Audio Technica 'phones
Nov 27, 2002 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

myself, aka me

1000+ Head-Fier
Specifically, what are ATH-AD5 and ATH-A55 like?
Could you describe them? What music they like/hate?
Would an MDS-PC1 MD decks headphone out (28mW x2, 32 ohms) be suitable? If it doesn't completely work, I'd probably build an amp of some sort to suit 'em.

The reason is, my GF is going to Japan and those both cost about 7000 yen each.

I assume they'll be more than a signifcant upgrade to MDR-D22 Eggo's (which cost the same, hehe).

Thanks!
NOTE: ME = No0b, so if I have urhm.. fairly bad equipment, are they okay?
Any other 'phone I should get me GF to look out for?

Nov 27, 2002 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 18
Sorry, I can't advise you on those models, but given the wallet mortality rate to AT fever here, there may be some higher models certanly worth trying to get if they are all much cheaper over there. Particularly the new models, the A1000 and the W1000. Just a thought, have fun!

Nov 27, 2002 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 18
7000 yen, that's about $70, right?

see if your grandfather can find Beyer DT880's.

I don't know if the AD5's have the same type of pad as the AD10's, but if they do, do NOT get them. The pads suck. and since the pads suck, the sound soucks. I'm making two pairs of new pads for the AD10's. One will be regular foam, the other will be with memory foam.

Get the A900's or the A9X instead.

other good 'phones ae the Beyer DT831, Sony MDR-F1, Sony MDR-CD3000, and the AKG K1000.

of course, they may hit you with import taxes at the airport...

Nov 27, 2002 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 18
I'm limited to the 7000-8000 yen range, as i'm buying a new portable source, the Sony E710 MD player. (My E900 is pretty much useless for portable audio, skips more than primary school kids, and the R37 isn't exactly portable to start with).

BTW, I meant girlfriend
biggrin.gif

BTW #2, ATH-A1000/W1000 are like.. 33000 yen... D'oh!

The shop i'm looking at is www.yodobashi.com, but I think she might be going to Akihabara to buy HER new MD player. Therefore, theres probably more cheap 'phones there..

I think what I need, is something closed that can run and sound good (take that as the newbie meaning of good
wink.gif
) out of a MD decks headphone out, but would probably improve with a headphone amp.

Nov 27, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 18
ATH-A1000/W1000 is 33000en? Where is this?
And I have various audio-technicas, but I dont think you want to walk around with the ATH-A55
smily_headphones1.gif
Even the sleeker new ART series are...bulbous
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 18
Oh, these aren't for portable use, i've got the cheap eggos or *gasp* EX70s for that..

I think i'll explain what I wrote better..

I'm taking 28000 over there, and i've got some portable 'phones already, but I need a new portable MD as my E900 is now dead. And i'll have 8000 yen left from that, so I thought I'd get something better than my D22's for that purpose
smily_headphones1.gif

D'oh. I missed an 0. The W100 is 33,000en (
rolleyes.gif
).. W1000 is 48,000. That's more like it
biggrin.gif
sorry about that..

It's yodobashi.com.. I saw they had koss sporta and portapros, as well as KSC50s. Interesting..
KSC50 are in stock, 2480 yen.

Nov 28, 2002 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by myself, aka me
I think what I need, is something closed that can run and sound good ...

In that case the AD5s would be out of the question, since they are open rather than closed phones.

Nov 28, 2002 at 3:55 AM Post #8 of 18
holy crap this is so weird.. i asked pretty much exactly the same thing, and i live in auckland too
eek.gif

anyway my thread was here.

the a55s came with a recommendation.. and Snufkin said he'd be able to post his thoughts on the other AT phones some time this week
smily_headphones1.gif

d'you know any place in nz that sells these, or were you looking on audiocubes.com?

Nov 28, 2002 at 7:25 AM Post #9 of 18
I'm looking at yodobashi camera in Japan.. Sorry!

If you want to buy from audiocubes.com, they're reliable, although they have a giant headache from selling too many MZ-N10s (kohn said they had about 50 pre orders :| )
I bought MDR-D22 Eggos from him, it took 16 days to get to new zealand as I used a bank cheque, and a long weekend came along..
rolleyes.gif

Thanks people! No more AD5 then.

Now, I went snuffling along through this board, and found ATH-A500. I take it these are a newer AT55?

I imagine they will cost the same, so that's all cool.

I was hoping you would know a place in NZ that sells headphones.. All I know of are Sony Style and any 'phone they sell is securely locked away (the NZ$1099 MZ-N1 isn't though)
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 8:38 AM Post #12 of 18
Wow, thanks for linkies Wallijonn!

I didn't know anywhere in NZ sold *good* 'phones.. Of course they don't sell pretty Audio Technica. Still, I should probably see if I can have a listen to the HD212, it's the closest one to my maximum budget.

Besides, I want to hear what a good 'phone sounds like. Maybe HD280 pro, Perhaps i'll look sillier than LobsterSan
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 9:59 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

I didn't know anywhere in NZ sold *good* 'phones.. Of course they don't sell pretty Audio Technica. Still, I should probably see if I can have a listen to the HD212, it's the closest one to my maximum budget.

actually, i picked up my senn 212pros from audiovision here in the auckland cbd (high street), and they had pretty much the whole range of sennheiser phones hanging on the wall.

Nov 28, 2002 at 10:35 AM Post #14 of 18
See, I live in Henderson Valley, waay out west where it rains all day. And the nearest bus stop is 1/2 hour away.. and...
AudioVision aye? I'll remember the name for next time I sneak into town!

Probably still going for the AT A55s. They are far better lookers than an HD212..

Although, $143 for the 212s looks nice, for an NZ price.

Nov 28, 2002 at 1:51 PM Post #15 of 18
lol yeah the ATs are definitely sexy.

hmm i'm also leaning towards the a55 'cause of the positive comments i've read on them here.. although if someone can confirm that the a500s have a similarly smooth high end to the a55s i'd probably be inclined to go for them
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back