Audio Technica ATH-SR5BT: Discussion Thread
May 6, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #46 of 75
So these are my first pair of AT headphones.  I'm not very big into headphones, but I wanted to finally step out and try something that looked good and also sounded good.  My previous headphones were Samsungs Level On wireless, Phiaton BT 330, Beat solo HD wireless, and Powerbeats2 wireless.  Let's just say the ATs are the best headphones I've ever owned.  Pairing was easy with my s7 edge. After pairing, I walked around and didn't lose any connectivity.  They are comfortable on the ear with minor adjustments to fit your needs.  I did have to get use to the headphones not folding in like the level on, but not a show stopper.   Wireless sound was great.  I played my music within my library and streamed some music from google.  I did find the bass level low, but I tweaked my EQ to fit my needs.  All my music is FLAC which these headphones paired with the phone handle quite well.  I am kind of wondering how these would sound with the new HTC 10.  As mentioned by Giogio, once they go on your ear, they isolate pretty well.  I had the tv going and couldn't make out the sound on the tv. If you use the cable with the headphones, all I can say is wow.  The music was ringing my ears in a good way.  I haven't had a chance to try them out with a call.  Maybe I'll get around to it this weekend.  These are worth it if you are looking at a pair of BT headphones.  Sorry, I'm not as in depth as Giogio's review.

May 8, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #47 of 75
Today i noticed that i have small ears :D
I was listening on SR5BT and i wanted get better seal, so i extended headband a little (from 3 to 4 point) and when I did it I had a feel that SR5BT pads are more Around the ear not On ear headphones :D

May 8, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #48 of 75
Oh those are little ears indeed :)

Han, apart for the powerbeats I've the other ones here and yeah, I agree, the SR have a special wow. It's a quality of openness, freshness, pleasantness. Transparent and natural.

May 21, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #49 of 75
Just bought these - should arrive in a week or two- will give my take when I get a chance. I heard the bass is pretty weak and the upper mids are a tad harsh. I hope that's not the case but I got these for very cheap so I can always sell them for more than I paid.

Right now, my daily drivers are the Sony MDR 100AAPs and these are my first leap into bluetooth headphones.

The other cans I'm scoping out are the B&O Beoplay H7 & H8, and Sony MDR 100ABN.

May 26, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #51 of 75
  Just bought these - should arrive in a week or two- will give my take when I get a chance. I heard the bass is pretty weak and the upper mids are a tad harsh. I hope that's not the case but I got these for very cheap so I can always sell them for more than I paid.

Right now, my daily drivers are the Sony MDR 100AAPs and these are my first leap into bluetooth headphones.

The other cans I'm scoping out are the B&O Beoplay H7 & H8, and Sony MDR 100ABN.

the bass is indeed neutral out of the box, can be EQed anyway to achieve a more satisfactory level, although as I have explained in the review they are just not a basshead can.
I would not define their bass "weak", weak is a negative expression and implies something wrong which should be different from how it is.
They have a neutral bass. Many people wants exactly this.
I am a basshead and I love these overall. For a lot of music I can't find anything to complain about them. Although I do, yes, push the bass with some music. And I would never pick them when I know I want to listen to EDM.
But there again, I would NEVER pick the H7 for serious EDM, a discussion about this costed me a forum friend, but that is, there is no universal HP, period.
I did not try the 100 AAP but I am in love with the 100ABN. It's a wonderful HP, very very transparent and detailed and with a cool soundstage with a nice balance of depth and width. They are a bit dark, completely different from the SR5 which feels open and fresh.
And they are the only Sony BT HP with a tight and controlled bass with zero muddiness.
I feel them a bit "intellectual"; somehow cold, although not unemotional and definitely not boring. But a bit like a virtuoso musician or actor with huge technical skills but who does not smile much. The 1ABT on the opposite are a smiling headphone with less technical perfection.
If you find my description similar to the 100AAP, go for the 100ABN.

The H7 are smoother, less focused, less transparent, a bit warmer somehow but I feel them a bit dull.
The H8 have harshness too if you are sensitive (I do NOT feel the SR5 harsh AT ALL, but they do indeed have a little push on the upper mids and you can see it in the EQ curve in my review). They are also a bit bassy but the ANC influences the bass response quite a lot so that the ANC button is a sort of Bass Boost button too. I love bass but I prefer them in the more balanced sound they have without ANC.
You should first contact BeoPlay to have the 100% security you will get the new batch with fixed BT connectivity/range problems.

May 26, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #52 of 75
Forgot to say: more than "prepared not to like them" you seem not prepared about what you really want.
You named 4 headphones with completely different sound and form/dimensions and functions and price and look.

May 27, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #53 of 75
  Forgot to say: more than "prepared not to like them" you seem not prepared about what you really want.
You named 4 headphones with completely different sound and form/dimensions and functions and price and look.

The headphones just arrived... Wow, you were right. So many of the online reviews totally missed the point with these headphones! Your's was near spot-on. These are excellent! I've been listening to them for the past several hours. I'll provide my review shortly but it'll echo much of what you said.

The bass is excellent- not AT ALL anemic. I'm a hip-hop fan and these don't need any EQing on my end. They actually sound similar to the Sony MDR100 AAP but with more push in the upper mids and a bit less definition in the lows, but that may be because I haven't tried these in wired mode.

There's so  much to say but I can't be any happier. Let me gather my thoughts! So excited!

May 28, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #54 of 75
You find their bass ok for hip hop out of the box? Or did you EQ them first?
If you didn't, try pushing the bass with EQ a bit, try push only a part of the bass at a time to find the ideal result.

Jun 5, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #56 of 75
My review below. Comparing them to a few other non-bluetooth headphones I've had (all over-ear) as a bit of context.

