Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Jul 23, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #2,326 of 2,666
Yup, these are fantastic headphones and incredibly resolving, with what I'd call a unique sound signature - notably in the highs. It seems that while the treble response is detailed and extended, the tonality is slightly out of tune. But I sort of welcome this modestly off-kilter tonality for a break from the norm, especially since it's not too drastic. Also coming from both the Senn. HD 650 and HD-600, the r70x made me realize the Senn's do indeed seem to have a veil! Even the HD-600 with silver aftermarket cable sounds veiled in comparison to the speed and sublime openness of these things, and I for now still have no desire to go back.

So I went ahead and took apart the r70x last night to clean out any hair that may be causing lower frequency distortion. You just need an extra small phillips screwdriver and a steady hand - remove two sets of 4 screws. Then you have two completely removable components but I couldn't quite open the metal casing on the transducer. I was impressed with the intricate craftsmanship of this design. After putting it back together the hum was worse, but them I decided to simply do some medium-hard blowing on all sides of this left earcup and WALA! Problem solved completely! Must've dislodged a hair I couldn't get to.

I also added 6 ferrite chokes on the stock cable which I found really opened things up and added refinement! I used a combination of industrial quality ferrite chokes from Star-Tec; 3 of each designed to work on noise attenuation for both higher and lower frequencies. I am extremely pleased with the result on the stock cable, and have a custom Neotech aftermarket balanced cable on the way from Singapore.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #2,327 of 2,666
Thomann is absolutely a fantastic retailer, I strongly recommend them. I just received my R70x from them today; it arrived from Germany to here in the Seattle area in just a few days. This is my second headphone purchase from them (previous was a K712 Pro) and that arrived just as quickly and easily. Their customer service is also fantastic; I had a return/replacement on the K712's and their folks are wonderful to work with.

On another question: Can anyone recommend a case for the R70x? That carrying bag that came with them isn't going to do a thing for protection.

The cable was an obvious immediate replacement. I didn't have the money to buy one of the fancy ones from Etsy so I found this one on AliExpress. They're having a ridiculous sale right now and I got the cable for 77% off. The sale I believe ends in a few hours and that seller has a number of other cables compatible with the R70x so get on it if you're interested. I have it on good authority from the Cheap Headphone Cables Thread that the seller is legit.
Would love to hear your impressions of the cable once you get it. Been considering going the balanced route with my R70X and wanted to find a reasonably priced cable.

Jul 24, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #2,328 of 2,666
Yup, these are fantastic headphones and incredibly resolving, with what I'd call a unique sound signature - notably in the highs. It seems that while the treble response is detailed and extended, the tonality is slightly out of tune. But I sort of welcome this modestly off-kilter tonality for a break from the norm, especially since it's not too drastic. Also coming from both the Senn. HD 650 and HD-600, the r70x made me realize the Senn's do indeed seem to have a veil! Even the HD-600 with silver aftermarket cable sounds veiled in comparison to the speed and sublime openness of these things, and I for now still have no desire to go back.

So I went ahead and took apart the r70x last night to clean out any hair that may be causing lower frequency distortion. You just need an extra small phillips screwdriver and a steady hand - remove two sets of 4 screws. Then you have two completely removable components but I couldn't quite open the metal casing on the transducer. I was impressed with the intricate craftsmanship of this design. After putting it back together the hum was worse, but them I decided to simply do some medium-hard blowing on all sides of this left earcup and WALA! Problem solved completely! Must've dislodged a hair I couldn't get to.

I also added 6 ferrite chokes on the stock cable which I found really opened things up and added refinement! I used a combination of industrial quality ferrite chokes from Star-Tec; 3 of each designed to work on noise attenuation for both higher and lower frequencies. I am extremely pleased with the result on the stock cable, and have a custom Neotech aftermarket balanced cable on the way from Singapore.

That's the audio-technica treble for you, haven't quite heard it replicated on another brand of headphones. I've heard it on numerous other AT headphones, some more or less pronounced, it's almost papery but in a good way, it's hard to properly describe. It was very pronounced on the MSR7b for instance while it's more mild on the R70x. Depending on the system that treble can be detriment or a benefit. It can be a tad dry and scratchy on some systems or it can be seductive and very pleasing. I think this is why some people say the treble is tad grainy.

Glad you got the distortion sorted out. Yeah one thing I really like about the R70x is how modular it is, seems like it's very easy to repair. Seems to be one of the most modular headphones out there outside the HD 6xx series. That's interesting on the ferrite chokes on the stock cable, may try that out sometime.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #2,329 of 2,666
That's the audio-technica treble for you, haven't quite heard it replicated on another brand of headphones. I've heard it on numerous other AT headphones, some more or less pronounced, it's almost papery but in a good way, it's hard to properly describe. It was very pronounced on the MSR7b for instance while it's more mild on the R70x. Depending on the system that treble can be detriment or a benefit. It can be a tad dry and scratchy on some systems or it can be seductive and very pleasing. I think this is why some people say the treble is tad grainy.

