Audio-Technica new wood cans...ATH-W5000
Oct 19, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #212 of 289
Dayam thats ssexxay
must hab!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #213 of 289
overlunge! I too have a great love and passion with woodies! Hey! I'am a HF-1 owner! Could you let me join ?!?!?!

Oct 19, 2005 at 8:03 AM Post #214 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer
overlunge! I too have a great love and passion with woodies! Hey! I'am a HF-1 owner! Could you let me join ?!?!?!

Hehe... razar, welcome to the Team ATOWF, may the Audio Technica Woodies be with you.
biggrin.gif

Overlunge

Oct 23, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #216 of 289
Bumpin this thread because December can't get here fast enough. These are some mighty pretty cans. I've been loving my W1000's for a little while, even though they seem to get more mixed reviews here than the other AT Woodys. They suit me just fine, however if anyone wants to show me what a 'real' AT W sounds like, by say, shipping me a pair of W11jpns
wink.gif
, please feel free!

I think I need some kind of support group....or maybe a fan club?

I think ATOWF is getting a new member.
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #217 of 289
If i wasn't a member of the Ugly As Sin Cans Club I'd join in a second!

Oct 23, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #218 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkisz
Bumpin this thread because December can't get here fast enough. These are some mighty pretty cans. I've been loving my W1000's for a little while, even though they seem to get more mixed reviews here than the other AT Woodys. They suit me just fine, however if anyone wants to show me what a 'real' AT W sounds like, by say, shipping me a pair of W11jpns
wink.gif
, please feel free!

I think I need some kind of support group....or maybe a fan club?

I think ATOWF is getting a new member.
biggrin.gif

lol, welcome to the Team ATOWF, darkisz... About that W11JPN, I don't think I can help you there though
very_evil_smiley.gif
Welcome to the Woodie is the new addiction era.

Jahn, beauty is in the eyes of beholder... If you are referring to your HP1000's or your Sigma, I personally think they ROCK!

Overlunge

Oct 25, 2005 at 9:11 AM Post #219 of 289
What a beautiful headphone! It looks gorgeous. I just hope it will sound as smooth and musical as my beloved W100. Ebony can have a tendency to emphasize the frequency extremes, but at the same time it tends to sound very clear and transparent. Musically, it could -- well, it should -- be superior to the cherry wood AT have used so far. I always wondered how a W100 with higher density wood might sound like. I guess I want one of those W5000s.

Oct 25, 2005 at 9:37 AM Post #220 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomcat
What a beautiful headphone! It looks gorgeous. I just hope it will sound as smooth and musical as my beloved W100. Ebony can have a tendency to emphasize the frequency extremes, but at the same time it tends to sound very clear and transparent. Musically, it could -- well, it should -- be superior to the cherry wood AT have used so far. I always wondered how a W100 with higher density wood might sound like. I guess I want one of those W5000s.

I have heard accounts saying the Ebony wood is said to be denser to the Asadazakura which Audio Technica is currently using. Therefore it would be interesting to see the second change in housing material do to the sound of the Woodies.

2nd of Decembers is not long to go!
eek.gif

Overlunge

Oct 25, 2005 at 9:50 AM Post #221 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomcat
Ebony can have a tendency to emphasize the frequency extremes, but at the same time it tends to sound very clear and transparent.

Hey Tomcat,

I retrived some info very much along these lines from a Japanese vendor's website. It's translated by Google, so don't mind some confusing bits here and there ( esp. wonder what the term "turbidity" could mean - any ideas?). Well here goes...

AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-W5000
December 2nd in sale schedule reservation
¥ 92,000

Price \115,000 (including tax price \120,750)

" From the former ??? material to modify the material of the housing in the stripe ebony wood material, further treble quality conversion.

There is a high damping effect with adoption of the ebony wood material, controls the vibration of the housing,

It actualizes the playback sound which does not have the turbidity.

As for driver unit,

The neodymium magnet and the per men joule magnetic circuit of 53mm diameter were adopted

You adopt the design of the same machine exclusive use. "

Cheers Matthias

Oct 25, 2005 at 10:53 AM Post #222 of 289
In my view (and based on my personal experience), ebony should sound more "precise" than any type of cherry. Sonically AND cosmetically I would be most interested in Brazilian Rosewood, but that is a rare and very expensive material, or Madagascar Kingwood, but that's even rarer.

Ebony is generally much less porous (and therefore heavier) than cherry, but Macassar can be more porous than black ebony. Nevertheless, Macassar is not only beautiful but also an excellent wood for top-class musical instruments.

This guitarmaker writes about Macassar that "it gives a tight percussive sound that is unequaled by any other cosmetically beautiful wood". Cherry, on the other hand, doesn't even appear in this comprehensive list of tone woods.

Sonically I expect a lot of good things from the w5000's, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they sounded clearly better than the Leatherheads.

Here are some more pics of musical instruments made of Macassar:

stripedebony.jpg

ps5b.jpeg

Macassar%20Minstrel%20From%20Above%2096.jpg

hoffm2c_425.jpg

Oct 25, 2005 at 11:08 AM Post #224 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugano-san
Sonically I expect a lot of good things from the w5000's, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they sounded clearly better than the Leatherheads.

I guess the Connolly leather and Echizan lacquer would also influence the acoustic property of the Asadazakura housing to a degree. Just my two cents. IMHO, there's no point phantom A/B'ing the W5000 with L3000 or any other Oldie Woodies.

Overlunge

Oct 25, 2005 at 11:12 AM Post #225 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
I guess the Connolly leather and Echizan lacquer would also influence the acoustic property of the Asadazakura housing to a degree.

These factors were of course taken into account (to the extent possible) before I stated that sonically I expect a lot of good things from the w5000's, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they sounded clearly better than the Leatherheads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back