Audio Technica ATH-W5000 headphones
Feb 15, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #16 of 304
I am beginning to think that most of the very diverse opinions on higher end ATH headphones have to do with the fit. People with big heads tend to find them to be warmer with better bass than people with smaller heads. simply because the smaller the head the the more it leaks and the less bass is heard
Just a theory!
But i never heard of any other phones that people argue so much about regardless of personal taste!

If this is true - ATH should sell different sizes of pads to make a good seal with different head sizes. Much better option than to leave the excellent headband!

Feb 15, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #17 of 304
Yoy can adjust the headbands so the fit won't be an issue, I have a small head and it sits as good as any phone i had.

richbass, The bass is better than K701's but if you're looking for bass quntity you still won't find much of it in the W5000. It's more about "seeing" than "feeling" it. Also you need a higher-tier amp to actually get some level of authority in my exprience.

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #18 of 304
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
moonboy:

Is it not true that Audio Technica made a headphone amplifier specifically designed for the ATH-W5000 which is the AT-HA5000 and that it is no longer in production?

Thank you for your opinions.

It looks like the HA5000 is still available on Price Japan for $1,230 US + Shipping.

I have never heard the HA5000, but I have a Yamamoto HA-02 and it pairs up very nicely with the W5000. It costs $995 US Shipping included through Venus Hifi.

Feb 17, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #19 of 304
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aslan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like the HA5000 is still available on Price Japan for $1,230 US + Shipping.

I have never heard the HA5000, but I have a Yamamoto HA-02 and it pairs up very nicely with the W5000. It costs $995 US Shipping included through Venus Hifi.

Aslan123:

Thank you for posting that information. I will get the HA5000 headphone amplifier sometime later on this year.

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #20 of 304
Quote:

Aslan123:

Thank you for posting that information. I will get the HA5000 headphone amplifier sometime later on this year.

Why did you sell your 5910ci?

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #21 of 304
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why did you sell your 5910ci?

I sold it because I wanted an outstanding CD player and I found it in my Resolution Audio Opus 21 full stack. Now, my CDs sound better than the SA-CDs through the Denon DVD-5910ci.

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #22 of 304
Quote:

I sold it because I wanted an outstanding CD player and I found it in my Resolution Audio Opus 21 full stack. Now, my CDs sound better than the SA-CDs through the Denon DVD-5910ci.

Must be one hell of a CD player.. Does it mate well with your W5000?

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #23 of 304
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Must be one hell of a CD player.. Does it mate well with your W5000?

So far, I really enjoy my ATH-W5000 with my Resolution Audio Opus 21 full stack and Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline HR-2. The sound is so open and natural.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #25 of 304
I wanted to update my thread to include vis-a-vis comparisons between my Audio Technica ATH-W5000 headphones and Ultimate Ears Ue-10 PRO in ear monitors. I remember writing a review of my Ue-10 PRO IEMs several years ago so please do a search. I am confident in writing that the ATH-W5000 trounces the Ue-10 PRO in micro dynamic shading: low level detail retrieval and very fine resolution sound better. They also trump in macro dynamic shading: hyper fast, nimble, and yet fairly well balanced as a whole except for the warmth in the upper midrange and slight top treble brightness. However, the Ue-10 PRO excel in passive noise isolation at -26dB; mine still fit my ears solidly even after years of ownership.

As for comparisons to the AKG K 701 in the bass section, the ATH-W5000 reproduce the lowest registers with stunning precision albeit at the cost of slam. I also have to write that while both headphones are bass shy cans, but the A-T sound the most natural in tonal accuracy especially on classical, opera, and jazz genres of music.

The Audio Technica ATH-W5000 represent the very best headphones that I have the pleasure of listening to in depth compared to similarly priced headphones in its category and they compliment the many strengths of my reference system like a custom fitted pair of leather gloves.

Feb 24, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #26 of 304
I am writing my review now. I expect to post it here by the end of this month. Thereafter, I will be working with Jude and Zanth to get it published in the first Head-Fi Quarterly online magazine sometime in March.

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #29 of 304
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's very early days for me with the ATH-W5000, but this headphone has not disappointed and it is a pleasure to own for reasons other than its sound quality alone.

Do my impressions closely mirror your impressions of the ATH-W5000?

Feb 26, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #30 of 304
Quote:

I wanted to update my thread to include vis-a-vis comparisons between my Audio Technica ATH-W5000 headphones and Ultimate Ears Ue-10 PRO in ear monitors. I remember writing a review of my Ue-10 PRO IEMs several years ago so please do a search. I am confident in writing that the ATH-W5000 trounces the Ue-10 PRO in micro dynamic shading: low level detail retrieval and very fine resolution sound better. They also trump in macro dynamic shading: hyper fast, nimble, and yet fairly well balanced as a whole except for the warmth in the upper midrange and slight top treble brightness. However, the Ue-10 PRO excel in passive noise isolation at -26dB; mine still fit my ears solidly even after years of ownership.

As for comparisons to the AKG K 701 in the bass section, the ATH-W5000 reproduce the lowest registers with stunning precision albeit at the cost of slam. I also have to write that while both headphones are bass shy cans, but the A-T sound the most natural in tonal accuracy especially on classical, opera, and jazz genres of music.

The Audio Technica ATH-W5000 represent the very best headphones that I have the pleasure of listening to in depth compared to similarly priced headphones in its category and they compliment the many strengths of my reference system like a custom fitted pair of leather gloves.

And you haven't even mentioned the phenomenal soundstaging yet. Which is one of the best, if not the best I have heard in a headphone
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back