Glad you got the distortion sorted out. Yeah one thing I really like about the R70x is how modular it is, seems like it's very easy to repair. Seems to be one of the most modular headphones out there outside the HD 6xx series. That's interesting on the ferrite chokes on the stock cable, may try that out sometime.
Which headphone has the best treble?under 500$

Jul 24, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #2,330 of 2,666
The cable was an obvious immediate replacement. I didn't have the money to buy one of the fancy ones from Etsy so I found this one on AliExpress. They're having a ridiculous sale right now and I got the cable for 77% off. The sale I believe ends in a few hours and that seller has a number of other cables compatible with the R70x so get on it if you're interested. I have it on good authority from the Cheap Headphone Cables Thread that the seller is legit.
Agree on replacing the cable. I’ve been eyeing the same lunashops cable for some time, since it’s the only one I can find for a decent price.
2 things kept me from ordering it though:
  • The overly long headphone-side jacks seem to be made of metal so they are not bendable like the stock rubber ones. On the stock cable I bent them a bit forward to avoid them touching my shoulders. A bit of an awkward design I think.
  • No info about cable stiffness. It only says ‘super soft’ but that could also mean that the nylon braid is soft, the cable may not be very flexible.. e.g. like many of the hifiman cables.
So, have you ordered the cables already? When they arrive, would love to hear your opinion on these 2 points.
About the pricing.. this ‘discount’ was there a few weeks ago and never changed, I think its just the 'regular price'.

Jul 24, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #2,331 of 2,666
Agree on replacing the cable. I’ve been eyeing the same lunashops cable for some time, since it’s the only one I can find for a decent price.
  • The overly long headphone-side jacks seem to be made of metal so they are not bendable like the stock rubber ones. On the stock cable I bent them a bit forward to avoid them touching my shoulders. A bit of an awkward design I think.
  • No info about cable stiffness. It only says ‘super soft’ but that could also mean that the nylon braid is soft, the cable may not be very flexible.. e.g. like many of the hifiman cables.
So, have you ordered the cables already? When they arrive, would love to hear your opinion on these 2 points.
About the pricing.. this ‘discount’ was there a few weeks ago and never changed, I think its just the 'regular price'.
I own serveral of their cables. Various models for various headphones. They are a fantastic bargain. None I have found to be stiff at all if that is your concern. All were better than stock cables.

Jul 24, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #2,332 of 2,666
Yup I did, I'll definitely post when I receive it.

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #2,334 of 2,666
I tried about 6 earpads on these, that I had laying around. Dekoni and Brainwavz various foam, pleather, dimpled hybrid, etc. Most ruined the sound like varying degrees of too V-shaped or hollow, and one sounded better but still not nearly as good as the stock earpads. And just now I'm realizing how badly these touch my ears. I have to lift it off about 1/2 inch for my ears to finally not touch the drivers anymore (touching the soft thin pad it has).

Any suggestions on specific earpads that sound good, and are thicker? To me, "good" would be keepin mostly faithful to the original sound that's linear, detailed and a very slight nod towards brightness.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #2,335 of 2,666
I tried about 6 earpads on these, that I had laying around. Dekoni and Brainwavz various foam, pleather, dimpled hybrid, etc. Most ruined the sound like varying degrees of too V-shaped or hollow, and one sounded better but still not nearly as good as the stock earpads. And just now I'm realizing how badly these touch my ears. I have to lift it off about 1/2 inch for my ears to finally not touch the drivers anymore (touching the soft thin pad it has).

Any suggestions on specific earpads that sound good, and are thicker? To me, "good" would be keepin mostly faithful to the original sound that's linear, detailed and a very slight nod towards brightness.
Have you tried brainwavz XL choice suede? I have a pair on order and hoping they don't alter the sound too much. Can't believe for a hp this light, the pads can be this uncomfortable.

Wasn't aware Dekoni made pads for these.

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #2,336 of 2,666

Shure 1540 pads get recommended, though I haven't tried them myself.

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #2,337 of 2,666
It's not expressly uncomfortable, just annoying knowing my ears are bent touching the interior, and that's probably impacting the soundstage or the like. Deeper earpads increase the soundstage usually as a plus. I'll wait until one of you try your earpads, because they do effect the sound signature - quite drastically in fact. The earpads I tried were not made for r70X and some had to be stretched, but got them to fit perfectly anywayz.

Aug 5, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #2,338 of 2,666
Received these today, second pair after a couple years. Very pleased with the tonality. I was comparing them with the Focal Elex and technically, the Elex is quite a bit better, sounds clearer, more dynamic and detailed. However, the tonality is decidedly colder, steelier and less musical, IMO. For hald the price, the R70X is very enjoyable. I'll be replacing the stock earpads with a deeper set of pads. Seems like similar velour pads don't change the tonality too much as I did roll a set, but since the ones on hand were oval, they changed the staging in a bad way, so rounds it is (ordered these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089F5426S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #2,339 of 2,666
the tonality is decidedly colder, steelier and less musical
This could be the reason why crinacle says the R70x is better than the Elex. There are lots of dynamic headphones which are technically better but the most of them haven‘t got the tonality of the R70x. But which dynamic headphone is a step up?

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #2,340 of 2,666
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back