Audio-Technica ATH-W100 on ebay
May 27, 2005 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Air-Xpress

New Head-Fier
Hi!
been reading this site for weeks. i think i want the ath-w100.
they are on ebay with bidding up to $100.
should i? and how much are they worth?
i cannot seem to find them online.
if they are discontinued then are the newer ones better?

thanks!
Emy

May 27, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 11
they are discontinued.

which newer headphones are you talking about? there are several within the ATH-W series that are newer than the ATH-W100. I prefer the ATH-W100 over the ATH-W1000 (current production wooden headphone) but compared to the ATH-L3000 (current production limited edition wooden headphone) I prefer the ATH-L3000 over the ATH-W100 by a lot. there are a few more discontinued ones in the ATH-W series that are newer than the ATH-W100 too.

May 27, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Air-Xpress
Hi!
been reading this site for weeks. i think i want the ath-w100.
they are on ebay with bidding up to $100.
should i? and how much are they worth?
i cannot seem to find them online.
if they are discontinued then are the newer ones better?

thanks!
Emy

Hi There, Welcome to headfi.

Those are the W100's alright on ebay. Last time I checked the bidding was $200. When they were still in production the used value was anywhere between $220-260 or thereabouts. But now since production has stopped they have increased in value.

This is because headfiers are willing to pay the prices. The ones which are kinda sought after are the UK ones as they are only a few months old and were NOS (New old stock) discovered in a hi fi warehouse. UK headfiers quickly snapped them up and then there were none.

But people constantly upgrade or curious about other phones so they need to sell to fund it. I own one of the ones from the UK W100's. It has now been locked away in Hockeytown for good and is going nowhere
wink.gif

The poster above me has the even rarer version. W11JPN. I tried to convince him to "Donate" it, but he is a wily old fox. Apparently he said I could have it for a straight swap...for my last remaining R-10...for a split second I would of...
rs1smile.gif

May 27, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Those are the W100's alright on ebay. Last time I checked the bidding was $200. When they were still in production the used value was anywhere between $220-260 or thereabouts.

I'd say that would be their true worth. Whatever they're valued at now above the used price when they were still in production would be soley due to the "discontinued premium" applied because there's always fanatics who doesn't mind breaking their wallet.
wink.gif
eBay's already at $201.23...that's a lot money to shell out to someone who nobody knows.

There are also 2 types of W100s from what I read here, one kind is horrible (even after burning it in for weeks) while the other is great. It's a gamble unless the seller can atest to what kind they are.

FYI, someone from head-fi posted an IC for a pair of these cans, that's probably a safer bet as they seem to be well taken care of and includes the superior leather W2002 pads.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121145

May 27, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shift
I'd say that would be their true worth. Whatever they're valued at now above the used price when they were still in production would be soley due to the "discontinued premium" applied because there's always fanatics who doesn't mind breaking their wallet.
wink.gif
eBay's already at $201.23...that's a lot money to shell out to someone who nobody knows.

Mine didn't cost me anything. I traded a spare set of headphones I had, no biggie. I guesstimate that the ones on ebay might go for $300+ but then again I am new to the AT headphones.

May 27, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 11
you guys are great all my searching and a wealth of info. can't put a price on experience. i've e-mailed the seller to see how "new" these are. i guess i should look into a matching amplifier. solid state i would guess.

May 27, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 11
All I can say is that the price for a pair of W100s can get quite high. The ones you're looking at is in mint condition with box and all papers like the ones GoRedwings19 has. Like GoRedwings19 has stated, I wouldn't be surprised to that particular pair sell for $300+. I have both W1000's and W100's and do prefer the W100's more because the W1000's can sound a bit flat or thin. It's been mentioned here that a great amp to pair up with AT cans would be the Sugden Headmaster or one that has been modded by Carlo.

May 27, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #9 of 11
I'm always amazed at what some people will buy sight-unseen, or in this case unheard. Especially when they can spend the same money on something that could be auditioned locally at a store, or at a Head-Fi meet, or from one of our sponsors.

Audio-Technica headphones are finicky. They have their diehard fans, and their detractors. People usually either love 'em, or not. Either way, they do not appeal to a wide audience. Systems matching is very key with any A-T headphone.

As a newb, I'd suggest going for something a bit more mainstream, and has a warranty, or at least a return policy.

Btw, W100's were going for ~$215-$240 used not too long ago around here. So use that as a guide if you are bent on bidding. Those do look to be in excellent shape, so a bit more may be in order for someone who really wants them.

May 28, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #10 of 11
Jpelg>The sugden headmaster modded by carlo works well with the w2002's does it not? I don't have the sugden anymore as I didn't like the sound whn I had it. But at that time I didn't have any AT's.

I do have the original reciept for the w100's and the box and everything. I got lucky I suppose. I did a trade for them.

For driving my AT's ATM I am using a Melos carlo modded (I think it use to belong to Jpelg at one time). But an alternative I read to the sugden headmaster is the Ear Hp-4. But there is one caveat. I lent it to a headfier and he loves it....not to mention he is on the other side of the world.

Jpelg>Would the HP-4 be a good alternative the Sugden?

May 28, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
The sugden headmaster modded by carlo works well with the w2002's does it not?

Would the HP-4 be a good alternative the Sugden?

The Sugden Headmaster, particularly one to which carlo's mods have been applied, has terrific synegy with the W2002's. However, the W100's are a very different animal. I didn't care for them. They do not sound anything like the 2002's.

Sadly, I've never heard the HP4 to comment one way or the other. Hopefully someday.

Glad to hear that my old Melos is still going strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back