Audio-Technica ATH-W1000 - Very Positive First Impressions! ! !
Mar 29, 2006 at 8:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

cide

New Head-Fier
I'm happily listening to some of my rather large, 500GB~ Collection of well encoded and well sorted lossless and lame-vbr/320 Mp3's.

The only thing that is different this time,
is the fact that I am not hearing them out of my Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra modded with RSX-5 Sats and RSX-4 Center ($229USD For single speaker each)

This time, My first pair of relativly high end headphones. I met a fellow friend here at head-fi in my city, and not only did his marvolous setup impresss and disown me, he pulled out this pair of headphones that blew my mind. I thought my hearing wasnt as good as it clearly can be now that I am spiritually aware of the benefits a good pair of cans can offer.

I was planning on ordering a pair over the weekend but I encountered some issues, and friend offered to sell me his for $400 CDN. They were (Yes, were) in absolute MINT condition with NO scratches or anything, this guy is a damn professional at keeping things new.. though apparantly these were only used for about 20 hours or so.

Unfortunatly it took me 20 hours or less to put multiple minor scratches and a really noticable dent in the freaking gorgeous wooden panels that are infused with the spirit of gaia. *Sigh* /smacks self

So, anyway, Since Im moving out I am low on budget, I was originally considering a buy consisting of HD650's and a "Hornet" Amp, But that would total over 850$ Canadian. I wasn't aware, however, that my Soundblaster X-fi Fatal1ty had a damn headphone amp built in, which even though is not high end, is able to power these AT's really nice! another bonus of this soundcard that easily is worth its price.

Anyway, Yeah, I listen to ALOT of complex music, I have probably one of the largest collections of le' creme of the crop golden metal.... I wasn't sure if this is the best pair of headphones for the music I listen to the most, but sure enough, all my favorite metal sounds great... and I was never a fan of excessive bass... I have always choose accuracy and dynamic over loudness and loud bass. These headphones are so awesome and I would really recomend them to anyone considering.

I have a loud PC and closed cans are awesome, they get rid of the PC noise that has always slightly bothered my listening.

As hard as it is, I have to end my buying cycle somewhere. As many of you know, Finding out how easy it is to locate the best of the best you can get for some piece of technology, and then wanting more and more and more of the best to compliment everything you own... This results in endless spending and greed and poor choices in life maybe even sometimes, in relation to what motivates you... So, with that said, I am going to TRY and be satisifed with what I have, I'll let you know the results... But a bit of sound advice... I mean, over a year or so you can gradually assemble a multimetal, ermedia, PC -- to replace the aging thing known as mass-media-mind-control, or television... and your radio, and everything.

This is so great because the end result is people returning to simplier lifes, Less clutter, no nonesense and tons of things everywhere.. More time to focus on whats truly important in the short life we live.. and even more so, the short time our hearing lasts... I am a 19 year old male, and even I am sad to say it is my birthday in a few days and I am NOT looking forward to 20. And even though my right ear is a bit damaged from being punched, I still remember being 16 with golden ears! I wish I knew how to take care of my ears BEFORE tinnitus and other things became issues... Sigh, But, all hope is not lost.. I still have hopes on eternal life
smily_headphones1.gif
IN THIS BODY! WITH NEWLY GROWN STEM CELL'd INNER EAR HAIR CELLS Mwa !~ Somehow! At least by 2012 one would hope
smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

I'd have to say, The way things are going this year, even this month... It feels like, 100 more things are compressed into any given moment in time, In realtivity -- making a day appear so short it would compare to below 16~ish hours in comparision to our supposid "24 hours a day" clock. But then again, whos to say how long an hour really is?

I swear though, everyone I talk to says the same.. Time is passing faster, Way way faster, and sometimes its slower and inconsistent. Look at how much we on earth, have discovered, developed and understood within the last ONE HUNDRED YEARS. its like a tidal wave of acceleration, and I think there is double the amount of what has come, to come, in the next 20 years. Its like our whole solar system is changing, not just our planet and our suppsid "global warming" which I believe is a crok theory, Our planet is changing VERY fast now because we are entering even more energies.. In fact, our sun had to be given a new 11 year cycle coming up now, which will be 50% more powerful then the sun cycle that just ended! We saw what happened near the end of this one
smily_headphones1.gif
I can't wait to see what beneficial changes occur, Because everything is changing -- even the magnetics of our field on earth (I hope it never changes so Magnetic HDD's stop reading HAHA)... and once again, all this has been proven to have an effect on the mind, sound (magnetics) and everything else in your life, including the people in it. Soo before I babble on anymore, Very off topic, what I'm basically saying is... We're all in for a whole bunch.. Alas, to some degree, You cannot have good without perceived "Bad".

Anyway, I just wanted to say that because I think its cool if You expose sand particles on a grid table... in a sealed and contained room full of ultrasonic sound volumes... That these sands, on their own, form strange spirals and mimic circular rotary patterns of galaxies, solar systems and even life itself.. I think everything is built on an underlaying layer of music and numbers... Like, how our solar system actually physically is vibrating like a very ultra low octave drumhead rite as I type this...

Though, you'd probably need a keyboard or piano the size of antartica to produce this low of an octive hahaah
smily_headphones1.gif

Some thoughts though... the music from these cans, seems to have stimulated my mind, another "perpetual" bonus of the ATH-W1000.

Mar 29, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #2 of 7
So... people *CAN* get high on wooden headphones...
evil_smiley.gif

J/K

Congratulations, cide! Welcome to head-fi and to Team Audio-Technica
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm not sorry about your wallet, since apparently you got a good deal on your W1000s
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 9:22 AM Post #3 of 7
Wallet or not,

I am satisfied and made humble by what I can afford with the little income I have, not to mention, what I can afford personally provides me with a highly satisfied feeling.. Though, I'm sure I'd be singing a different tune should I have billions of dollars, and my paws into various advanced scientific and medical technologies not commonly available to the public
smily_headphones1.gif
Just kidding, all things aside though, I think the seperation between the rich and the poor is finnally closing.

Maybe someday money won't really mean anything when everyone is theoretically as stimulated as possible for a human mind without dapening or damaging its effect to perceive, or impending seriously upon ones wallet.

/giggle.

Goodnight,
And yeah it was an allrite deal. The right channel is a bit faint, sometimes it sounds like theres more highs and vocals to the left channel, but then again sometimes it seems there is more vocals to the right.

Oh well,
I am thankful for what I am capable of and what I've got
wink.gif

"Listens for the dreadead "for now" comments" haha
Thanks for welcome.

Mar 29, 2006 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by cide
Though, you'd probably need a keyboard or piano the size of antartica to produce this low of an octive hahaah
smily_headphones1.gif

Some thoughts though... the music from these cans, seems to have stimulated my mind, another "perpetual" bonus of the ATH-W1000.

judging by some of the extremities of the universe, i'd say the keyboard would be quite a lot bigger
biggrin.gif

congrats on your new cans, it seems you are enjoying them a lot... now just imagine the L3000 paired with a good setup
evil_smiley.gif

EDIT: Almost forgot!! welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm sorry to remind you of that,
I feel your pain.

I can't imagine how being bored by $$$$ gear is. But, effectivly, by me being 19 and being in the state I am now... but already perceive the hearing loss I already have, etc, I enjoy affordable stuff to make way for the expensive stuff when I am your age

if this has to happen and there is no technology or research into perfecting human ears for inexpensive prices by then, I will at the very least be able to afford all the latest, and I will have transitioned and been refreshed by this time line.

So yes, and btw, I am already having a mid life crisis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back