Audio Technica L3000 pics.
Jun 22, 2005 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

GoRedwings19

Headphoneus Supremus
I recieved them yesterday and decided to share some pics. Currently have just over 30 hours on them.

15998Picture_010.jpg

15998Picture_009.jpg

The only other experience I have with the AT's is the w100's.

Jun 22, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 37
so how are they? I'm interested in what you think of them after some more playing time.

congrats on your new cans.
L3000.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 37
When I first put them on, the first thing that struck me was the midrange. Also it was so overwhelming at first. It was very forward. So I started the burn in process. It has tamed a bit now.

Because it overwhelmed the rest of the range it was difficult to guage the bass and highs. But they are already starting to bloom. The one thing with burn in is that the midrange mellows out bit more. But I want the bass to remain the same. I was listening and it sounded nice and crisp. For a high end phone it has a bit of bass impact. I don't want to lose this aspect of the phone. I find most high end phones to lack the bass impact but have good detail in the bass dept.

It's faster sounding than Grado's or senns but not as fast as Qualia's, he60's, Sa5k's etc. I quite like this pace. The listener placement is similar to Grados I find, it's more closer to the front rather than the middle or towards the back of the performance.

I am currently using a SS amp to burn them in. I will switch it to tubes when I feel enough burn in time has elapsed. Altough I have a sneaking suspicion that it will take a while.

It kinds reminds me of the Ps-1's. If you have never hear the Ps-1 or Rs-1 and first stick them on then the bass will overwhelm you. In this case it's the midrange.

There is slightly more detail over the Ps-1's. I was listening to tunes via my laptop using the l3000's. I heard a distortion and thought the drivers went belly up on me. I then plugged in the Ps-1's and when focused on it, I could barely make it out on the Ps-1's. But I could hear it on the l3000. It turns out some my ripped music have distortion of some sort.

I don't know if detail levels are affected by burn in as highs, midrange and bass are, but I prefer them not to increase or recess. I prefer it at this level.

I hate burn in....
rs1smile.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 37
Enjoy the new cans! You are becomming an Audio Technica fanboy. Have the W2002's arrived? I listened to agile_one's L3000 a few times but with the r10's on hand, I didn't pay much attention to the L3000.

Jun 22, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Enjoy the new cans! You are becomming an Audio Technica fanboy. Have the W2002's arrived? I listened to agile_one's L3000 a few times but with the r10's on hand, I didn't pay much attention to the L3000.

The w2002's are not here yet. Don't worry they should be here anyday now. Things always take a while in the EU
rs1smile.gif

I gotta be honest, I can't stand the R-10's.

Jun 22, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 37
Mike,

Give them "weeks" of burn in (seriously) The W100's took ages to "tone down"

Seriously........ forget this thread for the time being...... come back in a couple of months time.......... yes, they take that long to bed in.

Mike.

Jun 22, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #7 of 37
Hey, welcome to team leatherhead which beats team leatherface by a slight but significant margin!
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I gotta be honest, I can't stand the R-10's.

I guess you won't miss them much.
evil_smiley.gif
I know, I know, you don't have to say it. If you keep them and hate them long enough, I might have the money to buy them from you.

Which amp in your arsenal are you using for burn in? I am a burn as I listen kind of guy, so not a big deal for me.

Jun 22, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Mike,

Give them "weeks" of burn in (seriously) The W100's took ages to "tone down"

Seriously........ forget this thread for the time being...... come back in a couple of months time.......... yes, they take that long to bed in.

Mike.

I usually buy phones used as I cannot stand burn in. Whether it's physical, psychological or otherwise I just hate it.

When you mean weeks of burn in do you means something like 500 hours? This is my first AT phone I have burned in. I think I have only burnt in 4 phones ever. The rest have been used.

I still have the w100's. They are cracking little headphones.

Gpalmer>your crazy....I like you!

Tyrion>I know you like the R-10's and I respect that. but you and I know no headphone is worth their asking price. Well maybe the sr-60....
wink.gif

I use a WNA SS amp. I use this for playing the PC and watching movies. I never use tube amps for burn in.

Jun 22, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I guess you won't miss them much.
evil_smiley.gif
I know, I know, you don't have to say it. If you keep them and hate them long enough, I might have the money to buy them from you.

lol. Not if I get the money first.
tongue.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #12 of 37
person. I know what yer trying to do, meat-love. But it ain't working, and the box ain't opened yet.

I'm telling you matey, part of the appeal of woodies is that they remind me of a buxom lass. Take a look at that first pict!

(or is that buxom lasses give me woo-- er nevermind...)

Best,

-Jason

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
person. I know what yer trying to do, meat-love. But it ain't working, and the box ain't opened yet.

I'm telling you matey, part of the appeal of woodies is that they remind me of a buxom lass. Take a look at that first pict!

(or is that buxom lasses give me woo-- er nevermind...)

Best,

-Jason

I was wondering when you would show up meat bucket. My l3000's have been hot secretary endorsed. Now if you opened your l3000's then yours could be as well...then when you get your wood (
blink.gif
)...er I mean your w2002's.

Hot babes and headphones. It's a dream come true. Don't forget to post pics of your hot secretary wearing your wood...
wink.gif
rs1smile.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #14 of 37
You lucky person!
biggrin.gif

Can you compare the L3000's and the W100's if you can? I know they probably aren't in the same league judging by the price difference, but im just curious to see if the W100's sound anything at all similar to the L3000's.

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mega
You lucky person!
biggrin.gif

Can you compare the L3000's and the W100's if you can? I know they probably aren't in the same league judging by the price difference, but im just curious to see if the W100's sound anything at all similar to the L3000's.

The l3000's are currently still burning in. Disregarding price. They share a similar sonic signature or house sound I think is the term.

The main differences are detail. Even though the w100's are great for their price (@$240ish) and not the current headfi prices they always seem to lack detail. It would be easier for me to say imagine the w100's on steroids.

One thing I might add the l3000 have for me at least great bass and impact. Usually I find high end headphones have a detailed bass combined with tightness but lack the impact. The l3000 have seem to get this right. And at the risk of angering Grado fans i prefer the l3000's bass to the ps-1 bass and I'm a bass head.

I will post later on and hope other headfiers who are more knowledgeable can help out. I have only just got them so I am new to the AT headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back