Audio Technica CK100 PRO! ATH-W3000ANV!
Oct 16, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #17 of 63
I'm a bit surprised by the lack of interest in the ATH-ES88, especially with how popular the ES7s once were. The design is a bit curious, and I'm somewhat concerned about the slightly higher MSRP (which seems to be reflected in the model name), but I look forward to impressions as they become available.

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #18 of 63
maybe if the ck100 pros were affordable...  maybe it'll cause the ck100s to drop in price?

Oct 17, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #19 of 63

Quote:
I'm a bit surprised by the lack of interest in the ATH-ES88, especially with how popular the ES7s once were. The design is a bit curious, and I'm somewhat concerned about the slightly higher MSRP (which seems to be reflected in the model name), but I look forward to impressions as they become available.

They look great. If the price is right and compares well with the ES7, I may consider a pair.

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #22 of 63

Quote:
Damn, the wood on the W3000ANV is beautiful, almost the best-looking AT woodie if not for the 2002.

The cable connectors on the CK100PRO don't look very secure, the look like they'd get accidentally disconnected a lot.

Agreed and duly noted. When I bought my HJE900 it disconnected a lot and eventually I lost one of the monitor. I honestly didn't care, since I never really liked HJE900 and it was only 80 bucks. 

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #23 of 63
I was going to purchase the ck100 last week but i chose to postpone it because i was busy. Which works out great, i'm guessing they are going to lower the price for the ck100. The new ck100 pro sounds interesting but seems it will be difficult to fit my ears. Don't know what to get now so many new IEM's coming out. The new Sony BA phones are coming out in November as well
normal_smile .gif

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #24 of 63
So it's been a few days since the announcement of the ATH-CK100Pro and ATH-CKW1000 (limited woodies version of the CKM1000), although I have already posted some of these information below in one of my local community forums (HardwareZone) that Randius and I are both regulars of, I thought it wouldn't harm to post a translation copy of the japanese article reported by AV Watch Impress below, as there was a very vague listening impressions shared by the japanese reporter done on-site at Audio-technica's press event last week, of their latest CK100Pro universal IEM flagship.

Definitely very nice to finally see an updated successor to their currently flagship CK100 IEM model after 3yrs. Ironically the ATH-CK100 was actually introduced back during Nov 2008, so to actually set the actual release date on the Nov 18th this yr, I suppose in a certain way it's also to commemorate the success of the previous CK100. :)

I would also like to add-on something observed from reading the related japanese articles coverages of the upcoming CK100pro. According to the press media this model although is again based on a triple-driver armature design (I can see many who's looking forward to a Quad sighing now), the cross-over design implementation is actually based on a true 3-way design now, to cover the whole frequency spectrum range. If you actually check AT's product webpage for ATH-CK100, it's stated pretty clearly on their website that the CK100 uses a 2-way cross-over, 3-driver design. So apart from the removable cables, this is considered quite a substantial change/improvement IMHO though of course it still remains to be seen/heard how the overall sound sig has being improved upon, so I guess I will have to buy and listen for myself.

The event reporter at the event did mentioned from his on-site listening impressions, that the overall sound from the CK100pro does sound pretty natural and has a wide dynamic range in its overall presentation, and lower-end frequencies doesn't seem to engulf/swallow over the other frequency range, and he personally feels that this is a serious BA universal monitor that can also be used for reference monitoring since it has a monitor-like balanced sound signature as well. (his comments doesn't surprise to me considering it has the 'Pro' denotation for it's product name, meaning it can be used for professional monitoring usage)

Sounds like according to the event reporter's vague listening impressions, this could be an overall "balanced" sounding IEM similar like Westone's very own UM3x or W4, meaning it won't be a mid-centric focused IEM anymore like the previous CK100. I'm still quite interested in its sound presentation though, wondering whether it has a clinical/analytical approach, or is it just an improved ver over CK100's sound traits.

Hopefully I will be able to buy it from JP and give you guys a short review before X'mas this yr, as I'm quite interested myself to A/B it against my own pair of CK100, and see where the CK100pro's sound direction is heading towards. We definitely have some pretty interesting times ahead of us, as there seems to be a surge of new and upcoming BA universal monitors coming out over the next few mths, like the Sony's upcoming multi-armature XBA series as well.

By the way, unveiled at the same event earlier today was also a wooden-LE edition of the CKM1000 model, to commemorate Audio-technica's 50th anniversary which is next year in 2012. The wooden-LE edition will be known as the CKW1000ANV, and only 2500 sets will be made available for retail sale. So I suppose for those wood-lovers, time to save up and try procure one when it's out? (perhaps it might prove to be a good competitor to the JVC FX700s?)

