Audio Technica M50 feel so cheap
Feb 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

FinancialWar

Head-Fier
This is my first headphone and chances are it will be my only headphone. I got it because all the recommendation on the internet, but why does it peel so plastic? It does not feel like a $140 product.

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #2 of 18
I would have to disagree, I think the M50's feel very sturdy and durable..and they're light...also keep in the mind that yes, they were $140 for you, and that may be expensive for your budget. At the same time they are only $140....close to bottom of the totem pole in the big picture! Even though they do sound good :) 

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 18
That's because the M50's mainly are plastic. However, they are sturdier than they look.

They can take a bit of a bashing and still be alright. (Although I wouldn't recommend that you intentionally throw them about)

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:
This is my first headphone and chances are it will be my only headphone. I got it because all the recommendation on the internet, but why does it peel so plastic? It does not feel like a $140 product.

Not to burst your bubble, but in the audio world.. 140$ is cheap for anything really except maybe interconnects. I do agree that the ATH-50's leave a lot to be desired but for 140 bones but they are comparable to most headphones in that range. Unfortunately, that is the way of market nowadays, and you have to pay premiums to get better quality. Also, I should add that the ATH-50's are marketed for a consumer market (looks) and for portability. For headphones to be portable they need to be light, so with that being said.. not many materials are lighter than plastic. If you decide to actively browse this forum your previous statement will wane, I guarantee it.

Just the way of Head-Fi.
L3000.gif

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #5 of 18
Damnit, now I can't help but imagine Thor saying "hmm... I am thoroughly enjoying these" then throwing them down and demanding another

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 18
I think the build quality was good enough..
You're looking for metal instead of plastic?:D

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
I think the build quality was good enough..
You're looking for metal instead of plastic?
biggrin.gif

M50 is like plastic plastic, I use Thinkpad which is made of plastic but is one of the toughest laptops on the market, the plastic on my thinkpad is tough and light, the plastic on M50 feels like the plastic on toys you get at Maccas.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
The m50 are probably the most durable headphones your find  or at least one of. They are built like tanks, they do scratch and chip if you drop them but nothing major. they will survive drops and throws no problem and work for years. what was your budget? if your not happy there are plenty of headphones that are superior to them i.e shure 440/40 beyer dt770 and hm5.

Is that a fact? Or just your opinion?
evil_smiley.gif
(Just kidding)

All 3 are great headphones. But I wouldn't say either of the 3 were more "superior" than the other 2. I think it would simply come down to preference.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #12 of 18
yes, I guess you're right. I am not an audiophile by any means and M50 sounds better than anything I've used in my life. So I'll just stick with the M50 until it dies. How long do you thing it will last?  I only bought these because my Samsung Galaxy earbuds keeps on breaking.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #13 of 18
By the way, can I confirm if mine is genuine?

I bought from 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ULAP4U/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

one of the few product that amazon allow shipping to Australia.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
yes, I guess you're right. I am not an audiophile by any means and M50 sounds better than anything I've used in my life. So I'll just stick with the M50 until it dies. How long do you thing it will last?  I only bought these because my Samsung Galaxy earbuds keeps on breaking.

They'll last as long as you care for them. I have a few mates that got them when they first came into production and they still have them in perfect working order. (Perhaps they'll need the occasional ear-pad change every 5 years or so, but that's it)

Quote:
Haha well played
beerchug.gif
  My superior comment is mostly due to the the beyer having a better soundstage and comfort and cleaner presentation with the shure440 is was mostly clairty and detail but the m50 beats the shures out on bass hands down. It could prob be more classed as a flavor change instead of an ungrade to some but for me personally i would say they are an upgrade especally the beyer.

Fair play mate.
beerchug.gif

I have to admit to never actually hearing the shure440's, but like the M50's, they seem to be quite popular with overwhelming positive reviews. The M50's don't have a great open soundstage, but I think most people who just want a versatile pair of headphones that will last an age will be quite happy them.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #15 of 18
they don't feel too cheap to me, they feel durable and i've heard the same on this site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back