Audio Technica ES10 and Sony Z1000, which one to get?
May 26, 2011 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Ra97oR

CanJam London 2016 Karting Champion
Looking for some portable headphones, as much as I loved the Edition 8 I still can't justify the price for it using as a portable as I am only looking for one used outside. I have heard the ES10, easily one of the best portable I have heard, up there with the Edition for sure.

Now, the thing is Sony launched their new Z1000, which I haven't got a chance to listen to myself. So I wonder if anyone have experience with both headphones first hand?

May 26, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 14
There cannot be many people who have heard both.

I can say you wouldn't be disappointed with the ES10 especially if you've already had a taste and liked it! It's definitely my favourite portable.

May 26, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 14
Never thought of that comparison. A very, very intriguing one. Probably a long shot but hopefully someone will have had them both.

May 26, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #4 of 14
Considering the costs of owning both and practicality it might be difficult to find someone who has both. Well you know which one I have when you look at my avatar :p

I hope Joker gets the chance to review both for comparison though

May 28, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 14
I have had the opportunity to audition both (ATH-ES10 in Singapore and Z1000 in Hong Kong).

Personally, I would go for the Sony Z1000.

The Z1000 is more comfortable on the head than ES10. But as ES10 is foldable, it is the more portable cans.
The Z1000 is more solidly built than ES10 as it does not have any turnable hinges that might get loose with time.
The Z1000 isolates slightly better as the whole ear is covered by the pads, thereby forming a chamber. The ES10 merely clamps on the outer ears.

The general difference between Z1000 and ES10 is that the ES10 is the bassier cans of the 2.

Bass
Z1000 has lesser bass quantity than ES10. BUT. To me, Z1000 has the better quality bass. The decay is just nice, not too quick nor does it linger too long. The texture and detail is also better to me on Z1000.

Mids
The Z1000 is slightly warm, but generally still neutral. Female vocals sound so full and sweet on the Z1000. The ES10 on the other hand sounds more dynamic when compared to the Z1000. The mids are full bodied, and slightly more forward than Z1000.

Treble
Z1000 has a very easy-on-the-ear and inoffensive treble. Comparing the 2, Z1000's treble extends slightly further. Both sound equally smooth. ES10's treble might not sound so prominent due to its powerful bass.

In conclusion, the choice of Z1000 or ES10 depends on the genre of music that you listen to. Z1000 has the mellower and more romantic sound signature that suits Jazz and Vocals so well, while the ES10 is more suited for genres like R&B and Rock. Hope my 2 cents helps.

Cheers
Joe

May 28, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 14
Mmm... You might want to compare the ES10 to the Ed8 again :) But then again, it depends on the gear you're listening to them with~

Just didn't want anyone thinking the Ed8's level's at that of the ES10 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Looking for some portable headphones, as much as I loved the Edition 8 I still can't justify the price for it using as a portable as I am only looking for one used outside. I have heard the ES10, easily one of the best portable I have heard, up there with the Edition for sure.

Now, the thing is Sony launched their new Z1000, which I haven't got a chance to listen to myself. So I wonder if anyone have experience with both headphones first hand?

May 29, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 14
Mmm... You might want to compare the ES10 to the Ed8 again :) But then again, it depends on the gear you're listening to them with~

wink_face.gif

They are on a different price level, but sound level purely using a portable setup is around the same, save the signature difference. Edition on my full size amp sounds great but I am buying purely on portable factor, the Edtion simply wouldn't get much use at home so its not a factor to consider right now. I am yet to listen to the ES10 on full size too, so not sure how much will it scale.

May 29, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #9 of 14
Well i beg to differ as there was already a noticeable difference on my old ipod -> lod -> amp setup. Anyway back to the topic :)

wink_face.gif

They are on a different price level, but sound level purely using a portable setup is around the same, save the signature difference. Edition on my full size amp sounds great but I am buying purely on portable factor, the Edtion simply wouldn't get much use at home so its not a factor to consider right now. I am yet to listen to the ES10 on full size too, so not sure how much will it scale.

May 29, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #11 of 14
iBasso D2+, the difference is small enough to ignore on portable application, and the difference in sound signature kinda makes it impossible to get a good look. They are both on the "portable cans sounds like top tier full size headphones" group. I did say purely portable use, that means less than idle listening situations, i.e. streets, trains, buses, coffee shops. Don't assume higher price automatically means higher quality outright, well, Edition 8 sounds pretty good for its price. But some headphones just does not warrant their price tags, certain Grados, Ultrasone, Sennheisers are main offenders. I am flame proof so just flame away if wanted.

Almost forgotten, thanks for your impression on both Z1000 and ES10. Its helpful.

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #13 of 14
I didnt try Sony..but ATH ES10 are definitely amazing headphones..Sound is just amazing,specially if you are basshead like me,or better say if you listen to electronica..
I bougt before ES10 bowers & wilkins p5,but that was probably worst choice ever,specially for electronica.. they call them neutral bass headphones,but to me there was no bass.Just flat boring sound..  ES10 is just completely different league..

Apr 30, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
There cannot be many people who have heard both.

I can say you wouldn't be disappointed with the ES10 especially if you've already had a taste and liked it! It's definitely my favourite portable.

i see you own the Pro900, the es10, and the HD25... how would you describe the ES10 and the Pro900 compared to the HD25, I'm looking for some nice thumping bass. Which is most powerful in terms of bass the Pro900 or the ES10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back