More pictures below.

ATH-CK100pro
p2Gb5.jpg

9dE3F.jpg

Overall cabling design remains the same as CK100. I don't quite agree with what FatalethaL (a forum member on HardwareZone) had commented saying that the CK100pro has thin cables as from what I had observed it remains largely the same as CK100, from the Y-split cord part down it's still based on a thicker dual-design as you can see in the first pic I uploaded above, and so far in terms for CK100 there's actually not much cable problems being shared by existing owners including myself, as it's fundamentally a much robust cabling design compared to the CK10/CK90pro, even for the housing strain relief part.

The removable cables design is obviously quite a welcome change for many ppl I believe, though I personally think from observing the implemented wiring design Audio-technica is making this IEM model more of a worn over-the-ears design, rather than straight down for it's previous flagship CK100. (meaning it will look quite ugly when worn normally down, as seen in the 2nd pic above)

The FR specifications for the CK100Pro has remained largely the same, although the impedance rating has being increased.

• Driver Technology: 3-way, 3-driver Balanced-armature Design
  • SPL sensitivity: 109dB/mW
  • Frequency range: 20Hz ~ 18kHz
  • Impedance rating: 39ohm (compared to 23ohm on ATH-CK100)
  • Weight: around 9grams
  • Cable Length: 1.2m (similar cord length as ATH-CK100)

CKW1000ANV Limited Edition (wooden ver. design of CKM1000, driver diaphragm design remains the same)
BfVWd.jpg

ObwRR.jpg

YD7OS.jpg

• Driver Technology: 14mm Dynamic Transducer
  • SPL sensitivity: 103dB/mW
  • Frequency range: 5Hz ~ 30kHz
  • Impedance rating: 17ohm
  • Weight: around 11grams
  • Cable Length: 0.6m

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #25 of 63
Agreed and duly noted. When I bought my HJE900 it disconnected a lot and eventually I lost one of the monitor. I honestly didn't care, since I never really liked HJE900 and it was only 80 bucks. 

We will see about that when my own pair of CK100Pro arrives. If there's one definite thing I'm confident of when using Audio-technica headphones/IEM products, it is their cables quality as it has been shared before quite long ago that Audio-technica actually procures their cabling materials from Korea, meaning its IEM cables are made in Korea. So at least their cables are not made in China, which for example alot of Sony IEM cables are manufactured in China (even for their current EX600/EX1000 models as well as my EX800ST), and personally Sony has given me alot of cable problems in the past especially with their older NUDE EX monitor models.

If it helps matters to boost confidence, my existing 3-years old ATH-CK9 model (Audio-technica's first BA model) has withstood the test of time and various tortures within these 3 years ever since I bought it in Summer of 2008, and even up till now the cabling as well as the drivers are still functioning well and I didn't even baby it much back then, though I suppose it's because I have a good practice of not coiling up the IEM cables around my DAP, instead I use a 3-fingers length to coil up the cables properly and always put it away into my personal carrying pouch after every usage. :xf_eek:

I was going to purchase the ck100 last week but i chose to postpone it because i was busy. Which works out great, i'm guessing they are going to lower the price for the ck100. The new ck100 pro sounds interesting but seems it will be difficult to fit my ears. Don't know what to get now so many new IEM's coming out. The new Sony BA phones are coming out in November as well
normal_smile .gif

Hey Love Music, it's been awhile! I'm glad to hear that our previous conversation exchange a few weeks back has managed to convince you to grab a pair of CK100s! Actually according to my personal observations these couple mths, Kakaku.com has already shown a 2000-3000 yen price drop for the CK100s, at least for the well-known electronic chain stores in Japan. However I'm not too sure if Seyo-shop will be reducing their prices, considering these are 'exporter shops' catered for international customers, so I seriously doubt they will be adjusting their prices much, unless you are getting your pair directly from major japanese electronic chain stores such as Yodobashi, Amazon or Sofmap in Japan.

I have already decided awhile back I will be purchasing my pair later in December, and since I do understand that both of us share quite abit of listening tastes/genres with each other, I will be sure to do up an A/B comparison between the CK100 and CK100Pros using the Asian artists I'm familiar with and a proper review of the CK100Pros here on Head-fi, once I receive my pair. Cheers bro! :D

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #26 of 63
Some info I dig up:

ATH-CKW1000ANV, priced around $600 with wood + titanium housing, a specially developed 14mm dynamic transducer and limited to only 2500 pairs worldwide.
ATH-CKM1000, priced around US$520 with aluminum + titanium housing and another specially developed 14mm dynamic transducer.
ATH-CK100PRO, priced around US$650 with titanium housing, triple balanced armature transducer, horn-nozzle design and removable cable.
ATH-CK90PRO MK2, priced at US$260 with horn-nozzle design, presumably the follow up model of the original CK90PRO.