Comfort: I wear glasses and have a relatively big head so this is important to me. Pl
SR5BT: I have a bigger head than probably ~80% of people and I am 1 or 2 notches away from utilizing the max size of these headphones. They'll fit the vast majority of people but for those with long and narrow heads, it may not fit well as they won't be snug enough- the clamp force may be insufficient to make these feel secure. Regardless, clamp force for these is solid but not uncomfortable. They may feel a tad uncomfortable after 1.5 hrs but that makes them more comfortable than most on-ear or off-ear headphones. They're also incredibly light. 7/10
ATH M50 (the original-not X): heavier than I feel they need to be and the clamp force is unreasonably tight. Can only wear for ~1hr. 5/10
MDR-1A: They're light and fit wonderfully. Feel slightly looser than the MDR-100aap. Can wear for hours. 9/10
MDR-100aap: These are also light and fit great. They clamp just a bit tighter than the MDR-1A. The top headband also isn't quite as comfortable as the MDR-1A. Can wear for hours. 8/10

Durability: This isn't at all objective as the only way to tell is to intentionally abuse each pair. Sometimes a durable-feeling pair of headphones have a weak joint or a light pair of phones are more durable than they feel.
SR5BT: These feel durablle but not as durable as any of the headphones below. For their size and weight, they're great but my concern relates to scuffs or marks on the headband or cups. 7/10
ATH M50: Heavy, flexible, and built like a tank. 9/10
MDR-1A: Feels premium but doesn't feel like it can take abuse like the ATH M50. 7.5/10
MDR-100aap: Same as the 1A but the lack of substantial swivel is odd. 7/10

Aesthetics: Very subjective. However, I think it would be hard for anyone to argue the ATH-M50s are better looking than any of the other headphones- SR5BT or Sonys.
SR5BT: they look and feel premium and aren't large and showy. They aren't gaudy but don't look as premium as the B&O H8 or M&D MH60 but cost a fraction of the price. They're for those who want a subtle aesthetic. 8/10 
ATH M50: 6/10
MDR-1A: 9.5/10 (these simply look like very expensive headphones)
MDR-100aap: 8.5/10 (these don't look particularly premium) 

Sound: This is also outlandishly subjective. Please read my headphone experience below to gauge how applicable this is to you. I think my thoughts will be relatively consistent with most of the reviews out there.
SR5BT: If you're looking for a relatively neutral sound with tight but not boomy base, these work well. The upper-mids are a bit pronounced. These aren't warm headphones. But these aren't cold either. The highs aren't harsh. The lows aren't pronounced. Except for the pronounced upper mids, these are relatively neutral. Reviews that say these are cold or lack bass may be written by bass-heads who want a very pronounced low-end. If this fits the bill, these will work well for you. The bass is a bit tighter when wired but these still sound great on bluetooth. When wired, I'd give these an 8/10. Using bluetooth, I'd give them a 7.5
ATH-M50: These initially sound fun and have better separation in the mids. But the harsh high-end and the slightly sloppy bass made them fatiguing for long listening sessions. 7/10
MDR-1A: These sound very similar to the MDR-100aap but have a more aggressive low-end. Overly aggressive in my opinion. 8/10
MDR-100aap: These basically sound like the MDR-1A if the bass were more subtle. These are definitely NOT bass-deficient headphones by any stretch of the imagination but it's more tight. The word i'd use to describe these headphones is balanced. These aren't for bass-heads. These aren't for folks who want very well-defined and pronounced highs at the expense of everything else. And the mids are solid but nothing spectacular. It's the fact that it's all so well-balanced that make these great for so many people. Initially, they seem to lack the life that the ATH M50s possess but this also means you can use these for longer stretches- they aren't remotely as fatiguing. It didn't take much time for these to grow on me. They are absolutely worth the money. These headphones don't inspire confidence at first but grow on you very quickly. If they were the same price, these headphones make the ATH M50x nearly irrelevant in my opinion. 9/10

Bluetooth performance: I connected these to my computer, LG smartphone, and iPhone. No connectivity issues to speak of. The battery life is superb. The range is also superb- I used these on the other side of my condo with a few walls separating me from the source and there were no issues. The only issue here is they don't give you any indication when one device is attempting to connect to these when another one is already connected. Note that I don't have a lot of experience with bluetooth headphones so take this piece with a grain of salt. 8.5/10

My experience with headphones: Sennheiser HD 515, Ultrasone Proline 650, Audio Technica ATH M50, Sony MDR 1A (briefly for comparison), Sony MDR 100aap. I've also tried several other headphones in the past. I found Sennheisers to often be too dull on the high-end- I understand what folks mean when they refer to the Sennheiser veil. I got bored with most of them. The Ultrasones were heavy, uncomfortable, and sacrificed the mid-range to get a better perceived soundstage. Sold those.The ATH M50s were my daily drivers for two years but I always went back to my near-field Presonus studio monitors because the headphones were too aggressive and they fatigued my ears. The m50s also had shrill highs and the bass is a tad sloppy. The Sony MDR-1A were great but the bass was a bit excessive for me and lacked a bit of clarity. I wanted something more subdued. I've also tried AKG & Grado headphones and have always hated their sound signature- the high end was overly pronounced and the bass was a bit anemic. I just don't like them.  I spend ~3/4 of my time with my Presonus Ceres 3.5BT nearfield studio monitors.

Jul 31, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #57 of 75

Beoplay H7s sound great but those stupid lamb skin earpads don't seem even remotely durable. They should have gone with a more durable leather or something synthetic. Doesn't help that the replacement earpads are $100 USD. They don't seem to offer much to justify the premium over the sr5bts. Getting rid of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back