Audio Technica L3000 pics.
Jun 22, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
The l3000's are currently still burning in. Disregarding price. They share a similar sonic signature or house sound I think is the term.

The main differences are detail. Even though the w100's are great for their price (@$240ish) and not the current headfi prices they always seem to lack detail. It would be easier for me to say imagine the w100's on steroids.

One thing I might add the l3000 have for me at least great bass and impact. Usually I find high end headphones have a detailed bass combined with tightness but lack the impact. The l3000 have seem to get this right. And at the risk of angering Grado fans i prefer the l3000's bass to the ps-1 bass and I'm a bass head.

I will post later on and hope other headfiers who are more knowledgeable can help out. I have only just got them so I am new to the AT headphones.

Yea, if i was a pimp i'd own apair of these in 3 colors. ; )

I like those cans, even though they arent the greatest cans to me, they are really pimp. I only heard wcmcanus's pair at a grado meet when they were unbroken in. I thought the bass was good, but thats all i remember.

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
Yea, if i was a pimp i'd own apair of these in 3 colors. ; )

I like those cans, even though they arent the greatest cans to me, they are really pimp. I only heard wcmcanus's pair at a grado meet when they were unbroken in. I thought the bass was good, but thats all i remember.

Actually I read a post by you regarding these. FWIW I can't stand the R-10's
rs1smile.gif

Biggest pile of donkey knackers I have ever heard.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Just kidding, just ruffling a few feathers amongst birdie's.

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Actually I read a post by you regarding these. FWIW I can't stand the R-10's
rs1smile.gif

Biggest pile of donkey knackers I have ever heard.
very_evil_smiley.gif

do you like them better then r10s?
Serious?

If that's the case, send them to me. I won't mind hehe.

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
do you like them better then r10s?
Serious?

If that's the case, send them to me. I won't mind hehe.

I don't think of any can better than another. Just different. It's just whether this difference matches my taste's, that's all.

Jun 22, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
Perhaps you might lend them out when they've fully burnt in
biggrin.gif

Sure Rob. I know you use to have the w2002's before so I am not sure if these would suit your taste's. Depends on how you view the w2002's. I don't have any experience of the w2002's so I am not sure what to expect. They should be here any day.

How did you find the w2002's?

DJmocok>You better give me headshots of the Rs-1's I sent you, ya meatstick...
wink.gif
rs1smile.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #24 of 37
Congrats on getting your L3000's, gotta love the smell of the Connolly leather. IIRC I think it took about 200 hours of burn in on my L3000's to sound settled in on my ears.

Jun 22, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #25 of 37
Those are beautiful cans. How does the bass response compare to PS-1's? I really like the impact with them, but it just is too big, overwhelming the rest of the music.

Jun 22, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
I wasn't that keen on the W2002 although they look great

Same here. I went through two pair before I gave up on them. Luckily, I heard a good sounding W100 that I was later able to buy, or I might have stayed completely away from Audio-Technica. L3000 is starting to develop transparency with increased playing time, but mine still have a long way to go. However, it's more like an improved W100 than an improved W2002 (IMO this is good). Too early to say much more. I think GoRedwings19's description of the sound of the L3000 at this stage is exactly right.

Jun 22, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #27 of 37
Hmmm, sounds like I might actually like the L3000 if they're really more like an improved W100, I still give myself a kick every now and then for letting mine go but then I remind myself that I wouldn't have the RS-1's if I hadn't.
rs1smile.gif

Somebody outta tell Tomcat about this, I'm quite certain he would be interested in a headphone that might be an improvement over his W100's.

Jun 22, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
***cough...headshot...cough... ****
icon10.gif

Here you go. Looking at the pics black hair and brown headphones don't go well...

15998Picture_011.jpg

I was gonna do a "billy D" style pic but I don't think I could fit them on. The l3000's ain't exactly small.

Hirsch>I am hoping the midrange recesses a little bit more. It's not as dominating as it was out of the box. There is still some way to go. But given initial impressions the bass performance is looking promising. I hope this aspect does not change.

The one thing that did worry was the heat factor because it is a closed phone. But it's not too bad considering. Last night I quickly tried out the w100's for a quick comparison. Boy were those hot.

RobN>I think I should of waited for the w2002's to arrive first and listen to them first rather than the l3000's. Just to get the overall picture on something an improvement over the w100's. Then move to the l3000's. I bought the w2002's first about two-three weeks ago as I was looking for an AT with a bit more than the w100's can give. I got the seller to send them to a headfier in Florida to try out. They are currently on the way to me. Then I was going to see how the w2002 fared I wasn't prepared to take a huge gamble and paying full retail for the l3000's from Audiocubes. But an opportunity came up.

So what was it that you did not like about the w2002's specifically. I don't know whether the l3000's would offer any discernible differences as I have not heard the w2002's.

Elnero>If you liked the w100's then the L3000's might be your cup of tea. If you didn't then you probably would hate the L3000's.

warubozu>A lot of headfiers say "love the smell of connolly leather". I gotta be honest I prefer to listen to them than sniff them
rs1smile.gif
I haven't actually "sniffed" them yet. And can someone please explain to a leather newb what's so special about the leather. Is it some sort of prestige name amongst leather freaks
blink.gif

Jun 23, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

And can someone please explain to a leather newb what's so special about the leather. Is it some sort of prestige name amongst leather freaks
blink.gif

Connolly leather was until 2002 used in most models of Jaguar, Aston Martin, Rolls Royce and Ferrari.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back