Price quote are all referenced to Japanese market, expect to add a hundred or two when they went international, i.e. some news site report CK100Pro is going for as much as US$850 oversea.

Also, the connector used on CK100PRO looks very similar to the type used by Shure (the snap-in type). I really hope AT won't face the same connector issue as Shure has.

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #27 of 63

Quote:
We will see about that when my own pair of CK100Pro arrives. If there's one definite thing I'm confident of when using Audio-technica headphones/IEM products, it is their cables quality as it has been shared before quite long ago that Audio-technica actually procures their cabling materials from Korea, meaning its IEM cables are made in Korea. So at least their cables are not made in China, which for example alot of Sony IEM cables are manufactured in China (even for their current EX600/EX1000 models as well as my EX800ST), and personally Sony has given me alot of cable problems in the past especially with their older NUDE EX monitor models.
If it helps matters to boost confidence, my existing 3-years old ATH-CK9 model (Audio-technica's first BA model) has withstood the test of time and various tortures within these 3 years ever since I bought it in Summer of 2008, and even up till now the cabling as well as the drivers are still functioning well and I didn't even baby it much back then, though I suppose it's because I have a good practice of not coiling up the IEM cables around my DAP, instead I use a 3-fingers length to coil up the cables properly and always put it away into my personal carrying pouch after every usage.
redface.gif

Hey Love Music, it's been awhile! I'm glad to hear that our previous conversation exchange a few weeks back has managed to convince you to grab a pair of CK100s! Actually according to my personal observations these couple mths, Kakaku.com has already shown a 2000-3000 yen price drop for the CK100s, at least for the well-known electronic chain stores in Japan. However I'm not too sure if Seyo-shop will be reducing their prices, considering these are 'exporter shops' catered for international customers, so I seriously doubt they will be adjusting their prices much, unless you are getting your pair directly from major japanese electronic chain stores such as Yodobashi, Amazon or Sofmap in Japan.
I have already decided awhile back I will be purchasing my pair later in December, and since I do understand that both of us share quite abit of listening tastes/genres with each other, I will be sure to do up an A/B comparison between the CK100 and CK100Pros using the Asian artists I'm familiar with and a proper review of the CK100Pros here on Head-fi, once I receive my pair. Cheers bro!
biggrin.gif

Hey Haonan,

Yeah your review on the ck100 was just too tempting
regular_smile .gif

Looking forward to your impressions of the ck100 pros
popcorn.gif

Take care my friend. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #29 of 63

Quote:
If it helps matters to boost confidence, my existing 3-years old ATH-CK9 model (Audio-technica's first BA model) has withstood the test of time and various tortures within these 3 years ever since I bought it in Summer of 2008, and even up till now the cabling as well as the drivers are still functioning well and I didn't even baby it much back then, though I suppose it's because I have a good practice of not coiling up the IEM cables around my DAP, instead I use a 3-fingers length to coil up the cables properly and always put it away into my personal carrying pouch after every usage.
redface.gif

I have already decided awhile back I will be purchasing my pair later in December, and since I do understand that both of us share quite abit of listening tastes/genres with each other, I will be sure to do up an A/B comparison between the CK100 and CK100Pros using the Asian artists I'm familiar with and a proper review of the CK100Pros here on Head-fi, once I receive my pair. Cheers bro!
biggrin.gif

Very interesting read, didn't know AT cable were manufactured in my home country.

The connectors looks really fragile though, that being said we won't know till we get the actual product in our hands. But I agree about AT's superb cables. Love my CK10 and CK100's cables. Just not digging CK10's housings, since I got it replaced two times already, good thing the warranty covered it. (The metal-circular part is just glued and it will come off at one point or another. But I have to admit, I think CK10 actually sounds a lot better with exposed drivers.)

That being said, I hope accessoryjack or bluetin get's CK100Pro since I normally order from there.

I don't mind my EX1000 cable, I actually find it quite good.

Quote:

Hmm, CK100Pro or Sony XBA-3?

Not a difficult decision.

I am getting both CK100 Pro and XBA-4. Can't wait. ​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back