audio-technica ec7 cord problem :(
Mar 16, 2006 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sa1nt

New Head-Fier
hello, everyone!
i've bought myself a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-EC7 about 2.5 months ago. i've found them on ebay from a shop called "whsle_biz" for about 70 US Dollars (43 UK Pounds, to be correct
smily_headphones1.gif
)

and suddenly the cord began to tear right next to the place where one solid cord with the jack transforms into two smaller ones with headphones themselves. (look at the photo).

so i'm just asking everyone who also has the ATH-EC7 to post photos of them where this point can be seen, because i've seen some photos where it's made of metal (along with the 3.5mm jack - something like sony qualia MDR-EXQ1 seen here: Sony MDR-EXQ1).
this would make me sure that mine phones are fake, and i still can trust to the Audio-Technica build quality
smily_headphones1.gif

oh, and it would be really nice if someone could give an advice how to fix this (at least temporarily) thanks in advance!

PS i don't have my camera right now, so it's still undamaged on the photo.
PPS it's my first post here, so sorry if i've any mistakes here. thanks!
icon10.gif

photos:
photo1
photo2

Mar 16, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 7
I don't have a photo to post, but mine look just like yours. I also got mine on ebay from a guy in Edmonton who said that he bought them at an Audio-Technica store in Japan (so he assures me they are not fake).

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 7
Most of the large Audio Technica sellers on eBay sell fakes or factory seconds no matter what they tell you, the only ones that I trust are the sellers who are selling them for themselves and not in large quantities and can provide proof they are authentic, I've tried the ones from ebay and they can't compare to the real thing, my eBay CM7s had both drivers dead by the end of the month whereas my authentic Cm7s are running without problems (well I had one driver die on me on one) since October last year.

Mar 16, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 7
thanks for the replies!
btw, skyline889. do your original cm7 and fake ones have any visual differences? and, if it's not a secret, where did you buy the original ones?
rolleyes.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 7
The eBay CM7s don't look physically different from the real ones I have, I bought four ATH-CM7 SVs from a store in Akihabara when me and my family went to Japan last October, they were $95 each not including duties when I came back to the states, this was before I joined Head-fi too
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Two I keep as extras, the one that had the one driver blow out got sold, and one I use for daily use.

Mar 18, 2006 at 9:49 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the replies, guys! Now I'm still confident in the AT build & sound quality.

guess I'll have to start saving money for the "AT Headphone Trip" to Japan.
orphsmile.gif
maybe it's a nice thing that I study japanese at the university
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back