audio-technica headphone help!
Feb 28, 2003 at 6:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sillyboi

New Head-Fier
hi i was just wondering if anyone could give me some reveiws or sites to reviews about the audio technica headphones, i currently have the d66sl eggo's i bought a month ago from Audio Cubes and i am very pleased with them, but i only want to use them for street use or outdoors use... and i was browsing on the internet and i wanted to buy another pair of headphones for home use... coming to see the audio techinca's but i am uncertain about the sound quality of the A series that i am interested in... can anyone give me some personal opinions about the Audio-Technica ATH-A500 Art Headphones vs. Audio-Technica ATH-A900 Art Headphone? is it worth the extra 100USD for the a900's?

also i like to listen to rock, guitar music, and generally fast pace music.. but i do alternate alot between fast bassy music to instrumental classics... thanks alot!

Feb 28, 2003 at 9:18 AM Post #5 of 16
sillyboi
HI: One or more of our members says that the AT A900 are very close to the AT A1000 at 100.00 less money so if you can afford it I would say go with the A900. Of course I have the AT A1000 and they are the best headphones that I have ever owned. They are good for all types of music and the D.A.D.S. system really fulls out the sound and bass. The ATs are easy to drive and any amp will be just fine with them.

Feb 28, 2003 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by sillyboi
also i like to listen to rock, guitar music, and generally fast pace music.. but i do alternate alot between fast bassy music to instrumental classics... thanks alot!

The one reservation i'd have is with the treble... Depending on what else you have in your audio chain, the treble could overpower the rest of the sound, and with classical music, where midrange is all too important, that is sadly one place where the A900 lacks...

But then, whilst the A1000 gains the midrange warmth, and a slightly cooler treble that the A900s are lacking, the A1000 loses the great soundstage of the A900... which you'd probably crave for classical...

Its not an easy choice
frown.gif

Feb 28, 2003 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by sillyboi
hi i was just wondering if anyone could give me some reveiws or sites to reviews about the audio technica headphone

I owned the ATH A500s for a couple of weeks. I found them to be good value and easily driven but I ultimately prefer open headphones for sound quality.
There is some information available if you do a careful search of all categories.
Rumour has it that HeadRoom is going to sell them so you can try for 30 days. Check out the HeadRoom forum.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2003 at 11:17 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan

Its not an easy choice
frown.gif

It never is.
biggrin.gif

I have the 900s (I've never heard the 1000s) and recommend them highly. They are a bit recessed in the midrange, but the extra-wide soundstage and great instrumental placement more than makes up for it. They are extremely comfortable, too.

Mar 1, 2003 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 16
oh wow thanks for the replies guys and the links to the a500's but i was thinking more about getting the a900's but i wasn't sure if the quality of the a900's was worth the price....

Mar 1, 2003 at 2:03 AM Post #12 of 16
oh wow thanks for the replies guys and the links to the a500's but i was thinking more about getting the a900's but i wasn't sure if the quality of the a900's was worth the price....

Mar 1, 2003 at 2:20 AM Post #13 of 16
also would it be wise to get the a1000's if i am just using an ipod as an source straight out? with no amp i mean... would it be wiser to get the a900's?

also.... i think tmr or the day after my friend is going to take me to a place to listen to the orpheus.... so should i expect my hearing be wrecked forever by listening to something i can never afford?! =/

Mar 1, 2003 at 4:38 AM Post #14 of 16
In a word, no. Unless you intend to use higher resolution sources than MP3 you will be better off with the lower end cans. Better headphones will highlight the shortcomings of the compressed format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back