Audio Technica ES7, Audio Technica A900, Denon D1000, or Sennheiser HD-25
Jul 21, 2008 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kovalchuk71

New Head-Fier
So, due to my price point, ive narrowed it down to these phones. Looking for something with decent bass as I listen to Rock, Rap and Techno mostly. I am also looking for good isolation from the outside world, while still being comfortable to wear around college campus. What would you guys reccomend?

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #2 of 6

Oya?

500+ Head-Fier
I'd be lying if I said my HD25-1 was comfortable. But I can and do wear them for hours at a time with no real trouble. These are probably the least comfortable out of your choices, but they do sound great, so consider how important comfort is to you. Also great isolation, which obviously comes at the cost of a stronger clamp.

Jul 21, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 6

richierich

500+ Head-Fier
fullsize headphones won't give enough isolation still. For best isolation you're going to have to go with an IEM or earbud.

Jul 21, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #5 of 6

gz76

1000+ Head-Fier
Personally, I don't have a comfort issue with the HD25-1s -- it might have something to do with head size/shape. I strongly recommend these headphones as a versatile, robust, set of headphones. I've been using mine for roughly seven years and I still love 'em. They work great out of an iPod without amplification, however they do get better with a portable amp when funds allow. If you like the Sennheiser sound, then go for these. I haven't heard your other considerations tho, so can't really comment on any of them.

Jul 21, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 6

3X0

Headphoneus Supremus
ATH-ES7 will give you a very enjoyable sound signature that performs favorably on all of your mentioned genres. It is fairly comfortable and isolates well enough. The A900 has the widest soundstage of your choices, and performs well in rap and techno but the midrange may be lacking for rock. It is very comfortable and its isolation is slightly inferior to the ES7 due to the absence of a true clamping force. The Denon D1000 will offer the most comfort but least isolation and offer a more relaxed presentation than the ATH-ES7. The HD25-1 is fantastic for rock and techno, but I would find it lacking for rap; it is a more analytical and critical alternative to the ATH-ES7. It will offer a good deal of isolation at the expense of comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread