Audio-Technica Comparison A700 & AD700 or A900 & AD900 (Poll)
Nov 4, 2008 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

audioqueso

100+ Head-Fier
Which two does should I compare?
My test will include:
- Panasonic portable CD player without amp
- Laptop with Turtle Beach micro playing FLAC/APE files

I will do an extensive comparison of the two pairs on the first day, let them burn in for 100 hours, and then do a comparison again. I will keep the headphones that I like the best (I'm going for a smooth liquid top end), and sell the other one for, say $20-30 off from the price + shipping (since I've used them for a few hours). Sound fair?

AD900 $240
A900 $170
A700 $140
AD700 $140

So basically, the poll will determine which pairs I should buy. For example, if everyone wants a comparison between the A900 vs AD900 with no amp and my sources, then I will buy those, I will listen and compare, and then keep the one I like the best.

Anyone interested?

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 15
I can't help much regarding stock A900, but want to note that I have a pair of A900 that -=germania=- installed a silver plated copper cable and did internal bass dampening like markl does for Denon.

These A900 sound better than a $600 pair of Darth Beyer V3 Ebony or a $285 pair of ALO SXC recabled ATH-SQ5, and almost as good as my APS V2 cabled Denon D2000. The modded A900 would probably cost about $300 vs $450 for new D2000 with APS cable, so that is impressive. And, they work great without an amp, assuming the source is good enough.

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 15
That would be hard to do. My first A500's got the cable ripped inside the headphone, and that was so impossible to fix. It's too too hard to reach. Wow, he's really good to be able to mod that.

So what does everyone think? Would you guys like me to either both 700's or 900's to compare and review? Anyone willing to buy the other after 5 days of use at a discounted price?

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioqueso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be hard to do. My first A500's got the cable ripped inside the headphone, and that was so impossible to fix. It's too too hard to reach. Wow, he's really good to be able to mod that.

So what does everyone thing? Would you guys like me to either both 700's or 900's to compare and review? Anyone willing to buy the other after 5 days of use at a discounted price?

-=Germania=- is a She.
tongue.gif

I have enough headphones, so I don't need your spares, sorry.

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioqueso /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So what does everyone thing? Would you guys like me to either both 700's or 900's to compare and review? Anyone willing to buy the other after 5 days of use at a discounted price?

How much of a discount?
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 15
About $20-30 off since they will be used for 5 days. Actually, it will be listening on Day 1, let them burn in for 100 hours, and then listen to them again on Day 5. Actually usage will be about 5 hours total with 100 hours of burn-in.

AD900 $240
A900 $170
A700 $140
AD700 $140

Nov 6, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #8 of 15
Getting to the driver inside the A900 is a pain since you have to separate the driver/cup assembly to 4 pieces and the cable has to fit through this specific hole size (unless you mod it with a dremel
very_evil_smiley.gif
). In all seriousness, you need a fairly good set of screwdrivers to do it.

Headphone Addict, the way the mod is done is actually just "markl inspired" and uses completely different materials (including a felt I make from some acoustic damping fluff).

I might send you these modded CD1000's to try out at some point. They have a totally different set of mods. I hope you don't have a problem with lambskin as I am halfway done with my full lambskin coverings (including pads and all previously synthetic surfaces).

Nov 6, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 15
Id say if you can, Buy the AD900. One of the best pair of cans out there. Especially since it seems you want better high ends.

If you wanna upgrade to a pair of A700s let me know. I havent used my pair for the longest time and would be willing to sell them to you.

Nov 6, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Getting to the driver inside the A900 is a pain since you have to separate the driver/cup assembly to 4 pieces and the cable has to fit through this specific hole size.

Germania, I know what you mean. I had one of the cups of my first set of A500's turn more about 90 degrees, and the cable inside the cup snapped off. I opened it up in hopes of fixing it, but there was no way I could fit anything inside.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shingetsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Id say if you can, Buy the AD900. One of the best pair of cans out there. Especially since it seems you want better high ends.

Well Shingetsu (New Moon?
smile.gif
Why that name?), I was already thinking about the A900, but I figured I'd first ask everyone what better fits me with my source and no amp, 700 or 900. And whichever everyone picked, I just figured buying both open and closed to compare would be something that everyone would appreciate. Of course, I don't have to do it. But if someone wants to buy one for a discount, then I don't mind doing it.

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #11 of 15
Lol meh, i like new moons. full moons are cool too but its easier to see the stars during new moons.

If you really intend to go unamped i would go with the open backed cans. The A700s how ever dont really need alot of juice and my ipod and ipod touch drive it just fine.

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #12 of 15
Yes, I tried out iBasso's D2 Boa amp, but could barely hear a difference after 100+ burn-in with my A500's. I have another thread talking about it. So yes, I decided not to go the amp route.

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #15 of 15
Why would I want to compare A900 vs AD700? Please read the original post.

Shingatsu,
The isolation and leakage properties are not of importance. It's sound quality only for home. The thing I'm going for the most is a smooth top end. I want to be able to hear a woman's voice sound silky. I'm just trying to find out, which series should I go for considering my sources and no amp. Thanks Shingatsu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back