Audio Technica M50 ~ 50th Anniversary limited edition! *Pics inside*
Jan 29, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #32 of 44
Got them from that site. Can't wait to see them in person. Already know what they sound like as my brother got a standard pair about a month ago, and I owned the blue box version a few years back. Still one of my fave closed backs.

Jan 30, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #33 of 44
Got mine a few days ago.... Love the looks
beyersmile.png

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #34 of 44
I almost pulled the trigger on a regular pair this week, but then family emergency pulled me out of the deal.

And now I see this... It's tempting... so very tempting!

Is there any difference in sound quality vs the regular version? Or is it just a different color?

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #35 of 44
just the color i believe

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #36 of 44
Thanks for the prompt response! I'll see if I can grab them next week and do a comparison.

My dad has a regular M50 with coiled cord that I was very impressed with when I got to listen to them earlier. If the sound quality remains the same, then I think it's a perfect match.

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #37 of 44

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt response! I'll see if I can grab them next week and do a comparison.

My dad has a regular M50 with coiled cord that I was very impressed with when I got to listen to them earlier. If the sound quality remains the same, then I think it's a perfect match.

I'd think you'd want improved SQ
tongue.gif

I'm considering picking these up to be my throw-around portable set so that I don't have to carry around my easily scuffable HFI-580.
Or I might shell out the (extra) money for the Pro700MK2 (Maybe Anniversary Edition).

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #38 of 44

Quote:
I'd think you'd want improved SQ
tongue.gif

I'm considering picking these up to be my throw-around portable set so that I don't have to carry around my easily scuffable HFI-580.
Or I might shell out the (extra) money for the Pro700MK2 (Maybe Anniversary Edition).

I don't have a lot to spend on headphones now, to be honest. Around $150, I find that the M50 is a safer bet because I have listened to them.

I also audited Beyerdynamic DT770, DT880, Shure SRH940, and Sennheiser HD25-1 at the local Guitar Center, and I wasn't terribly impressed with any of them, save for the DT880, which I found to be quite good, but it was out of my budget. My dad's M50 actually sounded to me like it had more clarity and wider soundstage than the DT880. Perhaps it was merely because my setup (iPhone 4 + Fiio E7) wasn't enough to drive the higher end models. But all in all, I found the M50 to fit me best. Or to be more precise, my dad's M50.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #39 of 44

Quote:
I don't have a lot to spend on headphones now, to be honest. Around $150, I find that the M50 is a safer bet because I have listened to them.

I also audited Beyerdynamic DT770, DT880, Shure SRH940, and Sennheiser HD25-1 at the local Guitar Center, and I wasn't terribly impressed with any of them, save for the DT880, which I found to be quite good, but it was out of my budget. My dad's M50 actually sounded to me like it had more clarity and wider soundstage than the DT880. Perhaps it was merely because my setup (iPhone 4 + Fiio E7) wasn't enough to drive the higher end models. But all in all, I found the M50 to fit me best. Or to be more precise, my dad's M50.

tongue.gif
I was referring to your statement about the M50 LE sounding exactly the same as the M50's. I would think you would want the M50LE to sound better. The Pro700mk2ae sounds better than the normal Pro700mk2.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #40 of 44

Quote:

tongue.gif
I was referring to your statement about the M50 LE sounding exactly the same as the M50's. I would think you would want the M50LE to sound better. The Pro700mk2ae sounds better than the normal Pro700mk2.

Ah, my bad. I thought you meant I could get even better sound quality elsewhere.

Regarding my original statement, I meant it as in it was okay that it would sound the same. If it sounded better, that's great, but since I don't have a pair right now, I can't tell if it's better or worse. That's why I'll leave that open until I actually get the 'phones in my hands. But if there is any actual info (graphs, reviews, or comparisons) by other owners, I'd love to know.

On another side, I think I'm just trying to play it safe here. I liked the exact sound signature of my dad's M50... very much. I haven't heard better in headphones to actually know how much better it could get, so I have no idea, really. Chalk it up to my ignorance. :)

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #41 of 44
I want an acoustically upgraded M60, not a silver M50!  What.  I have high hopes for the M60 and they're silly if they're not working on one for a higher price point given the huge success of the M50. 

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #43 of 44
May 22, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #44 of 44
These are one of my favorite pair of headphones. Sound great and look nicer than the regular m50.

My buddy bought a pair of m50 and asked why mine are diffetent and have a metal badge. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back