Audio-Technica ES7 or Sennheiser HD25 II?
Sep 28, 2008 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Trifid

New Head-Fier
I want to order one of these tonight to go with a 120GB Zune.

Just a couple of things to bear in mind, they must be suitable for public transport so not to annoy others around me. I listen to a lot of Post Rock (Sigur Ros) and classical (usually piano sonata's and symphonies) as well as bands like Radiohead and Air.

I would appreciate comments as well as votes for one or the other.

The 2 items in question:
Play.com (UK) : Sennheiser HD 25 Headphones : Electronics - Free Delivery

AUDIO-TECHNICA - ATH-ES7 HiFi Headset - black: Electronics & Photo: Amazon.co.uk (would rather buy from a reputable online store direct though).

Thanks.

Sep 28, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 16
Haha, that really isn't a fair cometition
wink.gif
The HD25-II is considered an upgrade from the ATH-ES7!

Sep 29, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, that really isn't a fair cometition
wink.gif
The HD25-II is considered an upgrade from the ATH-ES7!

Exactly. HD25's the better phone from the technical point of view.

m00h

Sep 29, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 16
I've owned both and would choose the HD25. They sound better and isolate MUCH better than the ES7s.

Oct 18, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 16
well i have the hd25... never heard the ES7, but in my view, the hd25 is the only headphone ive bought that i would NEVER consider selling

Oct 18, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 16
also funny to note at the time of this post: 9 ppl voted for ES7, only 6 voted for HD25, yet all 4 replies were in favor of the hd25... haha strange

Oct 19, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 16
a bit off topic but, whats the difference with the HD25 II vs the normal HD25, i've heard theres a cheapened down version of it?

Oct 19, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...] in my view, the hd25 is the only headphone ive bought that i would NEVER consider selling

I have to agree with that.

For public transportation I wouldn't use any phone that has got less isolation than HD25.
There are two points for ES7: Price and Look.
But given the better SQ and isolation of HD25 I don't think the ES7's (not so much) lower price makes sense.
Look: If you like the shiny cups then you will prefer the ES7 over HD25. But the HD25's look isn't that bad, people have said about my HD25 "oh, I love them" and they haven't even heard them! :wink:

Regards,
Jonas

Oct 19, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #9 of 16
Which 25s are we talking about here? HD25SPII ($112 from Amazon)? HD25-1II ($188 from Amazon)? I haven't voted because I haven't heard either Sennheiser, but when I checked Amazon to read about it there was more than one model. Just curious.

Mooch

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #11 of 16
the link the OP posts about the hd25 has a split band design in the picture at the website... a sign for the hd25-1 indeed

Nov 30, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #13 of 16
Hahaha, I have been trying to find information on this exact topic! I want portable, high quality headphones that isolate sound and the two pairs I came down to were the ES7 and the senn hd 25-1 II !! Anyway, I think I am about to get the Senns after all the great comments.

Will the HD 25-1 II benefit from an amp (I just ordered the ibasso D2 Boa)?

And, like someone else said, what is the difference between the HD 25 and the HD 25-1 II?

Thanks for the thread!

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #14 of 16
bump

what is the difference?
is it good unamped?

I was considering the es-7 but seems the HD25 has better sound isolation and seems to have about the same sound qlty

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #15 of 16
I am possibly reaching the conclusion than my 2 year old HD25-1s (70ohm, 650 cable, velour pads... not the SP!)... **amped**, may be all I really need for anything other than very occasional critical listening/jazz/classical. They have a unique set of attributes, at least in my setup

- enough detail for good recordings to sound real - esp. drums
- pretty decent comfort really, once well work-in
- portable & nearly indestructable
- punchy down low & lively-ish up top for anything rock
- won't generally make poorly mastered recording sound unlistenable (e.g. Hard Fi)

Vocals could be better sometimes but as a previous poster said, I can't see them being sold.

To the amp question.. IMHO, pretty much all dynamic cans and ears will sound better out via line out/decent amp. The Slee voyager renders HD25 solid and balanced... the Slee Solo (not SRG) can really make them sing (RHCP "Funky Monk").

Enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back