if these have at least hd598 bass and not the old tin can subwoofer sound. I would also like to add that the ad700's no longer look rediculously girly to me anymore.

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #20 of 2,205
i thought they had totally discontinued their AD line, i'm happy to know that isn't the case. also happy to see the AD700 looks significantly less [Mod Edit: Bad word choice].

EDIT: anybody know if they plan on releasing them to the US? specifically the AD1000/2000?

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #21 of 2,205
i thought they had totally discontinued their AD line, i'm happy to know that isn't the case. also happy to see the AD700 looks significantly less [offensive word removed]

In the US and EU the AD line was reduced (the AD1000 and AD2000 are still sold in Japan, but the AD700 and AD900 remain in the US and elsewhere as well). You can still get the AD1/2k from a few JDM exporters, like AudioCubes, EIFL, and PriceJapan.

Also, BAH! - I was just telling someone the other day that "AD900X" doesn't exist and you can either have A900X or AD900; well now AT has gone and changed that! :rolleyes:

First thing I'm noticing about these is that *none* of them apparently will tilt, so that likely means more fit issues for more people. *sigh*

Color me interested. Looking at the ATH-AD900x, unless the ATH-AD1000x sounds a lot better and can be found for around $350 or less (highly doubt it).

If the AD900 and AD1000 are any basis, they likely will be available around that price. And given that the current X models seemed to follow their predecessors' pricing fairly well, I think it'd be a fair wager. And of course you could always just buy the AD900 or AD1000 (again, based on the previous X models, the non-X cans should stick around for a little while, but I doubt their price will magically drop).

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #22 of 2,205
Quote:
If the AD900 and AD1000 are any basis, they likely will be available around that price. And given that the current X models seemed to follow their predecessors' pricing fairly well, I think it'd be a fair wager. And of course you could always just buy the AD900 or AD1000 (again, based on the previous X models, the non-X cans should stick around for a little while, but I doubt their price will magically drop).

Sounds good to me, and happy obob october, from the Asian anime, manga, and music lounge. 
smile.gif

IIRC the "x" models mainly offer more bass. Am I correct?

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #23 of 2,205
Sounds good to me, and happy obob october, from the Asian anime, manga, and music lounge. :smile:

:basshead:

No idea, I haven't heard an X and non-X of the same type.

If ATH made a new W series flagship I'll definitely have my hands on them. Shame they didn't, I can only hope that'll happen in recent years ):

They already released the new "X" W series, the W1000X. And there's the W3000ANV too, and talk of an ESW11. I would not be surprised to see a new ATH-W full-size in the next year or two though.

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #24 of 2,205
Very interested, I was considering the AD900 anyway, now I'll have to wait and see what's said about the x.

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #26 of 2,205
Quote:
Sounds good to me, and happy obob october, from the Asian anime, manga, and music lounge. 
smile.gif

i've heard this is the case with the "A" series (closed headphones). don't know if it will hold true on the AD "x" series. 

that would be nice though. the biggest (and in my opinion only) drawback to the AD phones is their thin sounding bass. if they managed to keep all of the good things in the AD series, like the massive lively soundstage, incredible detail resolution, and "upfront" sound, while correcting the lack off bass, it'd be a nearly perfect headphone in my opinion.

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #27 of 2,205
Quote:
Through Google translate, from what I can decipher is that they did new pads for the whole line. Something about making the 'flat' to fit the face more, but from the pictures it looks like it's slightly thicker towards the back of the ear. Also they seem to extend the 3D wings's arms a bit more. Maybe that could solve some people's problem with them sliding down their head?

That's good news the main reason why the current air line has the bass it does is the pads which hardly capture any of the bass pressure the drivers are capable off any new pads should be capable of more bass.  Be nice if someone who understood Japanese could give a more accurate translation particular in the impressions the guy leaves of how they sound.

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #28 of 2,205
Quote:
basshead.gif

No idea, I haven't heard an X and non-X of the same type.
They already released the new "X" W series, the W1000X. And there's the W3000ANV too, and talk of an ESW11. I would not be surprised to see a new ATH-W full-size in the next year or two though.

I understand they released the W1000x, but it'd be much more interesting if it was a W5000x or a W6/7000. I mean, I really want them to release a new flagship! W5000 is better than W1000X in every way, and it was released back in 2006 iirc.

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #29 of 2,205
Neat!  They look cooler now.
And with cheaper-looking, molded plugs instead!  Ah haha!

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #30 of 2,205
I understand they released the W1000x, but it'd be much more interesting if it was a W5000x or a W6/7000. I mean, I really want them to release a new flagship! W5000 is better than W1000X in every way, and it was released back in 2006 iirc.

Certainly can understand that. Have you seen the W3000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back