Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Apr 13, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #16 of 1,365
Yep the Clears are 50% off here, so it's a bit painful buying the WP900 at full price.
That would make the decision that much more difficult. I just sold my Focal Clears as I could detect some issues in the midrange that I didn't like. I thought the Clears could replace my Utopia's after I sold thrm. But the difference between the two are very audible. In contrast, some of Audio-Technica headphones may be a little bass light but they have some of the cleanest , most balanced midranges I've heard.

The WP900 has my interest as a portable headphone, now that I have just sold my AP2000Ti's. With those, I just refused to take them out of the house. I did not want to scratch those Titanium cups. The WP900's wooden cups simply look beautiful and the headphone overall seems to made for portable use. Now, I just need to see how they sound.

Apr 14, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #17 of 1,365
I received the WP900 today, listening as I speak with SP1000M. Straight out of the box they sound very nice. If it only get's better from here these will be a favorite.
Surprisingly balanced, nice imaging, lush and engaging vocals that are center stage, smooth bass with nice texture, fairly tight maybe not the deepest but enough for my tastes.
Treble has a slightly metallic tinge, but it's only very slight and not disturbing, just creates more energy and suits pop music very well.

I'm also interested to see how it sounds in balanced with Sony ZX507, if it adds more bass slam and smooths over the highs it will be a perfect pairing.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #18 of 1,365
I received the WP900 today, listening as I speak with SP1000M. Straight out of the box they sound very nice. If it only get's better from here these will be a favorite.
Surprisingly balanced, nice imaging, lush and engaging vocals that are center stage, smooth bass with nice texture, fairly tight maybe not the deepest but enough for my tastes.
Treble has a slightly metallic tinge, but it's only very slight and not disturbing, just creates more energy and suits pop music very well.

I'm also interested to see how it sounds in balanced with Sony ZX507, if it adds more bass slam and smooths over the highs it will be a perfect pairing.
This sounds very promising, thanks for the brief review!

Apr 15, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #19 of 1,365
Glad you like them, T.R.A.N.C.E. I found they got better after burn-in (100 hours minimum) and sound best when run balanced via the 4.4mm Pentaconn out of my Sony NW-WM1A (which was what I wanted to pair it with) or via a 4-pin XLR (adapter or custom cable) to my Oppo HA-1. Bass gets deeper and the treble smooths out a bit after burn-in. The vocals are gorgeous from the start! They do ruthlessly reveal poor recordings.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #22 of 1,365
Pads (approximate):
interior 2-1/4" H x 1-3/4 W
exterior 3-1/2 H x 3-3/8 W

More room than my KEF/Porsche's and Oppo's interior dimensions (see list below), and interior is only 1/4" smaller in height than the Focal Clear pads.

Overall (approximate):
7.5" to 8" top to cable connections (unworn - 7.5" is smallest dimension, and I'm running about a 1/4"-1/2" extension of the ear cups)
6" wide (unworn)

May 2, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #23 of 1,365
So ZX507 with WP900 is perfection. The Sony and AT have both burned in properly and the synergy is beyond my wildest dreams. It's everything I could want. The smooth vocal rendition of the ZX507 coupled with the sharp attack of the WP900 is phenomenally engaging, the bass actually rumbles, it's a sub bass focus with this combo. Not for bass heads though, there is nothing loose or woolly here, just pure quality bass. If you are extremely sensitive to brightness, maybe this neutral of a presentation might not be for you, the treble and upper mids are not rolled off, nor are they intrusive, but they are always there highlighting detail, for me it's darn near perfect. I'd say treble, mids and bass are equal in quantity, but not in a flat way, more like an accentuated ^^^ response! I did find the bass when paired with AK SP1000M wasn't as good, the ZX507 really made it better in every way, tighter, harder and deeper, I also preferred the smoother mids and treble with ZX507. Just a phenomenal pairing.

11222105.jpg

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #24 of 1,365
How would you rate the soundstage for this closed-back? I have had my eye on these for a while but there is just not enough information out there to warrant a blind purchase.

May 3, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #25 of 1,365
If Audio46 opens up again, in Manhattan, maybe you can try them.

May 7, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #26 of 1,365
I ended up going with 99 classics, with yaxi pad swap to get some more experience with a closed headphone. Probably will sell them one day in order to upgrade to WP900. How long did you burn them in before they settled on their sound?

I just realized I'm a sucker for beautiful wood cups (I rock a Silkwood verite open on my main rig at home).

May 26, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #27 of 1,365
Pads (approximate):
interior 2-1/4" H x 1-3/4 W
exterior 3-1/2 H x 3-3/8 W

More room than my KEF/Porsche's and Oppo's interior dimensions (see list below), and interior is only 1/4" smaller in height than the Focal Clear pads.

Overall (approximate):
7.5" to 8" top to cable connections (unworn - 7.5" is smallest dimension, and I'm running about a 1/4"-1/2" extension of the ear cups)
6" wide (unworn)
What do you think of the KEF Space One? I have the wireless version and very much like it. When I have used it wired with something like the FiiO Q5s it sounds quite nice as well. Not many people seem to have the KEF so I was quite happy to see that you do.

May 26, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #28 of 1,365
I like it but after a while my ears start to hurt (there's not as much room as the ATH-WP900) and it can get hot under the pads.
Warm sound, not much difference between using noise reduction and none.

May 27, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #29 of 1,365
I like it but after a while my ears start to hurt (there's not as much room as the ATH-WP900) and it can get hot under the pads.
Warm sound, not much difference between using noise reduction and none.
Hi there, I'm looking to get a pair of these to run from my WM1A, which is the set up you also have. Would you be good enough to give me some more impressions on the following:

1. How precise is the imaging and detail retrieval? I'm really looking for an audiophile pair on the go. Any comment you can give on how resolving they are would also be welcome.
2. I have a pair of ATH-MSR7b, which I like very much. I also have thew HDC114A/1.2 cable, which improved clarity. Have you a chance to compare them?
3. Can you expand on comfort? Any issues?
4. Out of interest, I also have the Focal Clears, as do you. Probably my favourite headphones. Any similarities in terms of sound signature with the WP900?

They do also look especially beautiful, which is a perk.
Many thanks.

May 27, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #30 of 1,365
The imaging is precise and the detail is stunning. I hear things in recordings that I hadn't heard before, but not quite at the level of the Clear, though. I have never heard the ATH-MSR7b. The WP900 is extremely comfortable all around; no hotspots on my head or ears.

If you like the midrange and clarity of the Clear, you'll likely enjoy the WP900. The bass is fast and tight, but not as deep as the Clear via an amp. The midrange is gorgeous. Nice soundstaging for a set of closed cans.

They work quite well with the WM1A - I bought them for that purpose and have been quite happy. But the bag for the headphones is a joke! See my other posts for an alternative case. The upgraded cables work well with the headphones, but I haven't done extended comparisons with the supplied cables; I do think they improved the bass and treble.

My WM1A is loaded with AIF files, with plenty of hi-res recordings. Like any good headphone, these will be ruthless with poor recordings, but you already know that...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back